SAU Community

2005 season

GTRSRULE!!!

Smith the younger may go Pommie

February 11, 2005

WALLABY forward George Smith may be his little brother's inspiration but that hasn't stopped Tyrone Smith hatching a plan to play against him for England.

Tyrone, 21, makes his debut for English Super League club London on Sunday but was hoping to eventually break into international ranks, and he doesn't mind if it's rugby league or union, or with Australia or England.

"My mother's Tongan, grandparents are Pommie and I'm Australian so I could play for anyone," he told London's Evening Standard.

"I'd definitely play for England or Great Britain if Australia wasn't happening.

"I'd like to make a name for myself in London and get the call from an international side, whether it be in league or union.

"I could even end up playing against George for England, which would be a good experience.

"The atmosphere would be terrific and it would be a great moment in my life. I wouldn't mind playing against Australia but I'm sure I'd get a lot of stick.

"My brother has been an inspiration to me, helping me with my football and my schooling and he's the one person I look up to."

When he was 19, the younger Smith rejected an offer from the ACT to join George at the Brumbies and also knocked back a deal from NSW, opting for a rugby league career at the Sydney Roosters.

After two seasons with the Roosters, Smith signed up with London and plays his first game for the club in the centres against Warrington on Sunday. "It was difficult to choose league over union. I got a couple of offers from NSW and the Brumbies, but they weren't as good as the league contract."

AAP

Palu Out of Trial Against Blues in Whangarei

WEB-Wycliff-Palu-goes-throu_page_image.jpg Safety First ... Wycliff Palu rested for trial clash against the Blues

Friday, 18 February 2005

NSWRU Media Unit

Hard-hitting back-rower Wycliff Palu has been withdrawn from the HSBC Waratahs squad to take on the Blues this afternoon in New Zealand, with management taking a safety first approach into the match.

Palu was declared fit to take his place on an 11-man bench for the match late yesterday after passing a fitness test on his corked knee.

However it was decided today not to risk re-injuring the star in the making, just a week out from the opening clash of the Tooheys New Super 12 season against the Chiefs at Aussie Stadium.

Palu's place on the bench will now be taken by fellow flanker Lei Tomiki.

Reminder: Up to the minute score updates from this afternoon's trial can be found at www.waratahs.com.au from 4PM, Sydney time.

HSBC WARATAHS V AUCKLAND BLUES AT WHANGAREI (NZ), FRIDAY, 18 FEBRUARY, 2005. KICK-OFF 6PM - 4PMSYDNEY TIME

• Matt Dunning
  • Adam Freier
  • Alastair Baxter
  • Justin Harrison [v-c]
  • Daniel Vickerman
  • Stephen Hoiles
  • Rocky Elsom
  • David Lyons
  • Chris Whitaker [c]
  • Lachlan MacKay
  • Lote Tuqiri
  • Shaun Berne
  • Morgan Turinui
  • Peter Hewat
  • Mat Rogers

BENCH:

Gareth Hardy, Brendan Cannon, Aaron-Broughton-Rouse, Alex Kanaar, Lei Tomiki, Phil Waugh, Chris O'Young, Nathan Grey, Chris Siale, Winston Mafi, Cameron Shepherd.

Tahs to live on their Whits

By Peter Badel

February 20, 2005

WARATAHS halfback and skipper Chris Whitaker has vowed to shoulder more of the attacking burden in a bid to protect rookie fly-half Lachlan Mackay.

Mackay, a former Australia under-21s captain, is the latest man to fill the hotseat that is the No10 sky blue jumper - and the quality of his performances could shape NSW's season.

But Whitaker said criticism of the troublesome spot is overstated and pledged to alleviate the heat on the 22-year-old.

"I think we've been putting too much pressure on the guys at 10," Whitaker said.

"I wouldn't say it's a problem for us. We definitely have guys who can play 10. There's Shaun Berne, Tim Donnelly and Lachlan, who has impressed me at training and has been given his chance.

"If anything, I need to help out more with decision making and running the show."

In his ninth season with the team, Whitaker admits the Waratahs can ill-afford another dismal season. But he says the side has unprecedented depth after coach Ewen McKenzie placed greater emphasis over summer on nurturing the new wave of Waratahs.

"We've got more depth than ever - we now have about 36 or 37 guys who are capable of playing Super 12," Whitaker said.

"The big bonus is that the young guys won't find the step up to Super 12 so great. "This is the year we have to deliver. Our fans have been patient and we've been very disappointing for too long."

The Sunday Telegraph

Selection Time for McKenzie

[/b]:PhotoPop(24354)"]WEB_Ewen_McKenzie_communicating_page_image.jpg Ewen McKenzie ... tough calls ahead

Sunday, February 20, 2005

NSWRU Media Unit

The trial series is over and now head coach Ewen McKenzie must chose his opening 22 for the 2005 Tooheys New Super 12 season. The HSBC Waratahs side to meet the Chiefs on Friday will be announced at Fox Studios tomorrow.

Two sold wins against New Zealand's leading provinces have given the squad confidence but McKenzie isn't getting carried away.

"The important part of those victories was going the distance," McKenzie said.

"We were challenged by both sides all the way but we sealed the deal each time and that's a good habit to have.

"We're still improving and that's better than peaking too early."

The first squad and a new daring advertising campaign will be unveiled at the HSBC Waratahs season launch at lunchtime tomorrow."

Tough Decisions Made for HSBC Waratahs Season Opener Against the Chiefs

February 21, 2005 - 2:37pm

Story by: NSWRU

[/b]:PhotoPop("]Lachlan_Mackay_v_Crusaders_(trial)_page_image.jpg Lachlan Mackay has won selection in the Waratahs number 10 jersey

NSW head coach Ewen McKenzie admits he's had to make some hard decisions before selecting the season opening HSBC Waratahs line-up to face the Chiefs at Aussie Stadium on Friday night.

"Everyone knows we've got back-row depth like never before and that means someone has to miss out," said McKenzie.

"It was a close call but for this match we've chosen Palu at blindside with Rocky Elsom on the bench and that leaves Stephen Hoiles as 23rd man.

"We've had a close look at the Chiefs and we will prepare accordingly."

Wycliff Palu, Lachlan Mackay and Peter Hewat will make their Super 12 run-on debuts while Alex Kanaar, Chris O'Young and Winston Mafi will also earn their first Super 12 caps if they play off the bench.

"Even though six players are making their Super 12 debut they've all played a number of matches for NSW already and they are well and truly match hardened for this level."

HSBC WARATAHS TO PLAY THE CHIEFS (NZ) AT AUSSIE STADIUM, FRIDAY, 25 FEBRUARY 2005. KICK-OFF AT 7.40PM

1. Matt Dunning
  2. Adam Freier
  3. Alastair Baxter
  4. Justin Harrison
  5. Daniel Vickerman
  6. Wycliff Palu *^
  7. Phil Waugh
  8. David Lyons
  9. Chris Whitaker [c]
  10. Lachlan Mackay *^
  11. Lote Tuqiri
  12. Shaun Berne
  13. Morgan Turinui
  14. Peter Hewat *^
  15. Mat Rogers

BENCH

1. Brendan Cannon
  2. Gareth Hardy
  3. Alex Kanaar *
  4. Rocky Elsom
  5. Chris O'Young *
  6. Nathan Grey
  7. Winston Mafi *
  8. Stephen Hoiles

* denotes Super 12 debut

^ denotes Super 12 run-on debut

NSW Rugby Celebrates Seven-Figure Anniversary Present

[/b]:PhotoPop(15735)"]Aussie_Stadium_panorama_page_image.jpg Blue Skies for NSW Rugby ... Celebrating its 4th consecutive 7-Figure Surplus

Monday, February 21, 2005

NSWRU Media Unit

The NSW Rugby Union has marked its 130th year, and its return to full board autonomy, by achieving its fourth successive seven-figure trading surplus.

The $1Million plus surplus came about after a year of solid performance on the field, which saw crowds increase more than 5,000 a game to over 35,500; and sound financial management following the cessation of ARU governance over NSW Rugby's affairs.

The outstanding financial result was revealed at tonight's NSW Rugby Annual General Meeting, held at the Union's offices at Aussie Stadium.

"As arguably the World's seventh largest Union, it's imperative we perform financially in accordance with our standing," NSWRU Chairman Dilip Kumar said.

"This result is further confirmation that we're on the right track, and that we have even more left to achieve."

"2004 also saw NSW Rugby retire all significant debt by successfully exiting its obligations in regard to Waratah Rugby Stadium at Concord. By handing the facility back to Canada Bay Council, the Union is now unencumbered financially, clearing the way for future good financial performance."

"This can only result in further growth"

"It's fair to say the future is bright," said NSWRU Chief Executive Officer Fraser Neill.

"Certainly, things are happening with the Waratahs, with a lot of new, exciting players brought through the ranks in 2004. We're about to see the likes of Wycliff Palu and Lachlan Mackay make their Super 12 debuts, all as a result of chances they were given during the past 12 months."

"But the top of the pyramid cannot hold without a strong foundation, something we're fortunate to enjoy with NSW Country, Sydney Suburban and NSW Juniors.

"These areas of operation all flourished in 2004, with Country winning the Telstra Australian Rugby Shield, Subbies downing their Queensland counterparts in their annual clash at Telstra Stadium, and the NSW Schools taking on Sydney Juniors in the final of the national under 16 championships."

Looking ahead, Aussie Stadium will host six home Super 12 fixtures in 2005, featuring 3 of the 4 teams which featured in the 2004 finals, as well as traditional rivals Auckland and Queensland.

Mr. Neill says big things are expected again in 2005.

"Six home games, together with the renewal of Ewen McKenzie's coaching contract and the determination to continue to forge strong ties with affiliated Unions, points to the achievement of the best possible outcomes for all involved," said Mr Neill.

"With the Super 14 due to start in 2006, we're well placed having secured the signature of the majority of our Waratahs well ahead of time. This, when coupled with our continued strong financial performance, there's no reason not to look to the future full of confidence."

Blood, Sweat & Tears Campaign to Ignite Debate

[/b]:PhotoPop(24419)"]WEB_Lote_Tuqiri_Blood_Sweat__Tears_page_image.jpg Lote Tuqiri as painted by Adam Cullen

Monday, February 21, 2005

NSWRU Media Unit

NSW Rugby has launched an aggressive marketing campaign that is expected to draw widespread debate in 2005.

(watch the video)

The NSWRU and Saatchi & Saatchi have developed a Blood, Sweat and Tears campaign which involves a series of paintings created by Archibald prize winner Adam Cullen.

Cullen used actual player blood, sweat and tears to create the artistic interpretations of five Waratah players.

"It's a pretty bold campaign but one that I support because of the message it sends," said HSBC Waratahs captain Chris Whitaker at today's season launch.

"It's definitely different but blood, sweat and tears really sums up what being a Waratah means."

Saatchi & Saatchi Sydney expressed a strong commitment to making the campaign successful.

"We wanted the ads to explode off the page", said art director Peter Buckley.

"So we approached Australian contemporary artist Adam Cullen to paint portraits of Waratah players using their bodily fluids."

Cullen is most noted for winning the Archibald prize in 2002.

"Sport is a major part of Australian life and I see similarities in both, especially in the manner in which I paint," said Cullen.

"The canvas is like a field and the strokes I make are charged."

The paintings are planned be auctioned with the proceeds going to charity and are part of the HSBC Waratahs advertising and marketing activity for 2005 under the slogan "playing hard since 1874".

Senior account director at Saatchi, Paul Mendham, summed up the creative.

"We wanted to get this across to NSW rugby-loving public, to get some idea of the effort that the guys are putting in to succeed. The campaign is about this effort - the blood, sweat & tears - metaphorically and literally," said Mendham.

The paintings can be viewed at Marlene Antico's Paddington Gallery, Marlene Antico Fine Arts.

Wallaby Hoiles out of NSW 22

By Bret Harris

February 22, 2005

FOUR months ago Stephen Hoiles was the surprise selection for the Wallabies, but yesterday he was shocked when omitted from the NSW Waratahs Super 12 squad.

The Waratahs omitted Hoiles from their team to play Waikato Chiefs in the opening round of the season at Aussie Stadium in Sydney on Friday night.

A bolter for the Wallabies tour to the UK and France last November, Hoiles has missed a place in the NSW 22-man squad - named the non-playing 23rd man.

Hoiles, 23, played off the bench in the last two Tests of the tour against Scotland and England and would have been eyeing a place in the NSW starting line-up.

But NSW coach Ewen McKenzie has opted for hard-running Wycliff Palu at blindside flanker for his Super 12 debut and the robust Rocky Elsom as reserve backrower.

Palu was always going to start because he has the ball-running skills McKenzie is looking for in the number six position, so the choice was between Hoiles and Elsom for the bench.

"I'm extremely disappointed," Hoiles said yesterday. "I knew it would be a struggle because the other guys are playing well, but I thought I was getting better with every trial. That's why I'm shocked.

"I just have to climb out of it and get back to where I want to be. It is only round one."

McKenzie is adopting a horses for courses selection policy and believes the aggressive Elsom will be better suited against the very physical Chiefs' forwards, who smashed the Waratahs in Hamilton last year.

"It was a hard selection," McKenzie said. "It was a close thing to be honest.

"Someone had to miss out unfortunately and this week it was Stephen Hoiles, but we've picked a team for this week. We'll move on and things will change.

"When you get down to these close decisions it is the little things. We looked at how the Chiefs are going to play. They are probably going to play a little bit closer in.

"We felt the way Rocky has been playing the last two or three games he has been very strong in that area and we felt that would give us an advantage."

To be fair, Elsom would have been a strong contender for the Wallabies last November if he had not been battling an injury in the second half of last season.

While Elsom was pleased to be back in the squad, he was not fully satisfied. His goal is to regain the number six jersey he wore in 2003.

"I don't really have my spot back," Elsom said. "I've got a spot on the bench.

"Everyone wants to be playing. That's the goal, but a few things have to be done before I get that spot back.

"It is fairly obvious (McKenzie) wants the number six to be an equal ball-running option to David Lyons (number eight)."

Adam Freier has regained the starting hooker's spot from Brendan Cannon, while Palu, winger Peter Hewat and five-eighth Lachlan Mackay will make their Super 12 run-on debuts.

Hewat and reserve outside back Winston Mafi have kept Australia A fullback/winger Cameron Shepherd out of the 22-man squad.

At the Waratahs' season launch at Fox Studios yesterday, the theme was that NSW has been "playing hard since 1874".

But the Waratahs have been doing it hard over the past decade, reaching the Super 12 semi-finals only once in nine seasons.

NSW Rugby Union president Ron Graham said it was "now or never" for the team to deliver.

"I heard him say that," said McKenzie, who guided the Waratahs to eighth place last year. "It is a good year to live up to our mantra, playing hard.

"I'll certainly be doing my bit with the players to do that and hopefully it will get us somewhere." Former Queenslander Gene Fairbanks will replace the injured Matt Giteau at inside centre for the Brumbies' match against the Crusaders at Canberra Stadium on Saturday night.

The Australian

Mafi in rugby heaven

By Jon Geddes

February 22, 2005

A FORMER Mormon missionary plucked out of Sydney University second grade and who has attended only one previous Super 12 match is the bolter in the NSW Waratah squad to play the Chiefs on Friday night.

"I can't believe this time I am playing," a stunned 24-year-old Winston Mafi said yesterday.

In a surprise selection, he has beaten Wallaby squad member Cameron Shepherd for one of the NSW reserve back spots in the tournament opener at Aussie Stadium.

Mafi's meteoric rise began after he was spotted by Waratah coach Ewen McKenzie running around in the lower grades with Sydney University last season and was given a chance on the Waratahs' tour of Argentina.

"I didn't play any first grade games for Uni and, to be honest, I didn't expect to be signed, so I am pretty happy to be here," the winger-outside centre said.

McKenzie said what he liked about Mafi when he first saw him play was that he was not half-hearted and did everything 100 per cent.

"We could tell he had the raw ability but every time he carried the ball he beat a tackle or carried guys four or five metres," McKenzie said.

"He not afraid of anything. I think this game is going to be a physical encounter and will suit his style."

Mafi prepared for his professional rugby career by working for two years as a missionary with the Mormom Church in Melbourne -- a calling he paid for out of his own pocket.

"I came back a bit stronger from all the biking on the hills in Melbourne," he said.

"I'm more physical now than ever in my rugby, so it was pretty good."

During that time Mafi would knock on doors and talk to other people on the street, returning home last April as a more confident person.

"I learnt a lot about myself that I didn't know before -- I learnt to talk to people and understand where people were coming from," he said.

Mafi's beliefs also place restrictions on his life away from the rugby field.

"There is no drinking, no smoking and I don't go out," Mafi said. "When I finish training I just go home."

McKenzie joked that he was one player who was pretty easy to find on a Saturday night.

But Mafi doesn't find that any sort of a burden, even in the professional sporting environment in which he now finds himself.

"Growing up as member of the church I was very disciplined from an early age, he said. "It was just natural, I know what to do."

And the strongly religious Mafi said he has been well accepted by the other Waratah players.

"They are awesome, everyone here is a Christian in some sort of way," he said.

Mafi, who has signed a two-year contract with NSW, will have his own personal fan club at Friday night's game.

He is one of 10 children, the youngest of whom is six.

One of his brothers and a sister have followed in Mafi's footsteps and are currently away from home working as missionaries. The one problem he has to deal with in the lead-up to Friday's game is how to allocate the four tickets he has been given.

The Daily Telegraph

Tuqiri urges self-confidence

by Desmond Kane

February 22, 2005

LOTE Tuqiri has called on the New South Wales Waratahs to stay positive when the pressure comes on in the Super 12 season if they're to repay fans for their loyalty amid past disappointments.

The 25-year-old Wallaby star won't be content unless he helps NSW land its first Super 12 title at its 10th attempt.

The Waratahs begin their 2005 quest when they host the Chiefs before a big crowd at Aussie Stadium on Friday night and Tuqiri says the team's response to adversity and pressure that will help define its season.

Traditional quick starters in Super 12, the Waratahs flattered to deceive last season and faded to finish seventh.

It's a familiar story for a team whose only semi-final appearance resulted in a crushing 51-10 semi-final loss to the ACT Brumbies in 2002.

Tuqiri concedes that's not good enough.

"Expectations are very high every year, especially in Sydney," said Tuqiri, who will earn his 23rd Super 12 cap against the Chiefs.

"We have to play positive footy rather than falling back into our shell and playing crappy direct one hit-up rugby that is very predictable.

"Sometimes we tend to get away from our natural game and become too predictable. We have to play the direct, open style of rugby if we are to succeed.

"I think we've got six home games this year and over 30,000 fans coming out every week to support us brings a pressure in itself.

"They have been great and turn out ever year willing us to do better. The only way for us to repay them is to play consistent footy.

"The pressure will always be there, but that goes with the territory of playing in Sydney.

"It's a big town, they love a winner and I think every other (sports) team in Sydney has done all right so I think this is the time for the Waratahs to step up and do something special."

Last season NSW was set back by the loss influential fullback Mat Rogers with a serious ankle injury for much of the season.

Tuqiri believes success this time around will depend on how the Waratahs respond to such developments.

"I think we have to strive to play consistent footy, week-in and week-out, and not fall into a hole when someone gets injured in a certain position and suddenly think we can't play," said Tuqiri.

"It's important to get back on the horse when the chips are down and keep being positive. I think it's how we react to things that will determine how we go this year.

"At the end of the year we always have to win the last game to reach the semi-finals and we don't need that pressure again."

Tuqiri hopes a successful campaign with NSW will see him retain his starting berth with the Wallabies for their home Tests against Samoa, South Africa, France and New Zealand in June, July and August.

Australia are chasing the All Blacks for the world's top ranking with world champions England down at sixth after losing to Wales and France in their opening six nations matches.

"The Poms are sliding down the rankings and it's wide open but we want to knock the Kiwis off the top spot if we can and there's a few good matches to look forward that can help us do that," Tuqiri said. "All I want is to cement my place with the Wallabies in the year ahead."

AAP

NSW Waratahs – Time to deliver

February 23, 2005 - 2:12pm

Story by: Other

David_Lyons_gets_tackled_page_image.jpg David Lyons gets tackled in the Waratahs v Brumbies match

Based in Sydney (Australia)

Colours: Sky Blue, Navy and White

Coach: Ewen McKenzie

Captain: Chris Whitaker

Best-ever placing: 3rd (2002)

Last year's placing: 7th

If there was ever a season when the NSW Waratahs might rise to the challenge for the Tooheys New Super 12 title, this is it.

There has only been one season, in 2002, when the Waratahs have truly impressed and looked like genuine title contenders. That glittering year was an exception to their usually poor Super 12 form.

The Waratahs finished second at the end of the regular season in 2002 and truly looked as if they could take the title three weeks out from the finals - a contrast to their usual performances when they have finished between sixth and ninth spots on seven occasions.

There are several factors in their favour in 2005, but as usual there lingers a few key issues that might again mean fans are disappointed.

Very much in their favour is the 2005 draw.

Last season the Waratahs started in a blaze of glory, leading the Super 12 ladder after the first three rounds, and then embarked on a four-match road trip when they lost each match and fell into a form slump from which they never quite recovered.

This often happens to the Waratahs, but this year the most away games they will play will be three in a row, with a bye buffed in between.

Coach Ewen McKenzie can be pleased that the draw won't be an obstacle. Further pleasing is that his 2005 squad is essentially the same as 2004. Although some fringe players have either been released or left, only one major player - in Matthew Burke - has gone.

This leaves the Waratahs with all their big guns on board. And as they showed last season, when the Waratahs big guns do fire, the impact can be devastating.

In the front row are props Matt Dunning and Al Baxter with experienced campaigners Adam Freier and Brendan Cannon fighting it out for the hooking role.

Locks Justin Harrison and Dan Vickerman were the form second row of 2004 and will no doubt dominate in 2005.

The Waratah back row is a powerful unit, charged by David Lyons at No. 8 and Phil Waugh on the openside flank. There will be heavy competition for the blindside spot, with the Waratahs exhibiting plenty of depth in that area.

Newcomer Wycliff Palu, recruited from rugby league, is being touted as the new Willie 'O', the hard-hitting Tongan who starred in the early-mid 1990s. Joining him to get game time is Stephen Hoiles, who emerged from club rugby in 2004 and then found himself a Wallaby tourist at the end of last season. And one cannot discount the punishing Rocky Elsom either.

Ever dependable scrumhalf and skipper Chris Whitaker has shown he has the heart to lead his team by example.

One of the issues that has been a constant concern for the Waratahs, and could again derail them in 2005, is who to play at flyhalf. Last season, Shaun Berne and Tim Donnelly shared the No. 10 jersey. Both had their moments, but neither put their hand up to claim the pivot spot.

Joining them in 2005 is former Australian U-21 skipper Lachlan Mackay. The youngster from Norths looks to have the temperament and class to secure the flyhalf role for the long term.

Either way, one thing is for certain. If the Waratahs cannot find someone to claim the jersey as their own, they will strike problems.

Last season, the Waratahs shifted tactics to unleash their potent outside backs. The results transformed NSW from a predictable outfit to a dangerous one.

Without an effective flyhalf the Waratahs' impressive array of backline talent will remain nullified.

The inside men of Nathan Grey and Morgan Turinui are a dependable combination.

Arguably, the Waratahs have the most exciting back-three in the business. Mat Rogers at fullback spent most of last season on the sideline injured, but pre-season trials have shown he is back to his best.

His combination with wingers Lote Tuqiri and youngster Cameron Shepherd should again deliver some entertaining finishes.

However, as the Waratahs have shown over the course of the Super 12, they can have real brilliance and still disappoint. Despite the good draw and stable squad, McKenzie will know his team must perform when it counts.

In contrast to a team like the ACT Brumbies, whose killer instinct is renowned, NSW fold over when they need to stand up, as they showed last year when they blew their finish to the season and missed out on a finals berth.

Starting XV - Round 1

15 Rogers, 14 Hewat, 13 Turinui, 12 Berne, 11 Tuqiri, 10 Mackay, 9 Whitaker, 8 Lyons, 7 Waugh, 6 Palu, 5 Vickerman, 4 Harrison, 3 Baxter, 2 Freier, 1 Dunning.

Test Player Count

Arrivals and Departures

IN: Wycliff Palu (St.George Illawarra, backrow), Alex Kanaar (Sydney Uni, lock), Will Caldwell (Sydney Uni, lock), Chris O'Young (Eastwood, scrumhalf), Winston Mafi (Sydney Uni, wing/centre), Dwayne Haare (Randwick, flanker/lock), Chris Siale (West Harbour, centre), Benn Robinson (Eastwood, prop).

OUT: Matthew Burke (Newcastle Falcons, fullback/centre), Scott Staniforth (London Irish, wing)

Alister Campbell (ACT Brumbies, lock), Simon Kasprowicz (backrow, released), Milton Thaiday (utility back, released).

Predicted Placing

5th

This year could be a big one for the NSW Waratahs. They showed genuine brilliance in 2004 and that on their day they can be title contenders. A favourable draw, a stable squad with the best back three in the tournament augurs well, however if NSW can't lift for the big games and don't develop an established flyhalf, they could again disappoint.

Rogers laughs off hip injury

By Jon Geddes

February 24, 2005

BACKLINE ace Mat Rogers sent a scare through the Waratahs camp in the countdown to tomorrow night's Super 12 opener against the Chiefs when he injured his hip at the start of training yesterday.

Rogers immediately received treatment on the sideline from team physio Dave Bick and was sent to see a doctor, taking no further part in the session.

"His foot slipped in the warm-up and he jarred his hip," said coach Ewen McKenzie.

"I spoke to the doctor and he said there was nothing to be concerned about, so we expect him to train again tomorrow. I'm not pushing panic buttons, we'll just see what happens."

Rogers was upbeat after having his hip checked out. "I'm sweet mate," he said.

The Waratahs must have collectively held their breaths when Rogers walked off the field because he is such a key attacking weapon.

In his absence yesterday Peter Hewat shifted to fullback with Winston Mafi going on to the wing. But if Rogers was ruled out tomorrow, Wallaby Cameron Shepherd would come into calculations for a recall.

During the session Shaun Berne and Lachlan Mackay spent time running in the five-eighth spot.

With Wallaby coach Eddie Jones looking on from the stand, the timing in the team run occasionally went awry.

"We have trained better, put it that way," McKenzie said. "I think we definitely saw the nerves kick in - we have six new Super 12 guys - and that is not such a bad thing a couple of days out," McKenzie said.

"We have another run tomorrow and I'm sure we'll do better. None of this matters as long as we front up on Friday. There is still work to do, but I'm quietly confident." * WALLABY back-rower Stephen Hoiles will captain the NSW A side against the Brumby Runners tomorrow at TG Millner Field after being overlooked for the Waratahs squad to play the Chiefs.

The Daily Telegraph

HSBC Waratahs Lock Away More Players

WEB_Alex_Kanaar_limbers_up_page_image.jpg Alex Kanaar ... Signed Up Until End of 2006

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

NSWRU Media Unit

The HSBC Waratahs have re-signed three more players to further secure the playing roster for 2006 and beyond.

Lock Alex Kanaar (Sydney University) has signed on until the end of 2006 while Eastwood props Benn Robinson and Aaron Broughton-Rouse have been secured until the end of 2007.

"All three of these players have big futures with NSW and it was important to us to have their contracts locked away," said head coach Ewen McKenzie.

"Alex and Aaron have already played a number of matches for NSW so by retaining them and Benn we are adding to our overall depth.

"Successful teams must have depth and we are deep into discussions about signing other players to ensure the long-term viability of the HSBC Waratahs."

Kanaar is set to make his Super 12 debut after being named on the bench for Friday's opening Tooheys New Super 12 clash with the Chiefs at Aussie Stadium.

"We're hoping for some strong home town support and we've already sold more than 26 thousand tickets," said NSWRU Chief Executive Fraser Neill.

"Our advice to supporters is to buy your tickets before arriving at the ground and aim to be seated by 7.30pm so you don't miss the build-up."

Hoiles to lead all-star NSW A side against Brumby Runners

WEB_Stephen_Hoiles_passing_drill_at_Holsworthy_page_image.jpg Waratah Stephen Hoiles will lead NSW A against the Brumby Runners

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

NSWRU Media Unit

HSBC Waratahs back-rower Stephen Hoiles will captain an all-star NSW A against the Brumby Runners this Friday at TG Millner Field.

Fly half Elia Tuqiri has been named vice captain of the side, which features no less than 17 players with NSW experience.

"It's fantastic to have such experience for what's sure to be a competitive match," Head Coach Tony D'Arcy said.

"NSW A is coming off a solid win over the Auckland Blues Development fifteen last week in New Zealand, so we're expecting big things from this team."

Alongside Hoiles and Tuqiri will be fellow Waratahs Cameron Shepherd, Aaron Broughton-Rouse, Will Caldwell, Lei Tomiki, Chris Siale, and Ben Jacobs; HPU stars Marty Wilson, Josh Holmes and Rex Tapuai; and a handful of NSW Waratah Academy standouts.

"I'm very pleased to be able to give Academy players a chance in this match, with all of those picked having performed well against the Wellington Academy last week," D'Arcy added.

NSW A will finalise their preparations with a captains run tomorrow at the Bus Loop, Moore Park.

NSW A TO PLAY BRUMBY RUNNERS AT TG MILLNER FIELD 2PM, FRIDAY 25 FEBRUARY 2005

• Adam Walsh
  • Al Manning
  • Aaron Broughton-Rouse
  • Marty Wilson
  • Will Caldwell
  • James Campbell
  • Lei Tomiki
  • Stephen Hoiles [c]
  • Chris Cottee
  • Elia Tuqiri [v-c]
  • Lloyd Jones
  • Chris Siale
  • Ben Jacobs
  • Cameron Shepherd
  • Arthur Little

RESERVES

Luke Holmes, James Lakepa, Ben Hand, Dean Mumm, Josh Holmes, Greg Robson, Rex Tapuai

Waratahs outclass and outmuscle Waikato Chiefs

February 25, 2005 - 10:05pm

Story by: Other

[/b]:PhotoPop("]52239169_page_image.jpg Lote Tuqiri scores a brilliant try on the way to NSW's 25-7 win over the Chiefs.

The NSW Waratahs have kicked off their 2005 Tooheys New Super 12 campaign with a four tries to one, 25-7 comprehensive defeat of the Waikato Chiefs tonight at Aussie Stadium in front of 30,815 fans.

The Waratahs were more professional, organised and enthusiastic across all areas against a Chiefs outfit that failed to rise to the occasion and looked a far cry from the unit that made a huge impression last season.

Fullback Mat Rogers, who missed most of last season through injury and was sorely missed by NSW, again emphasised his importance with a man of the match performance.

Rogers opened the scoring in the 8th minute with a planned chip kick into open space in front of the posts within the Chiefs 22m. Teammate Morgan Turinui, anticipating the move, surprised the Chiefs when he shot through a gap to score.

After Rogers converted the try and the Waratahs led 7-0, Chiefs' flyhalf David Hill had one of his team's few chances for points but failed to convert the penalty.

Rogers then executed a piece of brilliance in the 38th when he deftly scooped a low pass then grubbered his way to the Chiefs' tryline, threading and jumping his way past Sailosi Tagicakibau and Byron Kelleher to pluck the bouncing ball and dive over the line in one motion.

Failing to convert, Rogers then played a key role in extending his team's 12-0 lead. From a scrum near halfway, NSW executed a midfield move to compress the Chiefs' defence then unleashed the ball out wide. Rogers hit the line in space and when he was tackled popped out a pass to winger Lote Tuqiri who ran an angle to score.

The result was an emphatic, half time lead of 17-0.

There was little the Chiefs could do. Against a well-organised Waratahs midfield defence, and struggling against NSW in the lineouts, the Chiefs made mistakes under pressure and gave away penalties at critical times.

And so it continued in the second half.

When Turinui bagged his second try for the evening in the 64th minute the Waratahs led 22-0 and any chance of a Chiefs' fightback was wiped out.

Rogers' missed the conversion for Turinui's try and kicked only one from six attempts. It was the only blot on an otherwise perfect scorecard for the NSW goalkicker.

A penalty, converted by Waratahs newcomer Peter Hewat late in the game, extended NSW's lead to 25-0 with their winning margin reduced by a late Chiefs' try.

The Waratahs travel to South Africa and will meet the Sharks in Durban whilst the Chiefs travel to Jade Stadium to play the Crusaders.

NSW Waratahs 25 (Morgan Turinui 2, Mat Rogers, Lote Tuqiri tries; Rogers con, Peter Hewat pen) defeated Chiefs 7 (Sosene Anesi try; David Hill con) at Aussie Stadium, Sydney. Half-time: NSW 17-0. Referee: Craig Joubert (RSA).

Tahs' secret weapon

By Peter Jenkins

February 27, 2005

NSW are planning to unleash two massive flankers with rugby league backgrounds when they take their Super 12 campaign to Durban for a clash with the Sharks on Sunday.

Wycliff Palu, a 120kg wrecking ball, helped splinter the Chiefs as the Waratahs opened their season on Friday night with a 25-7 bonus-point win at Aussie Stadium.

But with openside star Phil Waugh to miss the first of two games in South Africa because of the North-South tsunami benefit match at Twickenham, coach Ewen McKenzie is ready to go for further bulk in the pack.

Rocky Elsom, who dabbled in rugby league with the Bulldogs before joining the Waratahs two years ago, is the front-runner of three contenders to fill the No.7 spot.

Elsom was used as a replacement for Palu on Friday and, at 106kg, is more than 7kg heavier than the other two possibilities - Lei Tomiki and Stephen Hoiles.

"The options are to go with a specialist like Tomiki, or use Rocky or Hoiles," McKenzie said yesterday before NSW left for South Africa.

"They are all capable of playing there. I actually think Rocky prefers to play on the ball. He doesn't read the game as such, he's more into the direct contest. And the South African sides don't tend to play a small openside. So I don't think it's such an issue in terms of having a bigger guy there." The Elsom option would continue the McKenzie trend for up-front intimidation.

The Sunday Telegraph