SAU Community

Young drivers face fast car ban

XtRoN!C

Hey i think they should change it to what we have here in victoria - a limit of 125kW/tonne whilst on you p's ( in victoria this is usually for 3 years from age 18 to 21)

I think it is reasonable. Every one else can disagree with me, but i probably will never check this thread again so i dont really care. :cheers:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what the hell r young people suppose to do then, cars are a big part of peoples lives under the age of 26

young people have always been crashing their cars, only difference is that we now have much safer cars

what r we supposed to do with our cars? noone will want to buy them because people under 26 are the majority that want them

our government, what a bunch of rednecks

Hey they already have this law in Vic, don't think it can't happen here.

I saw an interesting quote in the paper today "There is already a law against speeding".

If existing laws don't stop this sort of thing what will another law do? or another? or another?

if they ban the age bracket of 26 and under from fast cars, the only thing it gonna do is increase the death toll of people over 26 with fast cars, because all the car enthusiasts will buy a high powered car as soon as they will be able to and have little experience in them, effectively making their experience level the same as a p-plater, except a few years older in age. the only thing this rule would change would be -

under 26 y.o deaths in high powered cars DOWN

over 26 y.o deaths in high powered cards UP

and this is only assuming that everyone follows ridiculous rules like this, which we wont. The government is just too ****ing stupid for its own good. Deaths on roads are inevitable.

THERE IS ONE SIMPLE SOLUTION TO LOWER DEATHS EFFECTIVELY

tougher rules and tests to acquire you license, plus driver education courses being mandatory to both educate and train new drivers. simple as that?? not quite, government cant bring itself to spend the required sum of money to fund it. The government is trying every solution to lower deaths without spending money. Unfair and ridiculous knee jerk proposals like no driving at night for young ppl, not allowed to have 5 people in the car etc. All these rules are outlandish, unfair, not thought through and very difficult to enforce.

All these stupid ass proposals would accomplish is delay much needed experience for young people to a later age, effectively doing nothing but increasing the death toll in later ages than in younger ones. One simple solution - train drivers better by implementing driver education programs while acquiring licenses, it may be costly but its the only sure fire way to lower the death toll across the board.

Sorry for my extensive rant, but as a p-plater im just getting sick of the ignorance of the government and reading about these increasingly obsurd bans we are facing. My 2 cents anyway

Statistics never lie, its the people who present them that warp them and make them suit their own purpose.

I think the whole power to weight thing is absolute bull crap now anyway. power to weight = acceleration, not speeding. Any car can speed, hell my 85 celica will break 180 if i poke it with a stick, my car is not a high powered vehicle but im at just as much a risk of dieing as every other motorist on the road.

Its not the cars that are causing the crashes, its the people. in a similar vain to "guns dont kill people, people kill people" same thing goes for cars.

Seriously if you really think about it, just how many crashes are there that are caused because the car was too powerfull for the driver? Odds are your only going to be able to recall the accidents that you see publisized on tv. You know why? because such accidents are a rarity. Most accidents actually occur to people under the speed limit.

but all this is stupid becasue our government is a bunch of money hungry arsehats. Why focus on safety when they could rip us for a large some of money in the name of "safety", then just spew years and years of speed kills adds to brainwash people into thinking that speed does actaully kill.

They can go **** themselves

Im sick of hearing this shit which some moron keeps trying to bring up.

Is this only a problem now, because there have been two high speed crashes publicised in the media of late ?

Arent higher powered cars released with bigger brakes, better suspension and handling, etc? Wouldnt manufacturers release cars to cope with the extra power? If so, what difference would it make whether they banned high power cars or not? I'm sure a GTR skyline equipped with massive factory brakes would stop much quicker from any speed, than a corolla of any sort. Is it really about safety, or speeding? Because it sure as hell dont look like its about safety. And I suppose when you look at it, its not really about speeding either, because any car will get over the speed limit.

So, who's trying to get some media spotlight ?

It is absolute BULL SHIT

26 yrs old is a bit too extreme

geez, in their line of thinking, why don they just ban hi-po cars for ALL age groups

that way, they should 'theoretically' decrease death tolls for all age brackets????????

the government thinks one way but dont think the other

but seriously, look at vic? who actually still drives restricted vehicles? ALOT of ppl

it wont work, ppl will just not abide by it

also, anyone know how hard it is to get exemptions? assuming you have a valid reason (i.e. only car in house hold + clean as driving record) i hope it would be fine?

have to plan ahead guys in case the worse do come to effect.. 26 yrs old?? lols

anyone can kill themselves in any car, doesnt matter what it is

the amount of lasers n stuff like that ive seen torn apart n smashed to smitherines isnt small by any amount.....

its the drivers.

so what does this mean? lets just ban everyone from driving then no one can get killed on the roads.

what will this do? increase the amount of alcoholism, drug use and crime because everyone is bored out of their brains.

this country seems to keep going backwards

one day we wont be able to breath cos there could be some deadly virus in the air.

pathetic really but its gonna happen. this country needs to take a different approach to this instead of trying to sweep the problem under the carpet and take scapegoats

Trouble is guys and gals the statistics don't lie , do you want to drive legally or drive dead ? I don't want my life to be at risk because some young fool drove way beyond his/hers and or the cars ability to be piloted SAFELY . Young people don't buy or should I say obtain fast cars to go slow . A vehicle in the hands of a maniac is a lethal weapon , flame me all you like but if you loose a friend or family member the reality may sink in .

If you dont want to accept that there is a risk you might die every time you step into a car, WALK to work.

Trouble is guys and gals the statistics don't lie , do you want to drive legally or drive dead ? I don't want my life to be at risk because some young fool drove way beyond his/hers and or the cars ability to be piloted SAFELY . Young people don't buy or should I say obtain fast cars to go slow . A vehicle in the hands of a maniac is a lethal weapon , flame me all you like but if you loose a friend or family member the reality may sink in .

some deaths arent due to driver error

my step dad died 2 1/2 yrs ago on a motorbike not cos he was speeding, not cos he was drunk, not because of another drivers error... it was just an unavoidable accident

accept that fact also

i have had this discussion with friends before

1 the government cant make y sell ur car

2 how can they enforce it... will they drive round with trailers equiped with dynos and a scale to determine illegal

i tell u if the later happens ill follow them around just fot he dyno run

but seriosly a agree with the law sort of

but with a few changes

yes u should be restricted on in some way untill off P's

remain restricted until a type of special license is earnt by advanced driver courses defensive driver couses ect...

i for 1 would be happy with that and yes i am on my P,s and yes i started out in a 98 lancer coupe i know own a very high powered silvia and yes i have completed a advanced driver course

but still this does not make me a good driver as it has been said its all in the attitude

and also in the confidence

to confident = ****y ..more than likely to cause an accident

not enough = not committed or focused on there surroundings

safety is not payed for in taxes so the law would prove usless in the long term

safety is learnt and the road is respected if the government wants to tax me than put it to good use

pay for the education of safe driving

:cheers:

P.S sorry to get all diplomatic but this has been pissing me off for months

someone should email this thread to mr howard get him to become a member

and see if he can b/s his way out of this discussion

P.P.S im dead serious bout the last comment email the nob!!!!

I wish the govt. would realise that it's people that are the problem, not high-powered cars.

My younger brother, a P-plater, drives a GTS25t, which is illegal in Victoria. However, my brother has more respect for the performance of his car and realises that his limits are much lower than the car itself.

As a consequence he is a far safer and more capable driver than the tool in a V6 Commodore hooning around with a deathwish trying to "race" everything in sight and speeding insanely. In this case , it's not the car that's the danger, it's the f*@kwit holding the steering wheel.

I believe there would be more of these aforementioned tools in V6 Commodores that wrap themselves around power poles than young guys in Skylines with respect for the machinery.

It all comes down to attitude, maturity and repsonsiblity not kilowatts, acceleration and top speed. Cars don't kill people, people kill people.

If you dont want to accept that there is a risk you might die every time you step into a car, WALK to work.

people should also realise that u can die on your way to work weather u walk, run, drive, ride, ect...

will the government ban this transport as well

eg.. if i die chewing gum will they ban the gum???? or will they have no chewing areas, its hazordous for your health

Any one else sent in their say, in the "have your say" link. Would be interesting to see how many people have taken the time to comment on this story, and not just on a car forum.

ive thought about it, and come to the conclusion that it is a lost cause. that newspaper is the most useless bogan-oriented newspaper thats only focused towards people that believe more or less everything they read that i really dont think they will take notice.

then again, they would probably be very interested if i said i ran over 4 people on the street in my skyline equipped with a bonnet scoop. (and of course later on find out that i have previously lost my license)

Also, i dont agree with their privacy policy, and i figure unless i post contact details what the point.

I wish the govt. would realise that it's people that are the problem, not high-powered cars.  

My younger brother, a P-plater, drives a GTS25t, which is illegal in Victoria. However, my brother has more respect for the performance of his car and realises that his limits are much lower than the car itself.  

As a consequence he is a far safer and more capable driver than the tool in a V6 Commodore hooning around with a deathwish trying to "race" everything in sight and speeding insanely. In this case , it's not the car that's the danger, it's the f*@kwit holding the steering wheel.

I believe there would be more of these aforementioned tools in V6 Commodores that wrap themselves around power poles than young guys in Skylines with respect for the machinery.  

It all comes down to attitude, maturity and repsonsiblity not kilowatts, acceleration and top speed. Cars don't kill people, people kill people.

I have to agree with you there....in my previous two cars..although i didnt do anything REALLY stupid like going 80km/h + over speed limit...I have to admit I did drive a bit more wildly in it...and I kept on getting speeding fines...all were below 20km/h over speed limit but they added up and I was left with one point on my liscence.

Now im not sure if its cause I got the skyline at a later age or because I almost karked it in my first car... but I am much more aware of what the car is capable of and have more respect for the machinery and as a result I drive much more sedatley.

To date have not had a speeding fine whatsoever in the skyline. touch wood. ;)

government has to realise that hi-po cars are hi-performane in more areas than speed ie braking and handling..

Infact there was one time my "hi-po" brakes saved me from getting in to an accident. I was at the lights....4th car from the front, light goes green all the cars start moving and for some unknown reason the first car suddenly stalls or brakes....consequently the second car hits the first and third hits second but because of my brakes I was able to avoid the accident.

You could put it down to reaction time but im pretty sure I reacted the latest cause I was sort of checkin out this girl at the bus stop as i slowly took off in first... :cheers: