SAU Community

Installing boost gauge in r32

HCR32

Hey guys i have tried to search the forums but i couldnt find anything,

im installing my boost gauge this weekend on the r32, all i want to know is where i make the crucial cut, which rubber pipe, to fit the t peice into.

If anyone has any pics, they would help me greatly.

thanks guys.

Get a small T from Supercheap, and T it just before the MAP sensor, as for tubing just get something similar to the existing stuff going in to the MAP sensor.

If you're not sure what the MAP sensor is, it's a little black box on teh firewall on the drivers side under the hood.

All mine is held on with cable ties with no worries, get hose clamps though if you're worried.

Hey Ash,

thanks for that man. i got new tubing and T peice from bunnings ware house and fitted the boost gauge into the r32, works sweet! Running 10 psi and spikes to 11 some times.

Didnt know it was that simple.

All up costed me $4 to fit instead of $80 which i was quoted...

fun it off a vacum pipe from the intake plenum to see how much boost reaches the engine.

ps. skylines don't have map sensors they are air flow meters.

That's exactly where the "MAP sensor" is hooked up to, now call it what you want but that black box on the firewall reads engine pressure/vacuum, so my guess is both the ECU and std gauge read from it.

MAP & MAF tuning are not mutually exclusive, you can run a car with both, and my understanding is that's exactly what a RB20DET does. But, i am by no means an expert, and happy to stand corrected if presented with an authorative source.

Edit: btw HCR32, you're very welcome, happy to help.

i thought that the idea of a map sensor was to eliminate the restrictive AFM so more boost could be run and could be tuned better. ie. car with AFM doesn't have/need MAP/MAF sensor and a car with a MAP/MAF doesn't have a AFM. i'm not being a dick i'm just trying to understand the difference between the two and what cars have them or don't.

MAF-less tunes end up higher power when you've been maxing the AFM out, so you ignore it and tune soley on MAP, but as a general rule it ends up in being a worse "tune" as you have less resolution.

Now i stress the word "general", some are fine, with all these things it comes down to the quality of the tuner. As a side note, some of the 300 odd KW HSVs use a MAF-less tune whereas the regular GENIII variants use MAF (and possibly MAP).

I just installed a Boost gauge in my 32, added a T-Piece just off the original Boost/Vaccuum gauge. Unfortunatley there is always a slight delay on the reading.

I'm guessing the only way to reduce this time delay is to drill a new hole through the firewall and make the hose length as short as possible. Seems like too much mucking around with too many possible negative side effects. I should probably keep my eyes on the road more anyway....