SAU Community

Top RB20 Club... do you have over 260rwkw?

Because it has such a nicer spread of power now i dont rev it as hard. Shift lights start at 6,500rpm, and the dash flashes at me at 7,500rpm. The dash lights didnt flash on either of those laps, normally only the first two lights (@250rpm intervals) so shifting at around 7,000rpm.

The drop in revs used makes the water temps lower as well, i assume it will run lower oil temps as well. So all good

Here is an earlier lap. It was my first go at trying to get a decent time so still the lines are up the clacker

Roy that looks AWESOME !!

i just mine tuned with the hks manifold and FF plenum. The 2535 is running out of efficiency, only way to make more power is to fit a bigger turbo, altough it would be tough to fit it on the low mount mani.

I think shes ready for some track runs now ! ill b going to WSID first then in July to the SAU track day...

post-1041-1175901015.jpg

that curve looks fantastic for an rb25, when do you start seeing decent boost/power?

It is an RB20. It builds boost and you feel the increase in torque around 3,800rpm but it doesnt really boogie until 4,3000-4,500rpm

Jnr...any pics of the plenum? Did you make more power in the mid, top end...whats your general feeling?

Why would you spend all that money putting in an RB25 to make 200rwkws max. When for less money you can bolt on a nice turbo and keep the big brother honest :thumbsup:

And it has been reliable. I would like to see how a full 2835 setup would go an RB20. GT30R seem to work well as well, but you are perhaps throwing away a bit too much 3,500-4,500 power to make the big top end. Still those that have done it are still quicker then me over the qtr so...GT30R obviously works as well :)

That is very very impressive power for an RB20, has a nice good power band. Looking at that I tend to agree, at least if you aren't using it on the road - bang for buck looks like a matched turbo in an R32 is a good way to go. A GT2871R should be quite nice on one as well.

Nicely done ;)

It is an RB20. It builds boost and you feel the increase in torque around 3,800rpm but it doesnt really boogie until 4,3000-4,500rpm

Jnr...any pics of the plenum? Did you make more power in the mid, top end...whats your general feeling?

Its all top end now, at the price of loosing some down low. Its all happening between 7000 - 7500rpm.

Doesnt fry the 265s like i would of thought as the curve is fairly linear down low...

here is a pic of the plenum...

post-1041-1176372901.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

For those that care. Engine ran like a train again today. Upped the revs back to 8,200rpm to get out of the slow corners at Sandown. No data logger in the car so no idea what boost i was running. It was either 16 or 19psi. Either way it was pulling away from most other cars on the day. The only quicker rwd car was a race prepped Datsun 1600 which was quickest car on the day. Then it was two built GTRs, a built an cgaed STI then me. So the motor is strong. Only wish the brakes and suspension were up to the task.

At the moment, the car is slower then the engine, so need to sort the rest of the car to show how strong the lil 20 is :P

Its all top end now, at the price of loosing some down low. Its all happening between 7000 - 7500rpm.

Doesnt fry the 265s like i would of thought as the curve is fairly linear down low...

here is a pic of the plenum...

I like the look of that plenum :(

where did you buy the plenum from and for how much?

how hard was it to bolt up and get everything working right, as i see you kept the standard throttle body...

any pics of the plenum before you bolted it to the engine :cool:

As I dont have a current dyno sheet to confirm my place in this topic, i guess i will have to get a print out from somewhere soon :) My car weighs 920kg and does 11.08 @ 118 mph so i would suspect it would be around the low to mid 200kw mark. I am still using the std RB20 AFM so the low 200kw mark would probably be more realistic :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

Troy, I've read all 64 pages. Truly amazing, man. Never thought that a dark horse like RB20 could make such power on stock bottom end. I think u haven't replaced the gasket yet, right ?

Anyway, I've seen one of your vids on youtube. It seems you lost control there, spun and hit something with the rear of your car. You ok ? How is the r32 ? Minor damage I guess ? Good luck man ! Really educating topic!

I like the look of that plenum :D

where did you buy the plenum from and for how much?

how hard was it to bolt up and get everything working right, as i see you kept the standard throttle body...

any pics of the plenum before you bolted it to the engine :action-smiley-069:

Its a Stryder plenum, unfortunately they dont make them anymore... paid 600...

it would have been easy to bolt on it the std runners were flat, it wasnt until it was all in that i realised that it was warped and air was going in from outside, had to get it machined flat, and it was all sweet... both AAC and IAC valves are working fine....

Did a 12.55 last week at WSID , I will be going back soon to try out the Anti-lag feature on the Haltech...

Troy, I've read all 64 pages. Truly amazing, man. Never thought that a dark horse like RB20 could make such power on stock bottom end. I think u haven't replaced the gasket yet, right ?

Anyway, I've seen one of your vids on youtube. It seems you lost control there, spun and hit something with the rear of your car. You ok ? How is the r32 ? Minor damage I guess ? Good luck man ! Really educating topic!

Yeh it was a bid lose, bit cheated a big accident at 200km/h+ . The tyre marks buffed off, the dent was kicked out and im back out there this weekend fanging it. it doesnt look great, but people will walk by and not notice, so reall, really lucky. No headgasket etc, compeltely std RB20.

jnr32r...awesoem work, what mph and reaction time. Also the tyres you were running. LOL want to see another person run a low 12 so i dont have to :(

Roy further more to our PM's.....

I just bought a 2535 today and im gonna give that a shot before i step up to a TD06 or 2835. Like JNR im hoping for a 12sec pass which i dont think should be too much of an issue (being 4WD).... Unsure if the added weight will hamper that possibility though, but launching it, that is if my gearbox is up to it, should net me a 12... Any thoughts anyone?

BTW being 4WD am i cheating lol....

Either way as soon as the results are in i will post 1/4 times, RWKW and AWKW.

Its a Stryder plenum, unfortunately they dont make them anymore... paid 600...

it would have been easy to bolt on it the std runners were flat, it wasnt until it was all in that i realised that it was warped and air was going in from outside, had to get it machined flat, and it was all sweet... both AAC and IAC valves are working fine....

Fark, you mean where the plenum bolts onto the head yer? Better check my Ku Engineering one to see if its all shweet.

jnr32r...awesoem work, what mph and reaction time. Also the tyres you were running. LOL want to see another person run a low 12 so i dont have to :D

Roy: on Mickey Thompsons 255/60/15, see attached time slip. I only got 1 run on the MTs as the previous 3 were on shity falken zeis... Next time im out im aiming for 11.999 (just so that i can say i have an 11sec unopened rb20). Although I think power is limiting factor to get there @ 235rwkw.

MADGT4: Weight is a big factor, I weighed mine @ work the day before the drags and it came back at 1320Kg without driver and 1/4 fuel in tank. I think that being awd is equivalent to having a rwd r32 with MTs. So my guess is that you should get a mid 12 if ~220 - 250 rwkw

Wheezy: It can be difficult to see if it is actually warped, if in any doubt i suggest to get it machined ~$40-80. Or put it on surface that is dead flat and look for any gaps especially on the ends...

post-1041-1178888387_thumb.jpg