SAU Community

RB30 in R30 hatchback NEED HELP!

hey people, lookin to drop a RB30 in my R30 hatchback as the L24 is about to shit itself and is costing me a fortune in fuel (400k's to a tank)

anyone know anything about this conversion.

things i need to know is

- will the gearbox bolt to the RB30

- can i use the same clutch from the L24 on the RB30

- can i use my current diff or should i put a R200 as the hatchback has IRS

- can the RB30 powersteering pump be used on the R30 without stuffing up the rack

- what engine mounts do i use (i was told that u can drop it straight in but the intake plenum sits too high so to reslove this problem drop R31 mounts in) is this correct?

answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated and if there is anything else i need to do/have please do tell.

also would i have to upgrade brakes or have a engineer go over it all?

thanx heaps

Ivan

Is it a similar car to the Z?

If so, the L series sump has the bowl at the rear, the RB series has it at the front. Need a new sump if this is the case, I am importing some brand new 200ZR rear bowl RB sumps for my conversion.

L series gearboxes will not suit the RB without bellhousing mods, not worthwhile when RB20 boxes are as cheap.

I thought R30's had long nose R200's.

L24E in R30 has sump bowl at the front, which is the same as RB30, so that's not a problem

- will the gearbox bolt to the RB30

No - as suggested you need to change to an RB gearbox, or put an RB bellhousing on your existing GB.

- can i use the same clutch from the L24 on the RB30

Not totally sure on this one but chances are high that the clutches are the same or v similar. In any event I'd recommend chucking in a new clutch while you've got it all pulled down and in that case you'd get the RB30 type.

- can i use my current diff or should i put a R200 as the hatchback has IRS

Your R30 uses R180 diff. These are reliable up to 250HP or so. Unless your planning big mods I wouldn't worry about it

- can the RB30 powersteering pump be used on the R30 without stuffing up the rack

You aren't going to have a whole lot of choice. L24E PS pump won't fit RB30 block, so you'll have to use the RB30 type if you want PS. I would say it should work OK, but might be worthwhile to check if there are any differences in operating pressures.

- what engine mounts do i use (i was told that u can drop it straight in but the intake plenum sits too high so to reslove this problem drop R31 mounts in) is this correct?

Problem here is that the L24E sits at an angle in the engine bay, and the existing mounts are designed for that. You may have to experiment with different mounts to get the best fit. I don't know of a single answer for the issue, but have heard that some have resorted to bolting in the R31 cross-member to solve the problem (but I gather it's not quite 'bolt in'..)

- also would i have to upgrade brakes or have a engineer go over it all?

You need to check with rego authorities about engineering req's. In Vic it would definately require an engineering inspection.

I'm interested in the same sort of conversion for my MR30 Hatchback, except I have the 4spd Auto box. Can I use the stock box or is it the same problem as the manual box?

I can imagine the conversion isn't cheap, but how much would i expect to pay for all of the parts, including suitable brakes and auto box?

My L24E is also costing me a lot in fuel and isn't too healthy right now, is there a simpler/cheaper conversion using a bigger or more powerful engine than what I've got? the RB30 sounds pretty expensive.

Brake upgrade easy DR30 stuff back and front . If you need some bare DR struts let me know . Some Navaras and 720 trucks used the same front caliper . Rears , use DR disks and fixed section of DR calipers .

Supposedly R32 RB20 mounts bolt RB30 onto MR30 cross member . Some have used the R32 brake master and booster to get clearence for the back of the twin cam inlet manifold , don't know with single cam inlet . I suspect the Z18 Turbo Bluebird booster will bolt into R30 and use the std master cyl . Lucky I've got one .

Will need RB radiator , R30 ones truly jurasic .

Power steer pump , best to use DR30 if you can make it fit right pressure for power steering BOX .

RB's used late style RB71 gearboxes , longer/stronger/different shift mechanism . VL NA manual box virtually identical to R32 RB20DET , different speedo gears for 3.45 rear gears compared to 4.1/4.375 .

Out of time Chow A .

On the brake front, I'm in the process of developing an upgrade using early Z31 hub / rotor / caliper. As far as I can see at the moment, the hub / rotor are a straight replacement for the R30 unit. The only real mod is to have the mounting holes in the caliper plugged and re-drilled at 90mm centres (currently 100mm centres).

Engine-wise for this one is the L20ET + Wolf3D. In future, I've got a RB20DET sitting in the garage that I can't seem to get rid of, so may as well bolt it into a R30 sedan.

4-speed auto: No problem, fit an RB bellhousing & you're done.

Power steering: From memory the R30 uses the same line pressures as the R31, so as long as you use a Skyline donor engine, you should be right (not that you'd even consider using an engine with 'Holden' embossed on the rocker cover!)

Please excuse the persistant questions but how much dose a low mileage RB30 cost these days? and what model Skyline dose it come from?

you should look at the local paper for early r31 TI's you colud pick one up for $500 or less unresitered, use everything from it, engine, ECU, loom, gearbox, brakes, struts, brake booster, master cylinder, all the things you'll need will be there.....using all that stuff from the r31 will be a lot easier on compliance too..

anyone know who the owner of the R30 sedan with the RB30 in it has a custom inlet manifold as stock wouldnt allow for the hood to close

also thank you to those who have had there say or oppinion, especially steveL

but i need to stress that i am not after info that is not correct or accurate as i have no time or money for, should's, maybe's, most likely's this that and the other. All im after is sum1 that has done this b4 or KNOWS! there shit.

cant stress it enough!

thanx again

Ivan

anyone know who the owner of the R30 sedan with the RB30 in it has a custom inlet manifold as stock wouldnt allow for the hood to close

also thank you to those who have had there say or oppinion, especially steveL

but i need to stress that i am not after info that is not correct or accurate as i have no time or money for, should's, maybe's, most likely's this that and the other. All im after is sum1 that has done this b4 or KNOWS! there shit.

cant stress it enough!  

thanx again  

Ivan

the rb20det fits (using 8-10mm spacers) with only the BOV touching that heat retardent stuff under the bonnet, so if you can find a height comparison that might help....