SAU Community

POWER RESTRICTIONS APPROVED, to be introduced in 2005

78vbsle

Bad news for all you P-platers I'm affraid, today the NSW state government (NSW labour party) announced it will be introducing power restrictions on P-platers in early 2005. Here's what I know about the restrictions so far.

1. Power restrictions will only apply to 1st year P-platers (p1 licence holders).

2. Restrictions include all V8's, Turbo/Supercharged and Modified cars.

3. There will be exemptions made for those who already own high powered cars (as in already own them as of this date).

4. Similar exemptions will also apply to those who drive a parents or work vehicle.

In the end it's not as bad as it could have been, but it still sucks for all you p-platers.

But somehow I get the feeling this will just mean we will see alot more sleepers on our roads.

A small quote from an artical in the daily telegraph

The Government says the onus will be on P-plate drivers as to whether they comply with the State Government's new road rules.  

However the new restrictions attracted heavy criticism by some in motoring circles yesterday.  

Mechanics have branded the new vehicle restrictions "a waste of time".  

"What's going to stop P-platers from buying a little Corolla and making modifications to the engine?" asked Aaron Burgess, director of Ruf Performance at Ingleburn.  

"They will still hot up their cars, it's in their nature.  

"The Government is trying to create laws that will protect everyone but I can't see how it will be policed if young drivers are getting around in small modified cars - sometimes it's hard to tell what's been done to them."

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the looks of things, whats stopping them to just get the car(s) registered in their parents name(s)? That way you save on insurance as well as this. Then, all they have to say is that "it's their parents car" and that they're little corolla is in the shop getting serviced....

Stupid phucking idea especially if they are unable to adequately police it......

Actually for all the dooms-saying I welcome this.

I didn't let myself buy a turbo till now and I'm well off my p's so others can wait 1 year. Go get drunk more often go get honies.

And I have to agree this maybe selfish (sorry p platers) but *if* p platers were like %50+ of the under 25s causing me be reemed for insurance than hey I'll be happy. Good point benm.

On the other hand insurance companies... sif they'll pass it on.

Wonder if it will make any difference at all since currently there'd have to be quite a few blown/turboed/8 car registered to P platers.

I think it is a great idea, wayyy too many P-Plate d1ckheads driving around like tools showing off (causing me to pay a higher insurance rate).`

You only get lower premiums if it works, and judging buy it's failure in Vic, power restrictions won't work here either, the only thing that will change is the types of cars they crash.

the only thing that will change is the types of cars they crash.
Exactly! My previous car cost me $800/yr to insure, my skyline costs me 3x that with the only difference being the type of car and the value of the car. If their are less skylines on the road driven by young P-Platers the chance of accidents/thefts/etc is less meaning insurance costs should come down (not next month or the month after but over the next 5yrs).

guys ive been hearing about restrictions on p platers this hole month. is it just in nsw.. cos ppl in vic keep telling me about it asif its happening in victoria.. being a p plater that has a skyline, it freaks me out.. i dun want to hav to sell my car.. and for all you guys giving p plates a lecture.. get over it. i say if u can afford it. do wat you like.!

guys ive been hearing about restrictions on p platers this hole month. is it just in nsw.. cos ppl in vic keep telling me about it asif its happening in victoria.. being a p plater that has a skyline, it freaks me out.. i dun want to hav to sell my car.. and for all you guys giving p plates a lecture.. get over it. i say if u can afford it. do wat you like.!

Actually it's been in victoria for several years already, doesnt seem to be policed well though.

from what I know it is based on the factory power to weight ratio of the car, which means as long as your car is under that limit off the factory floor it's legal.

It also appears from what I have been told that you are allowed to modify the car for as much power as you want because the power to weight ratio is only based on the factories power to weight ratio.

The new restrictions you have been hearing about only apply to NSW so far.

As long as I don't have to sell my car, fine. Thank **** I don't have that long to go on my red P's.

I still believe they need to focus more on other areas as well as banning things. but what can u do.....

2. Restrictions include all V8's, Turbo/Supercharged and Modified cars

---------

This is pretty silly, because some turbo cars aren't very powerful, whilst some N/A 6cyl cars are extremely powerful

as an example:

Mitsubishi Cordia GSR Turbo (AC) = 90kilowatts @ 1.06 tonne

Ford Telstar TX5 Turbo = 87kw @ 1.117 tonne

(4 cylinder turbos)

or

Porsche 911 GT3 RS = 280kw @ 1.36 tonne

Honda NSX = 201kw @ 1.39 tonne

(both 6 cylinder N/A)

I think the approach Victoria has (restriction of 125kw/tonne) is a much fairer way of assessing this type of restriction.

good ruling i'd say. i myself am a p-plater(green). im sick of some red p-platers driving like superman. geez, if ya gonna drive like a pro on da road, atleast do it rite and at the rite time. not at some 50km/h street.

yeh, premium is soooo ghey, i would have though driving for 5yrs straight(good record) would have earnt ya good premiums, but nooooooo. excess and premi are still skyrocket.

ok, quick question.. unfortunately last year i lost my lisence therefore if the limit of passengers comes into place will i also be enforced? Because i lost my lisence under the current ruling (fine + 3month suspension) so therefore nothing on my suspension paper stated i would have a restriction on passengers. Do i have to be restricted?