SAU Community

Top RB20 Club... do you have over 260rwkw?

Ive got bilsteins in atm, but need a wheel alignmet, bushes/pinapples for the rear then get some better rubber...(looking at Toyo Proxes R888:drooling: ) Im curious to know a time as well, but shes all wheelspin for 2 or 3 gears in the dry atm...;)

Even when launching the way you did when it was making 200rwkw? :D

Here it is.. :D

Does 125km/h sound about right for 5000rpm on your dyno sheet Roy?

Its actually 4,550rpm. Seriously, if you lived in Melbourne id consider doing the swap...it takes me about 2.5 hours to completely remove the turbo setup:)

Id love to drive such a grunty car at the track, would really make you feed in the power and learn throttle control. Get the bigger turbo on there and rubber/alignment and the thing will be awesome with hopefully good traction:)

I got a rb20 180...

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.p...0entry1413806

Not sure of the power... Was going to get a new tune and power run done tomorrow but had some dramas today and think the head gasket has blown some how. Checking it right out tomorrow to see but once thats fixed ill get the tune and power run and post up my numbers :D

Seriously check if it has blown a head gasket. Every one that looked at mine said it had an gave me big quotes for a repair.

I had bubbles spewing out the overflow and it overheated every two seconds.

It turned out to be a bad clutch fan, 2 x 12" Davis thermo's went on, summer came and the same happened again. I dropped a good clutch fan back on it and its been fine since.

The RB20's are pretty tough and hardly ever pop headgaskets.

osiris23 (lol another RB20 powered Troy:)) love the avatar.

I have heard of a few head gaskets failign because of corrosion, but if the thing always runs coolant instead of water i would think its rare. They dont seem to blow gaskets even when they have over heated

well i got twin thermos on my car already..

Alright what happened was i was driving alone today just normally and started to smell something, slowed down for a sec to listen for anything then noticed white smoke comeing out of my right side bonnet vent.... Pulled over right away and poped the bonnet and had white smoke comeing out of my oil catch can breather. Didnt know what the hell was going on so i called a few of my mates and they came and looked at it... Worked out at first earlier that day i was washing my engine bay and must have got heaps of water in my catch can and the water was boiling or something?? Empted the catch can and yer it was full of water but put it all back on and it was doing the same thing but not as bad..

Took it to a mechanic mate and he rekons it was a blown head gasket but getting a compression test done tomorrow to fine out what the problem is..

What do yas think???

one other thing i might add is the car still drives fine apart from the smoke, still boosts etc even though im not if i can help it at the moment....

The boost controller fell apart a few weeks ago so i had been running the boost through the external wastgate and was only pulling 10psi constantly but hooked up a new bleed valve today so the psi was back upto the high level and yer it started playing up... so i duno if i cooked something or it is the head gasket or what..

One more thing the radiator overflow tank was full to the top, usually only half full, the radiator it self was full as well so i was a bit worried about that fluid not being in the motor? :S

temp guage was normal as well i might just add... oil pressure and VAC on the boost guage where normal to...

Did you put the R32 Temp sensor in or did you put the Silvia temp sensor in? If it's the R32 (looks like your running the Slivia cluster) the temps will read diffrent and the car will look like it's not even heating up.

Well after finally sorting out the new ignition set up it made 235rwkw at 16psi but Im not happy with the result.

Previously it made 225rwkw with 12psi. Overlaying the two graphs the 12psi run is ahead on power all the way untill over 5,000rpm and it comes on boost noticably earlier as well. The cause has been a melted cat from all the rich running sorting out the igntion dramas.

And to make matters worse I had a nasty vibration from the timing cover two days after getting it back which has revealed itself to be a shot idler bearing so its off the road again.

I have an R31 Club drag day on the 20th of August so I will just pull the cat back system off and see how much wheelspin I can bog myself in on the line and report back.

**edit. Here is the graph. Red line is 7psi. Blue line is 16psi.

Well did the compression test today on the car... 1st cylinder was 70 dry 90 wet, and 2 3 4 5 6 was 140 so come to the conclusion i have a cracked piston ring..

Thinking of just selling the car as it cheaper and let the new owner fix it up as i just dont have the time or money...

im currently sorting issues with my rb20, have to fab up a real intake as the old girl doesnt like sucking in air right off of the manifold.

rb20 + gt30r seems to be the mint way to go, but i have yet to get a proper dyno as im still chasing problems related to power.......

i will post pics of my latest setup as it should be fun when all is said and done.....

went and picked up my fresh RB20det this arvo... Sounds like it is perfect... from a 4WD cefi auto and dead stock so sounds like it was from a family car..

Be chucking it in in the next few days or so hopefully..

How much do you guys rekon i could get for my other RB20det? It has 50thou over sized pistons etc... how much could i get selling it just the head and bottom end etc... complete just without the manifolds etc?? Would be perfect for a further build up and more power :P