SAU Community

Trick out your PS2 for $0.00

BigDatto

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes.

All PS2's play all PS2 games NTSC/PAL/SECAM.

The question is... does your telly support NTSC ??

If not there's still hope. There are appz that patch .ISO images PAL-->NTSC & vice versa. Half the games I have are NTSC from HK and they play as per PAL, no patching.

M'kay ?

OK just checked. did back to back testing with Gran Turismo 3, HD vs DVD load times tested on all the screens available from the main menu. There was between 40-60% improvement across the menu. That's with a WD 7200RPM IDE drive (WD's do fit). the cheap one with less buffer. An 8mb buffer drive would have fared a little better. it's in my older v5/6 PS2 .

the PSTwo's USB port might be an achilles heel. USB disk drives are hella slow on my PC compared to IDE, but on the PSTwo ? Try it & see Gushiken San, at best you'll never have to swap discs again at worst they'll be slow to load.

Scratch that.

Word around the traps is:

No HDD support for PSTwo :cuss:

No HDLoader support for PSTwo. :thumbdwn:

That's the official line from $ony

$ony concocted a story George Bush would be proud of as to the lack of HDD support in the PSTwo.

The truth is PS2 always supported HDD, $ony held back while M!cro$oft was losing $$$$$ on Xbox software revenues from piracy as a direct result of HDD support. It was a commercially smart move to make the network adaptor a critical link in the chain, and to play that ace later in the game.

This is the PSX vs PS1 history repeat. And the lesson from that was: Hold on to your old hardware, it's built to a standard not a price.

I just put a 200gb seagate hard drive in my ps2, running HDAdvance 2.1. I was extremely happy with the loading times, no more load on my ps2 laser. Its nice not hearing the laser struggling to load trees and streets while driving in GTA.

• 2 months later...

narkeh... bring your PS2, memory card, a PS1 game and a network adapter ($30 from EB) and I'll do it for you in 5 mins... I've got a memory card editor (so you can plug memory cards into your PC and edit the files on it, same one I used a couple of years ago to get the 9000hp Mines R34 GTR in GT3). So you don't have to f**k around with all this swap magic crap.

oh you'll need a hard drive as well so I can put D1GP on it for you :cheers:

I did Danny's PS2 with a 20gb hdd out of an old PC, and I did one of my mate's PS2 using the 8gb HDD he pulled out of his Xbox :cheers: Most of the tutes out there seem to think 40gb is the lowest you can use. Bollocks to that I say.