SAU Community

Show of hands: PowerFC or Wolf3D

ix9

Sorry to do this kinda thread again, but all the others get caught up in bull$hit stories. Only people that actually HAVE/HAD PowerFC's or Wolf's need comment in here as I don't want to hear "I heard my mate done this and it f*cked up that"

I'm lookin for a new ECU/Turbo package.

I'm trying to decide between a Wolf3D, or a PowerFC for the job. I wanna know disadvantages/advantages of both and experiences anyone has had with them. Healthy debate only please. LOCAL people only too please.

The PowerFC can be had with hand controller for around $980 - $1000

The Wolf3D can be had for around $1400 I'm told.

Benefits of Wolf

*Rotational Idle

*Antilag

*Boost Control

*Uses MAP Sensor

Benefits of PowerFC

*Large range of Tuners

*More Maps?

*Plug'n'Play

Okay, let me know what you think....

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wolf do a plug and play for the R33 as well.

Doesn't come with rotational idle though.

Tuning would mainly be done by one shop as they are very good at getting results out of these things that other shops can't.

We have an as new one for sale for $1150

Power FC is a very good computer and has a wider tuning base to work from( ie more shops will do them ).

There are pros and cons for both which I'm sure will only end in a bitch fight again so I suggest you talk to people in PM who have them and ask for there opinions re hot start, cold start, ability to drive large injectors, fuel consumption and cost to get it properly tuned.

Cheers

Ken

Con,

Both computer systems are good.

Something to note is that the power FC uses the MAP sensor inputs much more than most people realise. You can watch the tracer move across the fuel/ignition maps when on boost, ie across the rev range on a fixed Map input.

Personally, I use the Power FC, but there again I only have 300 rwhp.

Programming it is a snack. It starts reliably, hot or cold and drives like an unmodified factory offering.

The decision comes down to this:

The power FC runs better when cruising around town, but can be constrained by airflow meters (In terms of overall flow) at full noise. Power FC will run large injectors well.

Wolf 3D has most of its benefits in large HP motors & will use more fuel when cruising.

For my 10 cents worth, if you are not going for silly horsepower, Power FC is the go.

Both units are the only way to go with Street R33s, The only advantage we have is boost control standard and MAP or MAF sensor plus an Australian warranty.We sell and recommend both. PFC is avalible with MAP sensor now. It only comes down to what is the best deal you work out but take boost kits and larger AFMs into count if needed.

Barries dyno is another shop that does well with Wolfs.

We can give you a demo on both.

Had PFC in both my GTSt and the R.. Never had a drama with either of them, starts perfect everytime. Having said that I'd happily give the wolf a try considering some of the results the boys have got with em...

I run 700cc injectors and the PFC handles em fine.

Would you honestly use antilag if you had it????

Well i have the Wolf and seem ok with it.

the only prob i have is that my air con when turned on keeps stalling the car, i have now spoken to workshop and this can fixed!

ALL GOOD!! and am happy chappy!!

go wolf..... have you ever heard how cool rotational idling sounds!! stuff anti lag rotational idling sounds Yummy!

Brett,

Hell no - but Its one of those things, I'd rather have it and not need it rather than need/want it and not have it... :D Rotational Idle I would have but :D

Dan,

I'm assuming you're using an external EBC, and not the in-built wolf boost control ?

Stuff like that - the aircon stalling is EXACTLY the kinda stuff I want to know :) Thanks

If i had my time again I think I'd go the PFC a lot of initial cold start issues and the auxilaries (like air con, full lock on the steering wheel causing the power steering pump to work harder) coming on making the car stall. I think the PFC and hand controller will also tell you how much engine knock you have, dont think the wolf does that and more tuners around for the PFC as well.

I had a PFC in my old S15 and until recently a PFC in my R. I liked them and found the HC a useful "extra gauge". I particularly liked the knock monitor function as this gave me a good indication as to "how far from the edge" the car was tuned. This helps with "road tuning" for conditions that don't show up on dyno runs (such as very hot weather, sustained high speed/high boost runs on the open road etc).

Without a Datalogit, the PFC is a time consuming to tune. Note that there are firmware quirks between the models with the PFC and not all of the older models are supported by the Datalogit. If you want to be able to log data and change maps (even infrequently), then the Datalogit is essential.

When you factor in the cost of the PFC, HC, Datalogit, bigger AFM's, it actually starts to become a fairly expensive package.

I've chosen to go the Wolf route as I've seen some excellent results first hand from SST on GTR's. For me it's a case of following in the footsteps of people that have achieved first hand what I am aiming for.

My advice is speak to and spend time with owners of each unit and weigh up the pros and cons based on where you (realistically) want to go with your 'line.

My opinion for what it's worth.

I have been running the power FC for a few months now and have been nothing but happy with the results. Everything works the same as it did with the factory ECU (air-con, cold start etc) and I get reasonable power with decent fuel economy.

For a dedicated daily driver and only chasing modest power I think the power FC is a good option. As far as costs go though, I don't think it is necessarily cheaper when you factor in an AFM('s) and EBC on top.

Disclaimer: I don't know much about either ECU, I just know I have had no probs with what I've got.

I've just gone with a PFC also. Very very happy with it. Only prob I am having at the moment is that sometimes it wont start first time, and when it does, shitloads of "fuel" smoke leaves the exhaust. Any ideas as to how I can fix this?

But yeah, everything I would have said, has already been said....so I will leave it at that.