SAU Community

HICAS removal bar fitting for R33

GTRgeoff

Is there any way to have the lock bar and not get the heavy steering? There must be some sort of controller to replace the HICAS one?

I had a thought after I wrote that message, you could replace the HICAS controller with the non-HICAS (ie power steering only) controller. Next time I'm using FAST I'll see if one exists for the R32.

i though they all came with hicas?

Nope:

- All R33 GTS25T's (and R34 GT-T's?) have it, as do all GTR's

- Type M R32 GTS-T's have it.

- AFAIK non-type M R32 GTS-T's don't have it.

- Some R33 GTS25's have it.

- All other models don't.

Here is a pic from FAST of the 2 options for an R33:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid1...6f.jpg.orig.jpg

And according to this thread here:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...ead.php?t=71568

The one on the left is called the 'power steering controller' and the one on the right is the 'HICAS controller'. And they look to be the same size and shape, and are mounted in the same place under the parcel shelf.

Thanks to ACEMANN for figuring that one out.

why cant you just install the bar, swap the power steering pump with a non hicas one and change the resoviour to a non hicas one (ie S14 one) then rip everything to do with hicsa out leaving only the lines to the front steering column...and presto you should just have a normal steeering R32.....shouldnt you..what should the HICAS ECU have to do with the front steering once all the valves and shit are stripped for the rear steering??

why cant you just install the bar, swap the power steering pump with a non hicas one and change the resoviour to a non hicas one (ie S14 one) then rip everything to do with hicsa out leaving only the lines to the front steering column...and presto you should just have a normal steeering R32.....shouldnt you..what should the HICAS ECU have to do with the front steering once all the valves and shit are stripped for the rear steering??

Read my posts further up - the HICAS controller is a dual purpose unit, it controls both the HICAS assembly and the front power steering weighting. There are non-HICAS controllers which live in exactly the same place in a R33 (not sure about R32) and look the same, but only control the power steering weighting.

in my r32 the steering lines that go to the steering column only they dont go to any soleniods or anything that an electrical connection goes to....the only thing that uses an electrical connection is the big valve thing near the oil filter but that only controlls the rear end steering...not the front..so taking the computer out shouldnt affect the steering of the front because its all hydraulic its not electrical...there is no sensors telling the any part of the front steering to get heavy.....anyways i replaced my ps pump with an rb30 one...i had to change the pulley on it because the harmonic balancer on the rb20 has 3 grooves in it for the belt where as the rb30 pump only had a 2groove pulley...then i used an s14 steering resoviour (which fits perfectly)...and removed all the other shit that has to do with the rear steering....this was all the lines, ecu, valves solenoids....everything...so now it just works as if it is a normal power steering car..it has never gone heavy with the ecu removed...

just my 2 bobs worth

regards luke

there is a solenoid on the steering rack it self which controlls how much pressure goes to the steering etc. i assume the computer ocontrolls this.

for the rack to recive the full force (make steering easier) the valve has to be closed, so i wonder, what would happen if you connected the valve directly to a 12volt source?

would this allow the powersteering to be contsantly on?

maybe you could use one of those new jaycar kits to contoll this valve automaticly e.g lessen the powersteering as the car goes faster?

steve

there is a solenoid on the steering rack it self which controlls how much pressure goes to the steering etc. i assume the computer ocontrolls this.

for the rack to recive the full force (make steering easier) the valve has to be closed, so i wonder, what would happen if you connected the valve directly to a 12volt source?

would this allow the powersteering to be contsantly on?

maybe you could use one of those new jaycar kits to contoll this valve automaticly e.g lessen the powersteering as the car goes faster?

steve

You are correct - that is basically what the power steering controller does, varies the assistance in inverse proportion to the speed - high assistance at low speeds for parking, low assistance at high speeds for good steering feel/response.

Not sure if this is a simple on/off valve or if it is pulsed to provide different levels of assistance across the speed range.

You wouldn't want full assistance at speed, as the steering would feel very vague - just like a commodore does due to its over-assisted power steering.

So, Installing a HICAS lock bar, is not just a matter of removing the old, putting the new one in? You have to replace pumps and block hoses etc?

R32 GTST I am talking about

Cheers

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Geoff finally installed mine the other day. Did it myself took about 2hrs. I found removin my muffler made it a lot easier to undo the LHS tie rod from the HICAS unit and man they r done up tight. But yeh i def recommend u get a wheel alignment done as wen i went in my LHS toe was +13.9mm and my RHS toe was -9.5mm ba bow !!! But yeh gave it a good workout last nite and i hav found no difference in steerin(weight wise) and the rear end is a lot more predictable and easier to get back in line. Oh yeh i got my alingment done at Bob Jane and only cost me $66 that was for Front and Rear end alingment.

PS This was on an R33 GTSt

PPS Thanx heaps Geoff

No worries mate. BTW it sounds like it went in around the wrong way to give that alignment. the slotted side is a bit shorter than the round hole side by 5mm on the R33/R34.

hrrmm i am kinda confused.

i have a R32 gtst i don't think the hicas is working atm cause as turn steering wheel on hoist the rears don't move) so all i need to do is fit the bar and take out the globe for the hicas light, that way i won't have any problem with my front power steering. Is the correct or do i need to do more than this and will it cause hard front steering?

hrrmm i am kinda confused.

i have a R32 gtst i don't think the hicas is working atm cause as turn steering wheel on hoist the rears don't move) so all i need to do is fit the bar and take out the globe for the hicas light, that way i won't have any problem with my front power steering. Is the correct or do i need to do more than this and will it cause hard front steering?

Unlike other 4WS systems, the HICAS only activates if the car is above ~ 70km/hr and only in response to certain conditions. So it won't activate at all on a hoist, unless in diagnostic mode as GTRGeoff says.