SAU Community

R32 GTR - power cuts out@2600rpm

GTSpec

Ive picked up my R32 GTR, absolutely great condition. However, after a descent run (but not always, its happened twice so far) the car will not rev past 2600 rpm, power completely cuts out as if hitting redline. Car works fine normally and this has only happened twice. Cant get into hypertune or racepace till new year so wondering if anyone had any possible causes?

My temp gauge usually shows a temp of 83 degrees... is this normal or high?

When I first picked up my SR20 180SX a few years back I found an RPM 'window' from 3000 to 5000 where power all but died. It turned out to be a fuel pump that was on its last legs and pumping at 40% capacity. After replacing it, the car run beautifully and power delivery was restored to normal.

This fuel problem occurred 90% of the time. The frequency of your problem sounds a bit more like its electrical, but if you run short of ideas, perhaps get your pump tested?

Mark

the car will not rev past 2600 rpm, power completely cuts out as if hitting redline.

He said it cuts out completely

']more likely than not, its your intercooler piping. check all the clamps to make sure they are secure. also check that there are no hoses that are split.

How can a small leak do just that?

Please explain

Zahos: i blew the clamp off my cooler piping and it would not accelrate past something similar to GTSpec's rpm. It really does feel like hitting rev limiter. The fact that air was escaping and not going into the motor will make it run like shit.

did the pipe blow off completely or was it just enough to leak?

Coz I have blown my cooler pipes right off before, and I couldn't even drive the prick.

I have also had leaks, but it only made it hessitate (yes it did run like complete crap, but I could rev it well past 2600 rpm)

If his car drives fine most of the time, and twice (twice is a key word here), it has not revved past 2600 rpm, then it is most likely some sort of sensor crapping itself / not connected properly.

AFM is the first thing that comes to mind. It could be something else, but I dont want to be a keyboard tuner and say exactly what it was without looking at it.

well i dont know exactly what his problem could be but you would wanna hope it was something minor like the pipe. Its happened to my GTR, and my friends Soarer, Supra, AND Sti. Once it happend with just the leak without the pipe coming off and it wasnt able to rev very high at all.....when the boost hits.

Your ECU is running in closed loop, judging by what you describe. Usually caused by no signal from an AFM. Very common on BNR32's. Try swapping them out one at a time for a known good AFM. Then explore other possibilities.

Hi thanks for the replies. This problem has been occuring more frequently over the past few days. To elaborate, when the problem occurs, it will not rev past 2600 exactly so i am pretty sure it is a safe mode the comp is going to.

Also, just before the problem occurs, i can feel the power of the car is a little lethargic and suddenly its back to normal for a few secs then lethargic again and then into safe mode. I had a look at the airflow meter and the wirings not flash. Gonna see if i can secure the wires and see how it goes for the time being.

With airflow meters, if one of mine was shot, wouldnt it always run bad??

Have you given the ECU fault codes a look yet?

There's instructions on how to display and interpret them, I can't find them right now, have a search for yourself or hopefully someone else can point you in the right direction. Doing thsi first COULD save you a lot of time.