SAU Community

Oil pumps questions

I have had engines apart with the "N1" oil pump fitted, as well as stock oil pumps, and I have stripped both stock and N1 pumps. The *ONLY* difference i could see and measure between the two was a longer relief valve spring in the N1 pump, giving higher operating oil pressure. the flow must be the same between them as the rotor widths and teeth numbers were identical. Someone said the metallurgical construction of the rotors differed, i find that very hard to believe myself...

My question is who makes a genuinely higher *FLOW* oil pump with a totally redsigned rotor assembly, probably a wider one? This would demand a new casting as the stock casting hasn't enough material to accomodate a wider rotor assembly.

Thanks.

Sorry, no pics, but the rotors were identical (one set would fit the other pump and vice versa, with same number of "teeth". The only way to get more volume is a wider gear set, or (maybe) more teeth or a tooth form change, at any given pump RPM. I had a Tomei one in my hand yesterday, that was a totally different casting with the relief valve accessable externally, not buried in the sump, and with a wider gear set. A nice thing, but at a nice price too....

I am curious Chris, why do you require more pumped oil volume ?

The oil pump volume increases directly with engine speed. The only time it really becomes an issue is with a very low idle speed setting ?

As others have said the N1 pump has the same swept volume as the standard GTR pump. A high RPM engine can really use a SMALLER oil pump if the idle speed is suitably increased.

I have had engines apart with the "N1" oil pump fitted, as well as stock oil pumps,  and I have stripped both stock and N1 pumps. The *ONLY* difference i could see and measure between the two was a longer relief valve spring in the N1 pump, giving higher operating oil pressure. the flow must be the same between them as the rotor widths and teeth numbers were identical. Someone said the metallurgical construction of the rotors differed, i find that very hard to believe myself...

My question is who makes a genuinely higher *FLOW* oil pump with a totally redsigned rotor assembly, probably a wider one? This would demand a new casting as the stock casting hasn't enough material to accomodate a wider rotor assembly.

Thanks.

Absolutely correct Chris, all the N1 pump does is run at a higher relief pressure. Jun, HKS, Trust and a couple of others make pumps that actually flow more. I don't know what prices you get over there, but I can buy a complete Peterson 4 stage dry sump system for less than Jun want for a replacement pump. Both still require sump mods, so it pretty easy to understand why I go for the dry sump option on the race cars. On the road cars I simply fit a stronger pressure relief spring to the standard GTR oil pump, then it's the same as an N1 pump, costs about $2.

2galtk.jpg

4BCPMP.jpg

:D