SAU Community

Top RB20 Club... do you have over 260rwkw?

are u still using the td06 20g 8cm turbo roy? has anything else changed between me readin pages 1 thru 60 lol? do u use adjustable cam gears?

Nothing has really changed with my engine. Just running more boost then i use to. I have cam gears though i dont recall the settings. I think the best bet is to have your tuner play with them to find the happy mediul you are after

Its not really on song until 4,500rpm. With bad tyres thats when traction becomes a bit wigidy wigidy :D With semis thats where it just grips and pulls.

And in the true terms of lag, say i shift back to 3rd at 100km/h which equates to say 5,000rpm...if i floor it it shoudl boost quikcly as its in the rpm it makes full boost. If you look at this delay as lag then it does take about 1 second to clear its lungs and pull. Thats where i have been ina few other cars and when up int he rev range they do punch quicker with a little less lag. But we are talking fractions of a second. The only place to use the power is the track anyway and when you know about it you just drive around it.

I made the decision recently no more money is beign spent on the car after my Jan pay, so since i wont have enough cash to finish the new motor odds are the old RB20 will get the new water pump, idler/tensioner, timing belt and 260/8.8 cams i have laying around.

You watch, now that i need the current motor to last unitl Oct 07 so will pull boost back to 18psi, the thng will go bang. Its always the way, when you care it all goes to shit. When you couldnt care less they just keep on truck'n

You watch, now that i need the current motor to last unitl Oct 07 so will pull boost back to 18psi, the thng will go bang. Its always the way, when you care it all goes to shit. When you couldnt care less they just keep on truck'n

ain't that the truth :)

can't wait to see how it goes with cams! :laugh:

• 1 month later...

Thread revival time :D

I just read the entire thread back to front so I may be a little incoherent :D

Roy's TD06 gave me a little inspiration to do some research into Mitsu turbo's and I'm very impressed. Found this page for specs - http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/sho...ead.php?t=26477

TD05-16G (small) 345-365hp @ 22 psi

TD06-16G (large) 365-385hp @ 22 psi

TD06-20G 430-450hp @ 22 psi

I'm leaning towards the TD05H-16G at the moment for a goal of 300rwhp (~225kw). Is this being realistic?

There seem to be alot of slightly different turbo variations ranging from 340 - 400hp. The main goal is just to have a streetable car thats a bit faster than your average RB20. Anything over 300rwhp would be a bonus, a very very nice bonus :)

A few questions for the wise... since the turbo is only oil cooled, will I have to get an oil cooler to keeps temperatures down?

Is a high or low mount setup recommended?

My plan is to get a china manifold and chop the T3 flange off an weld on a new one to suit, likewise the dump pipe (though slightly more work...)

Lastly, will the internal gate be alright or should I be looking at an external gate and weld the internal up?

Thanks in advance

-Matt

i would fit an oil cooler anyways since the std rb20 doesnt have one unlike the 25 and 26...

besides coolers are cheap, source a volvo 760 turbo in the yard and grab the cooler from it they are setrab units and are farking huge!

the cooler i have is from an 89ish turbo and measures 100mm tall x 285mm long x 50mm thick, rather beastly indeed.

pick up a mocal adaptor plate and some hose and you will be mint.

• 4 weeks later...

Dont let a good thing die!

Gave it another good workout on the weekend at a skidpan day. Because its 2007 and i need the engine to hold together until after my OS trip i wound the boost back to 1 bar and the rev limit back to 7,400rpm. Still drove the wheels off the thing and again the engine has come through with flying colours.

Gearbox will rack up 190,000kms in the next fortnight and even its still holding up after 40,000kms of TD06.

April could be where it all goes pear shaped. After the weekend on street tyres i dont think i like how the car drives on road rubber, so doubt i will do a track day on street tyrs. This means the expense of yet another set of expensive semi slicks. So next Sandown if all is going well with the new diff, cams and rubber...the old girl will get a last ditch run at 1.5bar in an attempt to get a time out of the little RB20 :P

What happens in april ???

Sandown...its a bit of a running joke with the Vic track guys. 2 years ago 1:25 was considered pretty fast for a modded GTR. They are now going a lot quicker so i need to get all i can out of the RB20. So that means installing my cams and asking the tuner to fix up the air:fuels at way too much boost. I need 270rwkws and a bit more meat at 4,500rpm if im going to do the time i want.

Sandown...its a bit of a running joke with the Vic track guys. 2 years ago 1:25 was considered pretty fast for a modded GTR. They are now going a lot quicker so i need to get all i can out of the RB20. So that means installing my cams and asking the tuner to fix up the air:fuels at way too much boost. I need 270rwkws and a bit more meat at 4,500rpm if im going to do the time i want.

can't wait to see results Troy :laugh:

Valve float could be a problem. But its not the sort of thing that I noticed when I last ran that boost. When its getting the tune checked for that boost if its not making the power it should then safe to say it could be a problem and we may need to wind boost back to a point where its making expected power for boost

Valve float could be a problem. But its not the sort of thing that I noticed when I last ran that boost. When its getting the tune checked for that boost if its not making the power it should then safe to say it could be a problem and we may need to wind boost back to a point where its making expected power for boost

are you going to get new valve springs when you get the cams installed? That should fix any valve float probs..?

I would go the performance springs ,I had a set of the gtr springs to go in this build but standard specs said they were only 24kg spring pressure which by many was considered not enough for my application at 22.5 boost . I got the performance springs for the gtr and tested them and they were double that

cheers Peter

P.s roy are u running adjustable cam gears ??? if so can you record what they set them at just wanna compare to my old set up

Forget valve springs. The RB20 is only getting the cams because the tune is a little light up top when i ran 20-22psi. It was only ever meant to run 15-18spi. So if the tune is going to get touched up may as well throw the timing belt, water pump and idler/tensioner that are laying around at it.

But no valve springs. Its a wrecker motor, and based on the fact it doesnt breath a single drop of oil i think its in pretty good health, I have only done 15,000kms on the engine.

So yeh, in my books the only good RB20 is an unopened RB20 :happy:

...i will note the cam gear settings pre cams and post cams. The tuner doesnt want me to try the cams...but fark it. If it loses a bit under 4,000rpm i wont be happy but hoefully it will help the top a little. The engine has a finite life anyway , so... Shits and giggles...how much can a std bottom end take :)

hahahahah yeah damn chasis just wasn't strong enough to fend of that pole engine was fine keeping it as a spare well my second spare never hurts to have to many spares .The engine in the new 32 I bought was a built engine but when I pulled it down for inspection it had major detanition in 1 and 6 rest of the engine was perfict.Mains and big ends looked new still but since it was down that far decided to rebuild it with 40thou oversized pistons (79mm) and put the rb25 crank in it pic's of the where im upto now are in my "again"

thread

Cheers Peter