SAU Community

Disc Rotors

Originally posted by benm

I too are looking for a rotor upgrade in around 3mths time. Im sure what i currently have (standard rotors just recently machined) are fine for my driving (10km stints of start/stop) but in that 1 case that i do need to brake heavily i want to know that my gear can handle it.

No idea about any of this stuff, when i recently got new bendix pads on the back i was looking at those yellow dba slotted and cross-drilled fitted for about $1,400 or something ridiculous.

Anyway thats my story.

$1400 :eek:

Cross drilled rotor are excellent for that one off heavy braking situation. If you find yourself braking hard repeatedly then slotted discs are more suitable.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by dbasteve

I get in trouble for this all the time.:P

Because I use these forums to get information on upcoming projects you guys know about new products before marketing. We are still working on the GTS series so additions will be made over the next few months.

So when are the rotors going to be available??

I have no problem getting part numbers from local dealers but when they ring to get prices their told they arn't being made yet.

whether or not to go with slotted rotors depends on the type of driving you do.

Enthusiastic street driving with the occasional track day maybe? :P I was originally going to go for slotted, but then heard that they tend to wear the pads out a lot quicker because of the sharp edges on the slots. Then I read about the new kangaroo paw type, which are meant to cool better than regular slotted rotors, and I was thinking that this should probably be enough because of that.

Originally posted by alistern

So when are the rotors going to be available??

I have no problem getting part numbers from local dealers but when they ring to get prices their  told they arn't being made yet.

Are your discs the 296mm x 32mm, 296mm x 30mm, or the 310mm x 30mm.

If someone is quoting part numbers I suspect it would be a DBA 926 which is in stock.

Do you guys have any idea about 180sx rotors and if they are similar to skylines?

i wanted to know if you guys know any one how does upgrades for the 180sx rotors for track and street use =) somthing similar to what you guys have been talking about -=0)

cheers

Originally posted by red900ss

Steve, are the 926 and 908 available in the Kangaroo Paw version yet? If not, do you have a time frame?

Can someone post a link for the DS 2500 and DS 3000.

Thanks. :P

Yes they are K/Paw

The new DBA 908 (KPaw) is due to be cast this week. It should be available by the end of the month.

The DBA 926 is in stock.

Steve, you're going to have to lift your game, that 7 minutes it took to reply to my question was excessive. j/k :D

I'm after the non-slotted type. These are the ones?

I read the earlier posts but got a bit lost in what's coming and what's available. :(

The car is used for the occasional track day and mild street use. To re-iterate your earlier response you would recommend the DS 3000 pads for the track.

Which pads would you recommend for street use?

Are both these suited to non-slotted discs?

Are the new "Clubspec" discs going to be a better product for the track and street?

So many questions...:)

Originally posted by red900ss

Steve, you're going to have to lift your game, that 7 minutes it took to reply to my question was excessive. j/k :D

I'm after the non-slotted type. These are the ones?

I read the earlier posts but got a bit lost in what's coming and what's available. :(  

The car is used for the occasional track day and mild street use. To re-iterate your earlier response you would recommend the DS 3000 pads for the track.  

Which pads would you recommend for street use?

Are both these suited to non-slotted discs?

Are the new "Clubspec" discs going to be a better product for the track and street?

So many questions...:)

What is done - GTR range Brembo and Standard Nissan + One GTS R33 which uses the 296mm x 32mm front.

What is in progress - GTST R33 296mm x 30mm + GTST4 280mm x 26mm.

The Club Spec discs are designed for Carbon race pads and high heat loads. We haven't released these yet.

The 5000 series two piece rotors are like the Club Spec but with Aluminium hats for weight reduction and extra stability. We haven't released these yet.

The Ferodo DS3000 are excellent for track only use.

For street it depends on how you drive and how much you want to spend. Bendix Metal Kings, Advance, Ultimates, Lucas pads, Race Brakes pads, Ferodo DS2000/DS2500, Mintex 1155 (if you can get them).

These pads can be used on plain discs no problem.

What is done - GTR range Brembo and Standard Nissan + One GTS R33 which uses the 296mm x 32mm front.

What is in progress - GTST R33 296mm x 30mm + GTST4 280mm x 26mm.

From what I understand the 280mm x 26mm would be for the R33 GTS/R33 GTS4, the pdf file on the web site lists this as part #953. This was the same number I was quoted when I asked for prices, but still not available. Is this correct?

Originally posted by alistern

From what I understand the 280mm x 26mm would be for the R33 GTS/R33 GTS4, the pdf file on the web site lists this as part #953.  This was the same number I was quoted when I asked for prices, but still not available.  Is this correct?

Yeh!

The part number is DBA 953, but it hasn't been manufactured yet. This one that we are working on in Dec/Jan. The Catalogue on the website now is for 2003 so there are a few numbers listed that are not stocked yet. Its very similar to the DBA 909 so I would expect the price to be close to that.

Originally posted by JimX

Steve, what will the part number be of the GTS-t kangaroo paw rotors? I wanna keep an eye out for it :(

We dont have a number yet for the 296mm x 30mm R33 GTST. I expect to have something next week. I would say the disc will be in stock Jan 2003 as we already have a casting for it.

Hi Steve,

Sorry I haven't checked the forum in a while (Answering your inital question)..

I recently purchased some DBA slotted rotors and put some bendix standards on (front)...

Works really well, much better braking and very happy (even tho it cost $580 bucks).

I have recently started to notice when coming to a stop the front brakes sound like they are grinding on metal (you can even feel it thorugh the brakes....) really weird.

Also noticed when braking lightly they squeel really bad (but I guess thats the pads..)

If you brake firmly they really grip, it's just light braking sucks (from what I can see)..

Also Steve can you recomend what type of brake pad I should run with the slotted rotors (DBA 926's)??? I don't drive on the track and occasionally brake hard on street..

Don't supose you have an answer for me?

Cheers

Rob

Originally posted by Robo

Hi Steve,

Sorry I haven't checked the forum in a while (Answering your inital question)..

I recently purchased some DBA slotted rotors and put some bendix standards on (front)...

Works really well, much better braking and very happy (even tho it cost $580 bucks).

I have recently started to notice when coming to a stop the front brakes sound like they are grinding on metal (you can even feel it thorugh the brakes....) really weird.

Also noticed when braking lightly they squeel really bad (but I guess thats the pads..)

If you brake firmly they really grip, it's just light braking sucks (from what I can see)..

Also Steve can you recomend what type of brake pad I should run with the slotted rotors (DBA 926's)??? I don't drive on the track and occasionally brake hard on street..

Don't supose you have an answer for me?

Cheers

Rob

Sounds like a dust build up or glazing. If the pads still have plenty of life in them you can rub the surface back on some emery paper to remove the glaze and they should be sweet. Rough up the surface of the disc a little too. This will let the pad and disc bed in on a fresh surface. 80 grit emery paper sheet costs about $1.50 from BBC/Bunnings hardware. If you look closely at the picture I posted of that GTR disc you'll see the surface has been roughed up with this paper.

Another pad worth looking at for the street is Lucas (U.K). They are about the same price as Bendix Standards and work very well. Bendix Standard is being replaced by Advance which is a better product as well.

Thanks for the advice Steve,

Did notice the rotors up the top looking a little scratched....

I thought that with slotted rotor's thats what stops them from getting dust build up... (slot's take that away...)

Ohh well. Off come the wheels again..

Another quick one for you, you mentioned Advanced Bendix pads(I have just heard of them), are they better than Ultmates or which out of the two would you go for?

Cheers

ps. When you say emery paper, is that just sand paper 80 grit??

Originally posted by Robo

When you say emery paper, is that just sand paper 80 grit??

Kinda. There's lots of different types of "sandpaper", but you never actually ask for that at the hardware store. You ask for emery, or garnet paper, or glass paper, or wet and dry etc, plus whatever grade it is. I had woodwork teacher in highschool who used to rub a piece of it across any student's nose who said "sandpaper" instead of the correct type it was :(

Originally posted by JimX

Kinda. There's lots of different types of "sandpaper", but you never actually ask for that at the hardware store. You ask for emery, or garnet paper, or glass paper, or wet and dry etc, plus whatever grade it is. I had woodwork teacher in highschool who used to rub a piece of it across any student's nose who said "sandpaper" instead of the correct type it was :(

Ouch!

Emery paper is dark red/brown in colour and has a cloth backing. It wont impregnate glass grit into the disc/pads which is not a good idea.

We've tried the advance on a few cars an they are very good. Some people prefer them to ultimates, but it depends on your driving style. Ultimates are good for foot stompers and Advance are good for engine brakers (down shifters). The advance doesn't make as much dust either.