SAU Community

Buying a R32 GTR in Sydney.....

']mashrock: isnt yours a fully worked gtr tho? ie motor and gearbox? i think that majority of the shit ones imported are stock or close to stock. the ones that have turbo changes and internals done will tend to be in a lot better condition as more money was spent on it.

I don't agree with that at all. Cheaply done modifications are likely to be just as damaging to the car -- if not more so -- than the stock setup.

Japan is just like any other country: full of people looking to do things on the cheap. Just because Japan is home to HKS, Tomei, Mines, et al doesn't mean that your average Joe uses those workshops. And if they do, expect to pay for it with a high purchase price.

LW.

Guest Mashrock
I don't agree with that at all.  Cheaply done modifications are likely to be just as damaging to the car -- if not more so -- than the stock setup.

Japan is just like any other country: full of people looking to do things on the cheap.  Just because Japan is home to HKS, Tomei, Mines, et al doesn't mean that your average Joe uses those workshops.  And if they do, expect to pay for it with a high purchase price.

LW.

this is true!

but still i have seen many many stockers comming in that are perfect!!

Find as near to stock as you can.

By stock I also mean the exhaust and air filter.

My GTR is immaculate, factory everything (including boost restrictor)

So were my other cars. They were untouched, and presumably not as thrashed as a slightly worked car. Whats the point of adding an exhaust on? To get more power -> why ? to drive the car harder. The same goes for any other power adders

Find as near to stock as you can.

By stock I also mean the exhaust and air filter.

My GTR is immaculate, factory everything (including boost restrictor)

So were my other cars. They were untouched, and presumably not as thrashed as a slightly worked car. Whats the point of adding an exhaust on? To get more power -> why ? to drive the car harder. The same goes for any other power adders

:rofl:

You also have to be careful to look for signs of a car being returned to stock for sale. Things like holes in the dash, or boost controller and turbo timers tend to suggest at least minor modification IMHO.

LW.

Yeah, mine still had the boost restrictor (which is a good sign).

Only mods were exhaust, speedo, CD player.

Even have stock rims.

I don't know about this "returning to stock" concept. Wouldn't it be more expensive to return a highly modified vehicle than to just sell as is, than to buy stock parts and reattach them to sell for just one or two grand possible premium?

I don't know about this "returning to stock" concept. Wouldn't it be more expensive to return a highly modified vehicle than to just sell as is, than to buy stock parts and reattach them to sell for just one or two grand possible premium?

Not really

Most of the guys in japan keep their stock parts (in case)

Stuff like turbo timers, boost controllers, aftermarket ECU's etc can be easily removed without inducing further costs.

So it really isnt *THAT* hard to return the car to stock if they have the stock parts.

This happens sometimes in japan, the owner will keep/sell the aftermarket parts rather than passing them off in the car. The new owner thinks they have purchased a fairly clean stock vehicle, only to find that it has had the shit modded out of it and is fairly thrashed :(

But in my honest opinion, stock is best