SAU Community

Ants

CNR33

Not sure if there is any correlation between inark's 'ceffy groupies' hanging around his car, but I came back from a week down the beach to find my car had attracted a crowd of its own. It was covered in ants :rant:

Initially they were just under the bonnet at the base of the windscreen, then gradually branched out to basically all over the car. I'm talking hundreds of the bastards. I went to town with the high pressure hose, but they still came back.

I went to the car yesterday to find that they were completely gone, thought it must've been the heat. Went for a drive and found them all crawl out from every orifice of the car. I had crawling them on my arms and legs and makes it really hard to drive! I've never had this problem before, but i really hope they haven't nested in the car.

Apart from my little whinge(I'm quite bored at work), I was wondering if is safe to spray anything on the car itself or bug bomb the interior. They have been coming out of the air vents, and i'd rather not have to put too many chemicals into the air con.

Apart from crushing them with my fingers (so far I must have wiped out at least 200), can anybody suggest an appropriate course of action? :ak47: :headshot: :bonk: :fight!: :whip: :microwave :P :chairshot :flamer:

if you wanna get rid of ants, the easiest way is to keep your car clean, failing that find where the queen ant is and nuke her... apparently mint leaves deter em as well.

In hindsight, perhaps I shouldn't have just killed the first one and put his body on display to send out a message, they just returned in force...

Thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming! I'll try everything! :Bang:

The car is always clean and never has food, drink or rubbish left around. I think there is just a lot in our street at the moment/maybe an ant hill near where I (have to) park. I'm worried if I spray the area near the car, they'll all seek refuge inside.

Game on

Man, that's almost as bad as a big ass spider making himself at home in your car..

But yep, get some of that ant rid stuff and put it right near the nest, or where heaps of them are. Basically they eat this stuff and take it back to the nest to feed the queen. Then a few days later they are all dead :P

There's also a powder stuff that basically kills them as soon as they walk over it, but I don't think it would be very effective on a car.

J

another pimp of Ant Rid right here, the stuff is pretty effective, i wouldn't go bug bombing your car those things are made for whole rooms (and usually empty ones at that) you'll never get the smell out.

Get a spider to eat the ants. then get a bird to eat the spider.

...."there was an old lady...."

...hmm...is it strange that I had already given this serious consideration.... i figured one spider would be heaps easier to catch, but the bird... i like it :cheers:

you might need to invest in an aardvark or something lol.......what are the critters that eat the ants?

Yeah I checked with Rex the Echidna from the holeproof undies ad, he's booked solid...

Does anyone know if bunnings sell tiny little mouse traps?

LOL, dear son of rajab and i thought i've heard everything there is to abt cars.. and here we have high proformance ants :(. thumbs up to the 1st ant who got the idea, lol

I got pulled over on Monday night by a copper on a bike, thought he was going to defect me for the ants...wouldn't be suprised.

Instead, he said, "I've been following you for a while, trying to work out your wheel stud configuration". He had a quick look... said "All good, P-Plates; non-turbo, have a good night mate".... big relief, actually quite happy with the outcome!

no they dont.. they taste more like.. flavor-less biscuit bits.. trust me i knw :( but im talking abt the big ons not the tiny puny ants :)

Hey Hesh, if you're not opposed to eating them, would you mind spending a while getting all the little bastards out of my car?