SAU Community

So who has driven one?

Roy

Every month or two you see a thread about blowing the doors off overpowered HSV this and FPV that. Well the few days ive been lucky enought to drive i think a VX GTS and a GT.:cheers:

The GT was nice, drive well, stopped well, turned well, and went well. But didnt feel quick, but if you kept an eye on the speedo it obviously was.

The GTS, well lets just say when these two business partners bought their company cars, the GTS owner was the smarter shopper.

They go like stink, anyone that talks of std RB20/25s beating them flat out is having a hand feed. And they handle well, provided you dont go trying to change line or direction mid way thru a bend, then you KNOW its a big heavy car. But pull the thing up and turn it in and it surprised me how well it handled.

Suffice to say i was most impressed, after driving one i dont undertand hoiw on semi-slicks they got punded into the pavement by the SAU guys at Phillip Island:confused: Perhaps if you drive oen at what you think is 60% like i did, then when you really kick its guts in it doens thave that 40% in reserve????

Oh and double demerits weekend meant it was always going to be a sedate test drive, and the fact that its soemone elses 100k car, but have to say the Ohlins susp and Harrop (Or is it Bemebo these days) brake option make the grade:)

I haven't driven the Gen 3 but the older 195 and 225's were pretty doughy and sounded like vacuum cleaners. I reckon they'd be alright for long distance cruisers though with all that weight and soft suspension. The Poms in Evo mag said pretty much the same as you said.

I recall the yellow HSV Coupe in my group at PI was 1-3 seconds a lap faster on semi's and had a bit more straight line after I wound off the boost so that's not too bad. Apparently he'd spent a fair bit on it though on top of the pruchase price.

So you back in Melb? Up for some hard labour tomorrow then a bit of a feed after? I wanted to invite Kaz and Mick over as well so let me know.

Yeh flying back tonight...so will be up for a work session, but have to see Dr first:(

I would love a HSV Coupe, with some pipes and mild cam upgrade i think it would be a dream work car, even if it was just a silver CV8:)

I just thought it was interesting to actually drive one after reading so much about them, general chit chat lowered expectation to the point where i loved the Commodore. The only downside was the seating position wwasnt overly sporting, but neither was the club spec evo WRX i drove so cant harp too much on that.

I love this time of year with all those cars parked in the driveway with drunk owners throwing their keys at me:)

But they are damn pricey:(

I've driven a mates HSV Clubsport VX2 with SS induction kit and extractors, exhaust - that goes very well... its not as quick as my Skyline is (or was...) but for a big cruisy car its very impressive, quite a nice drive.

He has just placed an order for a VZ Clubbie with all the flash options, I look forward to experiencing that one!

Give me a call then. I'll PM Mick and Kaz to arrange a time. I'll be off to ACT Thurs and back on the 2nd.

I hear from the Big Turk (Emre) he is planning a HSV to go with the triplets. All that space will be needed.

I had a VS 185...was not that quick. Did go for a test drive in a VT gen 3 when the series 2 came out. That was 250Kw clubbie linked to the 6 speeder. It was pretty quick, but still...now after owning 2 turbos, I would never go back. The turbo power delivery is so awesome.

They are just too heavy to get around a track quickly. GTRs are bad enough and the HSVs are a good 300kg more. Of course with top tyres and suspension work they sit much better.

And yes I did round up a 300kw gts around oran park in the blue whale :cheers:

driven/dragged the VY SS ute it ain't all i'd say pwoerful i gave him a run for his money only beat him by a car length all the way up to 180 (on a closed circuit..he he) then the speed limiter hit in and he went past... wasn't that impressed since he paid 2.5 times what i did at least, then later on when i took my car for a dyno tune and found out the motor was crook so with the new motor in soon i wanna see what happens think i'll beat him by a bit more this time

yeah i have the same as most on the site a r33 gts-t

I've driven a couple of V8 holdens. Last one i drove was a VY SS Ute with Six speed. I'd never say they were slow for a standard car, and the build quality is definately on the improve. I don't have as much a problem with the cars, just the clowns that pay all that money and think they've just bought the best car in the world.

Birty I do agree with you to a point - but as of late in Australia there has been some very negative publicity about Skylines - which does indicate that there are infact dickheads driving Skylines who think they're the best car in the universe and they are the next Jim Richards in their R33 GTST with GTR badges.

Duncan has a valid point, they are too porky for a track car - in STANDARD trim, but then again, I would suggest to you a standard GT-R Skyline is far from a track car in standard form also...

I signed up to test drive the new 6cyl turbo ford and I must say I'm pretty impressed. If the car was a bit leaner, and had a better centre of gravity, didn't wobble as much on the turns and take soooo long to spool as opposed to a stock R32 then I'd think it was good, but as it was a standard R32 GTSt seems to be on par with the XR6 turbo as far as performance and factory options are concerned, which is a bit worrying since one is 15 years older than the other.

was that the F6 typhoon ? that seems like a good car on paper im glad the suspension got some attention, but yeah spose its good that they are getting their game on a bit, i still dont really like fords and holdens for the years and years of shity cars and re-badged gm heaps ( well most of the parts ).

i sometimes have trouble admitting they are making some good cars cause of all the junk from them ive driven, like all the standard models - i mean i would choose like a U13 Bluebird over a commodore anyday.

but i havnt got do drive the flash models, the new monaros seemed ok too, not really my thing but it felt ok.

ill always love the nissans so much more :)

sorry to get a little off topic

We see these at work often and find them very underwhelming and the Dyno backs this up but i find the XR6Ts the pick of the lot.The plastic trim is very tacky on cars of this price in both ford and holden.Gen111s do respond well to forced induction tho.

I would be gentle on the F6 clutch as Motor fried 2 of them. The car got kicked out of PCOTY because they kept frying clutches.

The XR6 Turbo is a great big fast taxi. For $9k in mods I can have a 10sec taxi:wassup:

i drove a vh with 253 once, that was awesome

i drove one of my mates vs clubbie with a fair bit of work and felt like it had balls all time but was only as quick as my skyzer

i have been in a 700hp commo and that was umm nuts just bagged up all time didnt even know you were sideways until he backed off and kicked back in!

but yeh stick to my nissans thanks!