SAU Community

Upgrading GTR Turbos! Should i buy these Dump Pipes Aswell??

OohArrGTR

hey All, i have abit of delema happening here.. i was offered these HKS split dump pipe for $500... at the time the turbos are getting swapped would i be a greatly beneficitual upgrade for the money ?? what sort of Power advances should i get or would my $500 be spent somewhere better?? thanks i included a pic to show u what they were like.

hey All, i have abit of delema happening here.. i was offered these  HKS split dump pipe for $500... at the time the turbos are getting swapped would i be a greatly beneficitual upgrade for the money ?? what sort of Power advances should i get or would my $500 be spent somewhere better?? thanks i included a pic to show u what they were like.

i think you should benefit from them but do a search on dump pipes, there's been a bit of discussion on their merits. i think it was 'merli' who had done quite a bit of development work on his gtr engine and was adamant that they weren't needed. there are threads on this subject but no one could provide an indication of back to back gain.

at that price however it'd be worth it just for the weight loss. make sure they are HKS, there's a lot of copies around.

at that price however it'd be worth it just for the weight loss. make sure they are HKS, there's a lot of copies around.

amen. $500 is ok if they are REAL HKS. if not, for second hand copies I wouldn't pair more than $300 tops. In fact, personally I'd just buy the genuine HKS ones. Or even better, if you have stock front pipes too, replace them both in one hit with the new trust dumps. see pics: 3621extention_fpipe.jpg and 3621Extention-kitT.jpg

these are the sh1t as far as I'm concerned and a set will be going onto my GTR in the near future. They are around $1000 brand new which is damn good value considering you are getting dump pipes and front pipes for that money.

Richard

agreed, extended wastegate pipes are the best if you are going to fit dumps. i was quoted about $1k from Autobarn for these Trust types. given that they include an engine pipe you can't beat the value.

the CES ones are also worth looking at, although they are more expensive their extended waste gate types have an expansion chamber off the turbo which is as i understand it better again. they also make HKS style short dumps and quote dyno figures for them on a GTR, they are cheaper than HKS and i suspect just as good as anything else in that style.

Yeah I have seen the CES ones. What turned me off was that they are mild steel, and even though you can get them coated (which puts the price above the stainless HKS ones) due to the tight turns and bits where pipes merge the coating is not always perfect and these bits may rust. plus when you add their front pipes, HKS style dump pipes and coating the total (on special mind you) is $1300! Also I don't reckon (my opinion) that they look as nice as the HKS ones. pic: 3621gtr_dump_y1-med.jpg

then you have their competition ones (trust style) these look quite nice, but again I like the look of the trust ones more, these ones are at least in full stainless, but considering the cheaper ones are $1330 I'd reckon they are asking $1800+ for these, but I haven't checked the price with CES. here's a pic of them: 3621CES_comp_dumps-med.JPG

Richard

The HKS split dumps are really a bit short, the wastegate outlet joins too close to the turbine. But R32 GTR dumps are not so good, so any upgrade is worthwhile. Since I always wrap dumps and engine pipes I am not going to worry about getting them made in stainless. You can't see them anyway.:)

I have the trust dumps on my 32GTR. I noticed a big difference in midrange and top end with these. Combined with the full 3'' exhaust I think that the trust pipes are a very worthwile addition

1486TrustPipes0001-med.JPG

My only criticism is that they are a little bit heavy

Thats a great reply and extremely appreciated.. btw i have brought them now..

hoping to put out some good power.. apparently i have a nice front pipe on at the moment so i only need the dumps..

mmm that trust all in one does look very nice..

well the mods add up.. and are starting to destroy my bank balance..

Anyone got any thoughts on what my car should make power wise and the QTR times??

GTR

Front pipes

dump pipes

3in exhuast

EVC 5

Powerfc

GTR34 N1 turbos

m's filters

blitz BOVS :) hehe

Chris, have you seen the stock 32 dump pipes?? Any change from them will be better than the stockers! You will be very happy with the new dumps, and at $500 you can't do too far wrong!

I would be guessing around 265kws at the wheels? will your injectors be OK with the N1 turbos? I am heading up a similar route to you so will post my results in the next few months :) good luck

hoping to put out some good power.. apparently i have a nice front pipe on at the moment so i only need the dumps..  

Anyone got any thoughts on what my car should make power wise and the QTR times??

GTR

Front pipes

dump pipes

3in exhuast

EVC 5  

Powerfc

GTR34 N1 turbos

m's filters

blitz BOVS :) hehe

dont buy blitz BOV's the standard BOV's are fine.

Spend your money on injectors and fuel reg and fuel pump instead.

do it safe, do it smart.

The HKS split dumps are really a bit short, the wastegate outlet joins too close to the turbine.  But R32 GTR dumps are not so good, so any upgrade is worthwhile.  Since I always wrap dumps and engine pipes I am not going to worry about getting them made in stainless.  You can't see them anyway.:D

Hi SK

I know someone who wrapped headers on a BB Chrysler in a cramped engine bay and found that the temp got so high the pipes started to degrade/become powdery and collapse after about 12 mths. Might have been crap steel too. have you found anything similar? Probably not otherwise you wouldn't do it, just wondering...

GTR

Front pipes

dump pipes

3in exhuast

EVC 5  

Powerfc

GTR34 N1 turbos

m's filters

blitz BOVS :D hehe

Mine's almost the same setup as yours except:

- no dump pipes

- cam gears in and out

- bigger fuel pump

Running @ 20psi made 285rwkw. at the 1/4 mile best time was 12.2 @115mph, 1.9 60' time. with std 225/50/16" rims with falken 502's all round.

got more parts now so hopefully i can reach the 11's.

GTR32,

The cracking of the metal generally occurs when you have uneven wrapping of the pipe. It's easy to avoid. 1/4 of an inch overlap on the tape and a prespray (and properly cure) the pipes with VHT (White) flameproof paint (it is ceramic based pigment, the other colours are not).

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, the dump pipes fell through.. i dont know whether i should bother upgrading mine now.. i have the turbos arriving this week and i wont to get them on but i dont know whether i will need dumps.. i got some nice front pipes but i dont know what to do.. money is tight and a low 12 or very high 11 hehe 11.99 would be nice is all i want to achieve.. should i just leave the dumps.. and put money somewhere else??