SAU Community

Two 10's in the boot?

BOZ22N

hay,

i want to mount two type r tens in the boot of my r33 and i am trying to keep as much boot space as possiable. can you mount them in the battery and fuse compartment? has any one done it? does anyone have any pics?

Ta

I have one 15 in mine, and i have no space.. You could mount them both (if you fibreglassed the boxes) on both the right and left side of the boot, and false floor it for the amp, and you'll still have a largish.. amount of room left for other stuff.. rememeber the subs need a decent volume to sound good.. you have to take that into consideration too, you can squash them and get poor sound, or give them a bit more room n sacrafise some space, and have some decent sounding subs which is why i assume you baught the R's in the first place.

Hope this helps.

Heh every 2 threads I see that install.

If you do get smaller enclosures you will need to run more power but (i think) you will also get 'tighter' response. P'raps fhrx would like to comment that that (he know's his stuff).

I've never owned a 33 but by looking at their boots you may like to consider moving the battery + little computer thingy somewhere a bit more out of the way and having a custom enclosure between the suspension tower. (Then you can use a strut brace). Again someone with audio experience who's done 33's might like to comment about the acoustic properties that this setup results in.

The other way I could see it happening is with each sub faced slightly diagonal into the car from each corner of the taillight side of the boot. Then changing taillights might be a little difficult.

Last way is if you want to lose the spare wheel then p'raps you could do a custom job in there somehow but this will probably result in having a raised floor so you'd lose space that way. Then you might think bout putting in a space saver which could just sit in your boot, this way if you needed to use your boot you can atleast put the space saver in your back seat or something.

R33 boots aren't that big :

Thanks Guys That Was Alot Of Help, Still If Anyone Out There Has Done This Could They Please Comment.

Skyracer Your Install Looks Totally Sweet. How Many Db's Are You Getting? Where Did You Move Your Battery And Hicas Computer To?

Boz

intall in my avatar... i fibre glased and wooden frame to the floor of the boot... flush mouned all the amps against the walls and still have space for an adelaide trip with me and my gf. and there 2 12's... the spare tyre well is the bootom of my box... alot of work but works really well.... and you dont see my install even second post.... :D.. just jk's if you want more pics of the entire sytem inside and out let me know with an pm...

BOZ22N,

I am not familiar with the amount of space in the battery and fuse compartment (newby to lines), but if you can fit the speaker in there you can probably mount them there. Boxes can be made very small (to just fit the speaker) especially for 10's. You will have to port the box/s (make a breather hole) which allows the speaker to act like it actually has a larger box area. BUT, this has to be done properly, with proper porting diameter and lenghts. You can buy adjustable ports from places like Jaycar, Dick Smith etc, and your subs should have come with some info about box sizes for enclosed and ported (not sure if it gives porting values tho).

Which size amp are you running? A ported box will mean you will need a little more power, but not anything too over the top. You might also want to look at mounting the two subs back to back (one facing the boot, one the driver) but this means you will have to change the phase of one of them (preferably boot facing one).

Other than that you can get into making wierd box designs and stuff if you really want to save space. hope this helps

:)

• 3 weeks later...
Is it just me, or my Hicas box is bigger than the one above?

If that's the case, my car can't fit that box either.  ;)

nah, if the photo was taken from lower down you would see there is another box above the one you can see. (is yours a series 1 or 2, not sure if there is a difference).

In the R33 we have mounted single 10" under the shelf many times but you might struggle to fit two in there. Like this:

skyline_sub.jpg

Hi Fhrx,

Just wondering, I have one 12" boxed and it takes up the whole boot space. I have a 4 door line and have more space where the battery on the 2 doors would normally sit. So I was thinking of making up something that sits in there, but will probably have to use two 8" subs.

Do you think two 8" subs would sound ok or would you recommend a 10" instead?

Cheers!

• 1 month later...
Thanks Guys That Was Alot Of Help, Still If Anyone Out There Has Done This Could They Please Comment.

Skyracer Your Install Looks Totally Sweet. How Many Db's  Are You Getting? Where Did You  Move Your Battery And Hicas Computer To?

Boz

Thanks!

I think I measured before it was tuned in, to 128 DB of bass-tone only in the coupé which is more than enough! :)

The battery is moved as you see in the pics down to where the spare-tyre used to be. The buildpics here (sorry for slow web-hotel):

http://www.skyline.se/skyracer/webgallerie...build/index.htm

Regards

Håkan

I worked at Westside Car Audio in Perth WA for a few years and my advise is to face your subs towards the back of the boot " takes up alot of room but hey" the bigger the box the lower the bass, the smaller the box the more punchy the bass, so if you like Drum and Bass you would get a 12" or bigger and put it in a big box, if you like Techno/anything you would put it in a slightly smaller box.

I fitted 2 x 12"s into an R33 one time, faced them towards the back, bridged down 2 about 2ohms, Dont know if you can even get them anymore.. 12" Earthquake MAGA series subs, chew around 500RMS each but can take a load more!

Well anyway we found that the skylines respond better if the subs face backwards. Over 138db without a proper tune isnt that bad in a R33

PM me if anyone wants some help.

PS: Ported boxes are designed to give you a lower bass however they reduce your hard hitting punch " incase your reading this Derek "

most people face subs towards the back of the car due to bass loading. you get more bass than if you faced them forward. (this may have already been said, havnt read the thread). if you want to find out about it join CAA (car audio australia).

my problem is i have 2 alpine rype-r 12"s that i had in a datto with 1foot cubed sealed enclosures. and i want to start playing with ported enclosures but i now drive an R32 fourdoor. so about the only way im gonna fit my amps and subs in is to take out the back seat and probably recive a defect next time i get breathowed.