SAU Community

R33 vs R32 caliper difference

Hi guys.. i recently bought a set of R33 calipers and rotors from a person on these forums.. but for somereason the calipers did not bolt up to the R32 suspension. The only reasonable conclusion i could come to is that the calipers were from an R32 (the look identical.. only difference is the numbers on them.

How do i tell the difference between the two?? will it help if i post a pic of the calipers.

EDIT*frontcaliper.jpg

hmm i am in the process of re-spraying my calipers and i am pretty sure my r33 ones dont look like that ??? i am in melbourne at the moment so if someone else doesnt answer for you i will double check tomorrow if mine are the same and get back to you. i could be wrong :D

Nick - why are you changing the brakes?? Do you own a non turbo??

Those calipers look like R32 GTST. But then again, R32 GTST and early R33 GTST shared those same finned calipers, where as the later models got the smooth calipers.

Thing is i bought these to put on my friend's R32 as an upgrade as the disks are larger... however these just dont bolt up. Is there any nuimbers or anything on it that tell me what they are?

When you say they don't bolt up do you mean that the caliper mounting holes don't line up with the holes on the suspension using the R33 disc ??

I understood that R32 GTSt and R33 GTSt used the same calipers, but the larger discs used by R33's would mean that the caliper mounting points on the suspension would have to be further outboard radially (assuming the mounts on the caliper are the same for each).

Just a thought...

I was using R33 disks and these calipers (which i was told were R33 when i bought them)... and the 2 bolts on the caliper were literally 5mm or so too far out. on my mates R32.. as if the disk was too large... and as they looked identical to his R32 calipers that's how i came to this assumption

Easy fix, take the discs to a brake place and have a little taken off the rim so it fits :D

Any idea how much that would cost??? coz that's sounds like an alright idea. and i'm assuming u mean that i should cut the caliper down to size.. am i right?

I was using R33 disks and these calipers (which i was told were R33 when i bought them)... and the 2 bolts on the caliper were literally 5mm or so too far out. on my mates R32.. as if the disk was too large... and as they looked identical to his R32 calipers that's how i came to this assumption

Thats because they are R32 calipers with R33 discs... You are right. The R32 ones have those mounts which lock through the pads to the caliper and keep them in place - R33 doesn't have those.

Match whatever calipers to whatever discs you are using and you should be right, and I think that applies to R32, R33, even GTR gear.

I wouldn't stress, get R32 discs.. there will be not much between them - unless its for the track. The main difference is the larger surface area of a larger disc = better heat dissipation and a bit better stopping power. They are still both 4 pot

Just sell the R32 calipers and buy some R33 ones, they go for the same money as they are the same 4 piston calipers with the same diam pistons, just different offsets to allow for different diam rotors. Sure to be plenty of S13 owners who will be happy with the smaller R32 rotors.