SAU Community

POWER RESTRICTIONS APPROVED, to be introduced in 2005

78vbsle

:bananamanGO QUEENSLAND:bananaman

nah seriously, i reckon it's a good thing. Respect should be earned, that goes for cars................if you're too kool to drive around in something that isnt a V8/Turbo/etc for the first year of learning to drive (and the real learning begins once you're on your p's) then you dont have the right attitude to be on the road in the first place, those are the types of people who are going to do stupid shite to impress people...........

lower insurance premiums and BRING ON THE 350Z

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, and I was going to swap my R32 GTR for a Smart car. LOL

Sucks to be a Mexican!

2. Restrictions include all V8's, Turbo/Supercharged and Modified cars

---------

This is pretty silly, because some turbo cars aren't very powerful, whilst some N/A 6cyl cars are extremely powerful

as an example:

Mitsubishi Cordia GSR Turbo (AC)  = 90kilowatts  @ 1.06 tonne

Ford Telstar TX5 Turbo = 87kw @ 1.117 tonne

(4 cylinder turbos)

or

Porsche 911 GT3 RS = 280kw @ 1.36 tonne

Honda NSX = 201kw @ 1.39 tonne

(both 6 cylinder N/A)

I think the approach Victoria has (restriction of 125kw/tonne) is a much fairer way of assessing this type of restriction.

what kinf of stnace will insurance companies be taking on this, eg. will people who are on P1's be able to insure a fast car, or will this be similar to dirnk driving as far as insurance goes, u crash a car thats too powerful.....your ****ed

I think its a good idea, seen the amount of p-plate d***heads that spoil it for the real Skyline enthusiasts. Lets face it people, for the majority of us out there that have any type of car with (no power to neck breaking power), when we have just obtained our licence, we do not have any experience. We think we know how to drive, buit the reality is we don't.

I'm sure we all agree that any car out there can be crashed at any speed and cause serious injury, or even death. But when your in a machine that is capable of getting to those high speeds faster than a corolla, then your gonna wanna push it there as many times as you can, because you've got something to prove.

These restrictions are all scare tactics so that it makes you think twice before doing something stupid. I'm in Vic and we've had power restrictions here for a while, but they are not policed correctly, so a lott of guys get away with it. The ones that slip the rear out around corners and take-off from a set of lets like its a race, are the ones that get done.

They are not refering to top speed when putting the restriction in place...they are mainly refering to how quickly it gets there. the top speed isn't really an issue because the speed most people will drive them any car could do. it's more the fact that it reaches that speed much faster and is therefore capable of putting the driver in a bad situation much faster. other drivers don't expect the cars to be approaching that quickly and young drivers with no experience will only think as far ahead as the car infront. when they have much more power 'some' will rush up to the cars infront and not think about wats going on ahead. that is based on some young drivers not all...but remember...stereotypes don't create themselves out of thin air...someone has to provide evidence of it. how many people can remember gettin in their mates car who was first to get their licence and speeding aorund. not jsut imports...any car.

ahaha i love how everyone jumps onto the whole thing "THAT p=platers skyline are dickhead etc etc, should ban them etc etc etc"

Funny i see more 20+ year old people being ****heads in there car than P platers. i think you guys need to get over yourself its not the age of the driver it is the attitude u dont have to be a p -plater to be a dickhead on the road and kill someone

just my 2cents, as i am sick on people giving p-platers shit. i have had my P's for just under a year, i learnt to drive on the r33 and i have yet to have a crash or anything alone those lines yet.

mehh..

end /rang

2. Restrictions include all V8's, Turbo/Supercharged and Modified cars.

Ummmm i dont think that is true, i think they said the restrictions will include most V8's, Turbo/Supercharged cars, not all Turbo cars. I'd say they'd get a database going with every single car that can be registered in Australia, & put simple figures into the database of how much power the car puts out & its weight, thatl'll give the power to weight ratio & they wont allow P1 drivers to drive any car with over 'x amount' p:w. Before they bring it in they'll have to have a website where you can check what cars are banned or not for P1 drivers.

All in all i think its a good idea, It is only 1 year on your P1's, & then once you've got your P2's your right to get that skyline~! Owww they are talking about compulsory advanced driver courses too, that’s defiantly a good idea, I’d like to do one myself.

Ummmm i dont think that is true, i think they said the restrictions will include most V8's, Turbo/Supercharged cars, not all Turbo cars.  I'd say they'd get a database going with every single car that can be registered in Australia, & put simple figures into the database of how much power the car puts out & its weight, thatl'll give the power to weight ratio & they wont allow P1 drivers to drive any car with over 'x amount' p:w.  Before they bring it in they'll have to have a website where you can check what cars are banned or not for P1 drivers.

All in all i think its a good idea, It is only 1 year on your P1's, & then once you've got your P2's your right to get that skyline~!  Owww they are talking about compulsory advanced driver courses too, that’s defiantly a good idea, I’d like to do one myself.

You'd think so wouldn't you? I mean it makes sense. But that's exactly what telegraph said yesterday - V8's, turbo/supercharged not MOST V8's, turbo/supercharged.

it was sort of a joke poking fun at the amount of high powered imports that have been in crashes and that all of them just about have been shown on tv. basically saying that it only needed 1 or 2 people to crash and then "all p-plater must crash" basically it was badly put by me

What makes you all think it will stay at 1 year? the pollies will see that the restriction isn't working and extend it again and again and again untill you have to be 30 to own a performance car.

Even if it dose work they will still add to it every year just like they have with speed cameras, thats how they avoid a public revolt too, they introduce a small change in legislation that 'dosn't seem too bad' then they add to it through the years untill we say "oh $hit we'r in trouble" and its too late to do anything about it.

Its kinda like if you put a frog in hot water, it will jump right out. But if you put a frog in cold water and slowly heat it up it will sit there and boil to death.

We need to do something, I don't want to live in a vicious police state in 2 years time, its bad enough as it is.

You'd think so wouldn't you? I mean it makes sense. But that's exactly what telegraph said yesterday - V8's, turbo/supercharged not MOST V8's, turbo/supercharged.

Well the government isnt stupid 'well to some degree they are but...' they are people with brains like us... I'm pretty sure they'll do something similar to what i said, to ban all turbo cars would be very stupid seeing as not all turbo cars are fast, especially 4wd & turbo diesel cars. Nothing is hard copy yet so we're just going to have to wait till it has officially been passed & stated as law.

Well the government isnt stupid 'well to some degree they are but...' they are people with brains like us... I'm pretty sure they'll do something similar to what i said, to ban all turbo cars would be very stupid seeing as not all turbo cars are fast, especially 4wd & turbo diesel cars.  Nothing is hard copy yet so we're just going to have to wait till it has officially been passed & stated as law.

Agreed. If they did it would discriminate both ways like someone said before about the performance 6's and against things like the smart car. That'd be funny, you take off at the lights, barely catching up to the push bike next to you in a smart car. Get pulled over by the cop saying: "You are driving a prohibited performance vehicle, sir, step out of the car. I am giving you a fine."

Just kidding, i know those smart things go quite alright.

2004 SMART fortwo

Power 45kW @ 5250rpm

Torque 95Nm @ 2000rpm

Acceleration 0-100Km/h 15.5 secs

Fuel Consumption City 5.9L/100km

Fuel Consumption Highway 4L/100km

Method of Delivery Electronic Sequential

Fuel Delivery Multi-Point Injected

Induction Turbo intercooled

:headspin:

45kW????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My god, thats way too fast.

i think all that can be said has been said

P1 i think is a good idea

I'm quite relieved as i'm on P2.. i'm interested in seeing the training they will bring in.. hope it doesnt cost too much though..