SAU Community

stolen cars!! what security????

basically i always here of cars getting stolen but never hear what security system they may of had.

so this thread is for anyone who has or knows of someone who has had a car stolen to list the type of security they had on the car, just to maybe avoid going down the same road.

:ufo:

If someone really wants your car bad enough they will do everything they can regardless of the security you have in the car. (this usually involes a tow truck of some description) Get a decent immobiliser/alarm combo from a reputably company to stop joy-riders and thieves looking for an easy steal, and a clublock just to really piss them off. :D

Just remember that no matter how good the alarm it all rather academic unless the installer took the time and care to install it properly.

Well respected brands that are Australian Standards compliant include Brant, Mongoose and Black Widow (though I have heard some unconfirmed rumours about Black Widow quality).

LW.

Binky1970: What about GPS Tracking?

A mobile phone is a large enough transmitter to be used as a GPS jammer. The microwave signal, although tiny (like mW) is enough to block/distort the GPS code. The phone needs a few mods, but they cause enough problems on their own.

That's why the airline flight attendants ask you to turn on mobiles and laptops "as they interfere with the navigation equipment". Modern armies have GPS jammers than can block an area up to 150km radius.

Sorry, what I'm getting at is that professional car thieves can make your GPS tracker a waste of money.

Mark

A mobile phone is a large enough transmitter to be used as a GPS jammer. The microwave signal, although tiny (like mW) is enough to block/distort the GPS code. The phone needs a few mods, but they cause enough problems on their own.

That's why the airline flight attendants ask you to turn on mobiles and laptops "as they interfere with the navigation equipment". Modern armies have GPS jammers than can block an area up to 150km radius.

Sorry, what I'm getting at is that professional car thieves can make your GPS tracker a waste of money.

Mark

I can guarantee you that a mobile phone WILL NOT jam a GPS signal.

yeah...I'd agree ....

I dunno about the GPS alarms, but we trail ride (motorbikes) in the bush with GPS naviagtion systems,plus most people have mobiles right next to them (in backpack) and we have no dramas...

Perhaps the alarms work differently however.

You're 100% correct. I guess my post was misleading - the phone itself WILL NOT jam the signal, but it can be modified to do so. I'm talking about the size and type of the transmitter inside. Just because you have a phone does not mean you cannot receive a GPS position, so Chris will still receive a GPS fix when on the bike. It's kinda like saying that every RB26 produces 600hp. If you have the right gear, then sure it's on the cards.

I was involved in a study in 2000 and the phones available at the time could be used to interfere with the signal. The piece of kit that blocks a 150km radius area was in use and available for $4000. Interfering (sp?) with a 15m radius requires a lot less power and can be done much easier.

The point I was raising was that a GPS tracking system can be defeated fairly easily by motivated thieves. I hope this clears my post up a bit, before you decide I'm talking out my @rse. :P

Mark

I try to be the first person to actually answer this thread,

A mate of mine had a very nicly done up VL turbo with a top of the line Mongoose alarm system, from memory it cost up around $600.

We parked the car at the Aspley hypermarket (in Briz), we walked inside and I realised I had forgotten my wallet. We walk back and got about 50m from the car and saw a guy sitting in the front seat fiddling around under the steering column, (no alarm going off).

He only see us running torwards him about 10m away, so we grabed him and "asked", "what the Fu(k are you doing", this was the funny bit, it was a fair bit of a struggle as you may imagine, he was trying his best to avoid being beaten to death, he managed to wimper "I was just looking!"

He managed to get away (we did not chase, don't ask why), because he had a big overcoat on, he twisted out of my mates grip, as he only had hold of the overcoat. What we managed to see as he got away (as the coat was half pulled of him) was all the tools he had under the coat in special pockets, just like in the movies with a dude in new york selling watches. He was really well set up, obviously professional.

So if they really want your car they can get it. I still think Mongoose are a good brand, I have a similar model in my R33.

Before you ask, we were certian we set the alarm, I remember thinking as he set it, "I wish I had remote central locking". I had a shitty NA VL at the time. We still don't know how he got around it, we assumed he was hotwiring it or sorting out the immobliser as we got there.

My mate was very lucky, so was the theif.

I think people keep underestimating and overlooking GPS..

If a car gets stolen with your keys in it you can still track the car down and recover it with GPS. Although i'm sure the GPS technology can be blocked, I doubt that even 1 out of every 5,000 car thieves is that smart.

Has anyone NOT had their car recovered and had a GPS alarm system installed, thats what I'd like to know as well :D