SAU Community

stuff idiots say about skylines

Interesting thread. I was at a petrol station and came out to have a few people looking at the R35. They start talking to me (unfortunately) and one guy pointed to his mate's skyline, not sure what it was...some 33 or something, parked nearby and said to his mate 'try hard sports car, common as bird shit POS' then pointed to my car and said 'THAT is a REAL car my friend. You may as well drive a prelude and give up'.

The sad thing is, the skyline driver did not defend himself.

It got me thinking...and I pose this question to all who own skylines (GTR or GTS or NA or whatever...makes no difference) It seems to me that there is a lot of hatred towards, not so much the car itself, but the driver of the skyline. Why is that? Why do so many people hang shit on skyline drivers? Sure ive seen plenty of wankers in skylines BUT ive also seen wankers in many other models. Why so much loathing for the skyline guy?

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting thread. I was at a petrol station and came out to have a few people looking at the R35. They start talking to me (unfortunately) and one guy pointed to his mate's skyline, not sure what it was...some 33 or something, parked nearby and said to his mate 'try hard sports car, common as bird shit POS' then pointed to my car and said 'THAT is a REAL car my friend. You may as well drive a prelude and give up'.

The sad thing is, the skyline driver did not defend himself.

It got me thinking...and I pose this question to all who own skylines (GTR or GTS or NA or whatever...makes no difference) It seems to me that there is a lot of hatred towards, not so much the car itself, but the driver of the skyline. Why is that? Why do so many people hang shit on skyline drivers? Sure ive seen plenty of wankers in skylines BUT ive also seen wankers in many other models. Why so much loathing for the skyline guy?

Just my opinion.

(1). Jealousy - Nissan Skyline is one of the world's most popular car along with Suburu WRX Sti, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution that is still in the car market today unlike Toyota Supra, Toyota MR2, etc.

As some of them are getting old, only some of the owners who are the real Skyline enthusiasts keep the car in great condition unlike some wankers who buy, thrash and sell them back because they can't maintain it. So when non-Skyline car enthusiasts see the bad examples on the road, they take it as all of them are in the same state and think their car is better than Skyline.

(2). Easy to find, buy and drive - Therefore, more wankers on the road that ruin the real Skyline enthusiasts reputation.

Edited by VNS 24

It will get to the point where the posers and f**kwits of the skyline scene can no longer afford/ have the skills to maintain one in good condition and hence it will return to the state of an predominantly enthusiast scene as with the Datsun guys, this also happens as cars get older as can be seen in the evo crowd, 90% of which people drive them because they are a newer sports car.

People often mock what they don't understand. Whether I bother to correct people depends on the situation. Sometimes people try to hang shit on my skyline and I come back with "what do you drive?" ect ect and it turns out to be a camry. Others I just don't bother, because they're so ignorant, there's no point you can possibly get across that will change their misguided opinion.

That being said, people just harbour stereotypes about the whole thing. People often compliment the car when they see it. Before hand, they think it's the average run-down wog mobile.

It will get to the point where the posers and f**kwits of the skyline scene can no longer afford/ have the skills to maintain one in good condition and hence it will return to the state of an predominantly enthusiast scene as with the Datsun guys, this also happens as cars get older as can be seen in the evo crowd, 90% of which people drive them because they are a newer sports car.

I, 100%, agree with you on this. That's why I always give much credits to the older, well maintained popular cars.

People often mock what they don't understand. Whether I bother to correct people depends on the situation. Sometimes people try to hang shit on my skyline and I come back with "what do you drive?" ect ect and it turns out to be a camry. Others I just don't bother, because they're so ignorant, there's no point you can possibly get across that will change their misguided opinion.

That being said, people just harbour stereotypes about the whole thing. People often compliment the car when they see it. Before hand, they think it's the average run-down wog mobile.

Speaking of talking down on Skylines, I once had this experience.

I was at a chemist shop waiting for my wife who's buying some things. A guy in a old Merc walked by and said "good looking car. What kind of car is it? Is it a new car?". I said "It's 2004 Nissan Skyline V35." He said "Huh, Skyline? I thought it was a Lexus." and walked off.

I was like" WTF?" :unsure:

Edited by VNS 24

I, 100%, agree with you on this. That's why I always give much credits to the older, well maintained popular cars.

Speaking of talking down on Skylines, I once had this experience.

I was at a chemist shop waiting for my wife who's buying some things. A guy in a old Merc walked by and said "good looking car. What kind of car is it? Is it a new car?". I said "It's 2004 Nissan Skyline V35." He said "Huh, Skyline? I thought it was a Lexus." and walked off.

I was like" WTF?" :unsure:

People are just like that. Old mate probably thought "it's from Japan, EWW". He obviously was only concerned if it was a euro. Funny what a badge can do. People an't appreicate a good car for what it's worth.

I almost think it is jealously/envy a lot of the time. I think it's evident when people initially hang shit on your car but then ask about 10 follow up questions about it. All while you're sitting there thinking "if you hate it, why do you car so much about it?".

Skylines are generally one of those cars you love or hate (given the nature of this site, the majority of us love them).

People are just like that. Old mate probably thought "it's from Japan, EWW". He obviously was only concerned if it was a euro. Funny what a badge can do. People an't appreicate a good car for what it's worth.

I almost think it is jealously/envy a lot of the time. I think it's evident when people initially hang shit on your car but then ask about 10 follow up questions about it. All while you're sitting there thinking "if you hate it, why do you car so much about it?".

Skylines are generally one of those cars you love or hate (given the nature of this site, the majority of us love them).

To tell the truth, that's exactly how he acted. :rant:

(2). Easy to find, buy and drive - Therefore, more wankers on the road that ruin the real Skyline enthusiasts reputation.

I'd say an R35 is easier to drive. I see women doing school runs in 'em where I live. You have flappy paddles and ATTESA so any muppet can look good driving 'em. Try doing school runs with a twin or triple plate!

I'd say an R35 is easier to drive. I see women doing school runs in 'em where I live. You have flappy paddles and ATTESA so any muppet can look good driving 'em. Try doing school runs with a twin or triple plate!

A veyron is also easier to drive than my daily driver twin plate s15 (and my gf who drives a mazda 2 has no issue driving it as well). I guess my mum could drive a veyron as well...not sure what that means though....I'd say absolutely nothing.

Sorry. I meant it's easy to find, buy and then drive. I've never driven any Skylines apart from mine, only have taken a ride. :P

A veyron is also easier to drive than my daily driver twin plate s15 (and my gf who drives a mazda 2 has no issue driving it as well). I guess my mum could drive a veyron as well...not sure what that means though....I'd say absolutely nothing.

I mean it takes more skill to drive a modified manual car, and makes you more of a man! ;)

It certainly is quite amusing owning a Skyline.

Everybody wants to drag, even some twat in a beaten up old Hiace.

One day, after a days skiing , I came back to my car in Perisher car park to find a babys bottle full of milk left right in front of my car. I quite liked that.

Another day, at a set of red lights and a horde of pedestrians crossing in front, an old guy about 80, placed his hands together like he was praying and bowed to me. :worship:

Might have had something to do with my plates which were GOD-51E at the time.

One day I drove to a wedding and parked right in front of the church just for laughs.

But I was the only one laughing. :devil:

Jealousy is definitely the main reason for blokes, probably kw related, and as for chicks that I know who hate my car, they are just scared shitless of accellerating so fast. :thumbsup:

I went to supercheap auto today to get some oil and an oil filter for my R32 gtst

The salesman said something that made me walk straight out

I've only changed the oil myself once before as I've only had the car 6 months and it was changed the day before I bought it

I couldnt remember what oil filter I needed so I asked the salesman longstory short he said I only have the r33 and GTR r32 listed but that's because here in Australia we got our own special edition non import RWD R32 GTR! WTF?

He then proceeded to suggest I use nulon brand oil in the car cause he uses in in his turbo falcon.

I said cool thanks for your help and left the store what a douche

Edited by stig mick

I went to supercheap auto today to get some oil and an oil filter for my R32 gtst

The salesman said something that made me walk straight out

I've only changed the oil myself once before as I've only had the car 6 months and it was changed the day before I bought it

I couldnt remember what oil filter I needed so I asked the salesman longstory short he said I only have the r33 and GTR r32 listed but that's because here in Australia we got our own special edition non import RWD R32 GTR! WTF?

He then proceeded to suggest I use nulon brand oil in the car cause he uses in in his turbo falcon.

I said cool thanks for your help and left the store what a douche

Sounds like he's been sniffing Nulon a bit too much.

Nice thread,

My 32 4 door get's called a camery from a work mate who drives a exel and his dream car is a vt clubbie.

or people who get go, oh such and suchs skyline had 400million killa wasps and goes so much harder, oh does it. wait im not getting above 3000rpm dickhead.

Edited by R TUNE