SAU Community

GTR Bonnet

I just think that the $1000 could be better spent

yeah me too, however the c/f bonnets look very nice, and if I can sell mine for teh same price, its not really costing me $1000 is it :(

The Gtr Bonnet is made of aluminium and is very light, and if a gts-t owner wanted to make it look like a gtr, the bonnet is a must, hence they do have some demand.

i got mine a while back from unique autosprts for $1095 back then.

as for diff, the original gtr (r32) bonnet weighs less (by just a few milligrams) and isn't as 'flimsy' as the c/f type. i also have the original bonnet, as a spare.

the only reason i got mine was to help ventilate excess heat, which it does perfectly, as for washing it.....well it's a pain as water gets in engine bay, so everytime i wash car, gotta wipe engine bay as well. haven't had any probs with the electrics in engine bay from water getting through the vents either. but in saying that i don't aim the water spray gun thingy directly at the vents.

i got mine a while back from unique autosprts for $1095 back then.

as for diff, the original gtr (r32) bonnet weighs less (by just a few milligrams) and isn't as 'flimsy' as the c/f type. i also have the original bonnet, as a spare.

the only reason i got mine was to help ventilate excess heat, which it does perfectly, as for washing it.....well it's a pain as water gets in engine bay, so everytime i wash car, gotta wipe engine bay as well. haven't had any probs with the electrics in engine bay from water getting through the vents either. but in saying that i don't aim the water spray gun thingy directly at the vents.

wat about rain (or is yours too powerfull to let out in the rain :headspin: )

and also have you thought about maybe a carbon fibre film, looks the same yet doesn't cost as much and as goran said, the stocker weighs less

UAS now sell the T2 CF bonnet which is better build than the previous T1 but also heavier. Difference is T1 is single skin and has a forward facing vent over the Pods, T2 dual skin and does not have the vent. (second layer is thicker fibreglass)

T1's no longer produced according to UAS.

What was the quality like of the uas bonnet?

Looking at getting one too.

i took the c/f bonnet to billspeed (he works magic with c/f in q.b.n. near the motor registry, he even makes coloured c/f) and he said he was very impressed with the quality. to me it looks ok i guess.

i don't drive (or try not to) drive in rain for one reason only, have falkens semi-slicks and they are drift city once the boost hits on wet roads.

one thing though that i'm a bit 'picky' bout the uas c/f bonnet, is that once it gets wet i gotta wipe it ASAP, as if i don't water seems to get under the 'film' and 'bubbles' up (bout the size of a salt grain) and i can't do anything bout it. but it does go away once it dries.......sometimes.

ohh hey stirlo they are pretty easy to install, fit wise, where a uas c/f bonnet will align perfectly with you're panels.

there are also heaps of other companies selling c/f bonnets as well, like carmate in sydney and viva garage (not sure where they are based) just flick through most car mags.

ALSO last but definetly not the least, be very careful as the authorities (like cops, r.t.a.) they are not too sure bout them being 'legal' as c/f in an accident 'shatters' sending sharp pieces flying all over the place injuring close-by people. that is if you wanna donate you're car to them for crash testing. if in doubt get it engineered.

most companies that make c/f parts for vehicles, cover the c/f with some sort of 'special adehesive' or 'film' which stops 'sharp pieces' flying everywhere in case of an accident. (similar to getting you're car window tinted, where if it gets smashed it'll be held together by the tint)

p.s. the info i've given was from talking to various workshops (making and selling c/f), engineer, r.t.a., and the police.

Cheers Goran, I have been looking at them for a while now and asumed what you have said.

I was actually going to go one of the ones from this forum in the for sale section.

but that depends on weather I can dsell me bonnet for a decent price.

I am selling it soon, but I think it would be easier to seel with c/f bonnet, have rims and F/bar comming too.