SAU Community

Got car dynoed, i knew it!

joh21m

Well as the title says i got my car on the dyno after suspecting it wasnt running as hard as it should....mods are as follows:

S13 RB20DET

Full 3" Exhaust

Nippon Denso f/pump

POD

FMIC

~11psi

what can i say, power is no where near what it should be! after only just keeping up with a ca18det sil i knew something was up.

Mechanic says all 6 coil packs are failing at once hence the power drop...

he says it should keep climbing to about 140 - 150kw once i get them replaced...

just thought id share it with you ppl, all comments welcome

Joh

my god... didn't you hear the aweful popping?!

there is no popping thats the thing, i could only feel that big dip so i knew it had to be something...

Whats with the big arse dip? dud coils would have had your car missing all the way to redline, i wouldn't have expected power to pick back up again that high in the rev range.

i also thought that if it were the coils it would be missing all through the rev range, i must admit it isnt a very smooth curve so then it leads me to think maybe it is the coils playing up??? i dunno, i dont wanna fork out $600 odd just to find out its something else... but the mechanic says its the coils

anybody else think it might not be coils?

11psi I think you will see 130-140rwkw.

15psi with stock fueling see's around 155rwkw, sort out the fueling and you then see around 165rwkw. Replace the ecu and you will see just over 170rwkw.

Get an RB25 turbo and you should get close to 185rwkw.

11psi I think you will see 130-140rwkw.

15psi with stock fueling see's around 155rwkw, sort out the fueling and you then see around 165rwkw. Replace the ecu and you will see just over 170rwkw.

Get an RB25 turbo and you should get close to 185rwkw.

I would have thought 15psi and the exhaust wheel ends up sitting in the cat...

when you say sort out the fueling what do you mean? injectors? i already got a fuel pump...could you please elaborate?

i plan on a remap and rb25 turbo later down the track....

• 2 months later...

just for reference for all i have found the problem...

turned out one of my knock sensors was not plugged in!!! car now runs extremely smooth (feels like a diff engine). getting it dynoed again on sat for a quick tune...

KEYWORDS - Knock sensor, 5500rpm, power loss...

good stuff.. shows how clueless the workshops can often be..

they'll always blame the coilpacks before anything else..

There should be a problem shoot flow diagram on here .. could save a lot of people headaches.

Hmmm originally i thought I had dodgy coil packs... believe i still might, however my popping and loss of power on full throttle only seems to be intermitant... usually on very hot days... just wondering if anyone might have any other suggestions besides coilpacks?