SAU Community

How long does it take to learn manual ?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got my auto licence........took me 3 weeks of learning and about 8 lessons and i got it first go, no errors on the test.

auto's should have made most manual's obsolete. I want to get my manual licence once i'm use to driving, for employment resons and if i get into racing.

it's like anything, practice!

do any other auto licence holders get crap of peirs with the manuals like you're an inferrior driver??? or is it just the people i know who are nobs :)

Hopped in an old (this is good cause then you don't have people cryign as you ride their clutch to hell :D) manual and drove around a carpark for 2 hours. That was all I needed to learn how to use manual (assuming you already have a knowledge of driving by passing your test). Be aware though that each car is slightly different to drive, different revs and pressure depending on how the car is setup, and skylines certainly aren't the easiest to drive :), let alone learning on a triple plate hehe.. you poor bugger :).

I've taught a few people how to drive manual. Some are born drivers some are not.

One peice of advice that remains true for everyone (i think) and I've taught to people is below. Those that have listened don't have trouble. The ones who listened and were born drivers can now drive naturally.

When learning - learn to clutch without the accel pedal. Strange idea? Not really.

Most people will tell you to push the accel as you lift the clutch out - FORGET THAT WHEN YOU'RE LEARNING.

When you get in the car you find the friction point by getting the car rolling WITHOUT using the accel - clutch, put it into 1st, then lift the clutch slowly out till the car starts moving. When you can do this finely/accurately enough that the car can be started without jumping/stalling then you've got it. Do it 5 times. Stop. Go through turning the car off (ie. put it into gear rip the handbrake and get out). Then get back in, go through the process of starting it up (with your foot ON THE CLUTCH so if it's in gear it doesn't launch when you turn the key). Then start the car rolling again without the accel.

Get used to that a few times and spend the first hour or two (on a flat surface) starting the car rolling WITHOUT the accel. Once you have mastered it (and I mean MASTERED IT) THEN and ONLY then use the accel.

From then if you learn this way you will be well on your way... .trust me!

I learnt to drive a manual when I was in a car park in someone elses car and the gate was closing on us and there was a into a 35 degree steep 90 degree turn up a driveway. That's how I learnt how to clutch, saving the car from being crushed - some methods work better for different people, but what I've described above works for 100% of the people I've taught and many of those commented how that was much much easier for them then being taught any other way.

Good luck.

i got my auto licence........took me 3 weeks of learning and about 8 lessons and i got it first go, no errors on the test.  

auto's should have made most manual's obsolete.  I want to get my manual licence once i'm use to driving, for employment resons and if i get into racing.  

it's like anything, practice!

do any other auto licence holders get crap of peirs with the manuals like you're an inferrior driver???  or is it just the people i know who are nobs :D

Yes from my boyfriend ...... well looks who's car is actually working honey!

actually, learning to drive in an auto to begin with is quite useful. You can learn not to crash the car into stuff and learning about other cars around you without having to worry about changing gears/stalling

I learnt in an auto coz my paren'ts dont own any manuals, and my first car was an auto.

then i bought a mitsubishi cordia turbo as a project car, which didn't have a real great gearbox. so i was chucked in the deep-end with a gearbox/clutch that was a bit quirky.

just remember to release the clutch slowly, and when feel the car starting to "pull" that's where the pressure point is.

Just remember - clutch has to be in:

- changing gears

- when stopped / coming to a stop (ie less than 5km/hr)

to move slowly (ie parking etc) just use the clutch without accelerator. You might need to use it a little.

http://www.standardshift.com/faq.html - gives a basic explanation

Well i first started driving in a Auto VL for about a year. That was just to get used to the road n shit. THen we got rid of that and bought the R33, so then i had to learn manual. I think i took the car out twice with my dad and got the hang of it. There is really nothing to it

Guess Ive been lucky growing up in the country from the age of 11. Been driving for 18 years now and licensed for 10 years.

I started driving shitboxes in the paddocks and they were all manuals.

I taught my missus to drive - firstly in a column shift LJ torana and then into a 5 speed gemini and she was going great but she decided that it would be easier for her to get her licence in an auto and she has stuck with autos since.

She had a few gos at a 5 speed corolla I used to own (very easy car to drive) and she found it much easier because she had gotten used to driving and holding the car on the road and she could concentrate on the gear changes more naturally. She doesnt want to drive the skyline but cos she doesnt have enough confidence - get her in the VS wagon but and she thinks shes invincible!!!

It will take time but the more you do it the better you will get.

I cant beleive the amount of people on this forum that cant or dont drive manuals.

I cant stand driving autos - not enough control.

Yea i do i bought a auto skyline cuz i have a auto licence i get crap often.

ditto..i always get the "so when are u getting manual conversion"

some ppl just don't understand the benefits of auto's especially when modified

some ppl just don't understand the benefits of auto's especially when modified

Pls pardon my ignorance, but I'm one of those ppl who are unaware of the benefits.

Autos are nice when the traffic is crawling, but what advantages do they have on a modified car?

Mark

(Apologies for getting off topic)

from my experiance it really does depend on who is teaching you..I bought a TX3 few years ago.. didnt know how to drive manual (RTA screwed up and gave me a manual licence..didnt even take a driving test in australia) and couldnt drive it with my sister.. but was a bit better with my cousin for some reason.. then got another car that was auto.. that broke down and had to borrow a friends car.. and got into it bymself and was driving around for a couple days with almost no problems.. if you feel comfortable you will do good.. just dont stress out if you dont get it straight away :)

i learned to drive when i was 10-11 in my old mans hilux on a footy oval

"Now son, you turn full lock, mash that pedal on the right, wait for the needle to bounce off the red bit, then take your foot off the clutch. THAT is how to grass an oval."

:)

Nice avatar btw, mmm Delta...