SAU Community

Top RB20 Club... do you have over 260rwkw?

Just thought I'd share my s13. I got her back yesterday. All it has so far is a POD and a short shifter. Doing the exhaust next then intercooler and a bit more boost. I don't know why the sr20 fanboys pay this engine out. I can't get the smile off my face.

post-18813-1125543559.jpg

when i had my rb20 in my old car (s13 hatch) i found it to be boat loads of fun.

now the car (s14) sounds like a pissed off supra when rowing thru the gears, im glad i never did go the sr20 route its so played out and the rb20 just has so much soul to its ehxuast note and loves to be thrashed.

to be honest i dont think i ever had more fun than the stock rb20 in the s13, better ic would have made it better thats for sure.

just wondering.....

i have a rb20 with a hks 2835, microtech, cams, basically everything, it dynoed @ 205kw at 17psi....

does this power figure sound a bit low??

.... sounds like some ppl are making more power with less mods!!

wow, full standalone and not making 260rwkw?

is it just a poor tune or lack of igntion to make things happen?

i made that 387rwhp pull on stock ecu that i had chipped for 550 injectors and z32 maf, other than that it just has a hot timing map and we added some fuel with an emanage (which sucks btw....).

perhaps a new tuner is in the picture?

wow, full standalone and not making 260rwkw?

is it just a poor tune or lack of igntion to make things happen?

i made that 387rwhp pull on stock ecu that i had chipped for 550 injectors and z32 maf, other than that it just has a hot timing map and we added some fuel with an emanage (which sucks btw....).

perhaps a new tuner is in the picture?

yer i was expecting at least 220-230 @ 17psi..... bit disssapointed to say the least.... it feels like the power really drops around 6-6500 rpm when it should still be climbing! it feels slower than my old rb20 with a r33 turbo on it because of the lag.....

engine crap in detail:

microtech lt-12/handset, 3" zorst front 2 back, 3" cooler piping,

blitz sbc controlling boost, 33gtr pump, sard 550cc injectors,

hks 254 inlet 8.5mm lift (?) tomei procam exhaust 264 9.5mm lift(?)

hks cam gears1 and 2835 .60 compressor housing, dunno turbine side

all i can say is its not the number of 205kw that dissapoints me, its the way it feels, and to drive, it has a really narrow powerband, and doesnt pull all the way to redline.. its been tuned by 2 different ppl, very reputable, my last option is to go to tilbrooks but that means more $$$

it wouldnt be the zorst restricting it would it?

what cooler piping size would be recommended>?maybe 3" is too big/?

i hate cars now. they make me broke.

hi peeps mmm what do u think my rb20det will make on the following mods?

6inch k&n

turbonetics t3/t4 60-1 t3 stage 3

q45 90mm afm

600x300x76 fmic

s/s high mount exh manifold

44mm tial wastegate

full 3inch exhaust

modded intake plunem(moved t/b)

port n polished head

modded cams

599cc injectors

500hp fuel pump

turbonetics godzilla bov

apex power fc + boost kit

i want to run upto 18psi

will it make 300 rwkw? :)

yer i was expecting at least 220-230 @ 17psi..... bit disssapointed to say the least.... it feels like the power really drops around 6-6500 rpm when it should still be climbing! it feels slower than my old rb20 with a r33 turbo on it because of the lag.....

engine crap in detail:

all i can say is its not the number of 205kw that dissapoints me, its the way it feels, and to drive, it has a really narrow powerband, and doesnt pull all the way to redline.. its been tuned by 2 different ppl, very reputable, my last option is to go to tilbrooks but that means more $$$

i had a similar problem on my rb 20, turns out it was a blocked rear muffler. are you having any trouble gettiing boost ?

hey guys, i get my 32 tuned in 2 weeks, so ill post up the dyno sheets when its done, hoping for 300rwhp with the following mods,

high flowed turbo

hks intercooler

3.5 inch apexi exhaust

gtr injectors

bosch 040 pump

tomei poncams

power fc with boost kit

blitz intake

running 18psi

hey drifter, i dont have any problems making boost!

i have just found an exhaust leak where the turbo bolts on to the manifold, i fixed that up, and now it feels smoother to drive, but i cant really tell if its any better...

thats a good idea tho, ill check if the mufflers blockd, thanx..

well that is certianly very curious as to why its not making power because with that setup i would expect a fairly fast spool and good powerband.

do you have a cat on the car? if you do perhaps it is melted shut.

on my car the charge pipes are 2.5" and my exhaust is 2.5" to 3" back (turbo elbow is 2.5").

engine crap in detail:

Drop the exhaust at the inlet to the cat and do one quick power run on the dyno. That will tell you whether it is the exhaust or not. For 20 minutes and $50 well spent.

:) cheers :(

Edited by Sydneykid

If you don't want to spend a great deal trouble shooting look at Blackwood auto and dyno. They only change $35 for a power run vs $80+ from other workshops.

Get them to throw it on their hoist, drop the exhaust as SK has stated, quick power run. $max 100 later I would say the exhaust will be either ruled out or culprit.

If Blackwood can't get you in I would say Boostworx.

u guys mean drop the exhaust completely off the turbo and do a power run with the exhaust straight onto the firewall!!?? SAFE!

the cat and muffler arent blockd at all... the cat is hollo-spec.

blackwood auto ey$35 is a very good price....

i have tried boostworx, sean is good $$wise aswell

the only other thing i can think of is the dump pipe looks so dodgy, its almost home made, but it is 3" so there shouldnt be any probs..... maybe it just comes down to the tune

well by hollo-spec i meant hollow, but it is somewhere in between 2.5-2.7" cos it does look like the stocko with flanges welded on to join up with the 3" piping.... i didnt know this b4! i just guessed it was 3"

so my yer, zorst goes 3" to 2.5 to 3" but surely it would only cause minor restriction...