SAU Community

Anyone shipped with Kiwi Car Carrier

Just wondering what everyones experience with them was with shipping from Japan to Australia, how much it cost and what the deal is with the insurance. With insurance how do you prove it was done since purchase etc...

Thanks,

B :)

hey mate, iv just helped my girlfriend import an r32 from jap land and it got bought over here by kiwi car carriers (much to our supprise, as they only deliver to brisbane and we live and were told it was getting delivered to adelaide) but we cant complain as we only bought it in november and it landed in brissy 2day, we were told that their insurance only covered sinking of the vessel....so im not sure about that sorry, its costed us around $3500 for shipping and customs clearance (not 100% sure yet as customs officer only told us rough figgure) any other questions feel free to ask

mark :rofl:

Yep I shipped with them just before Christmas, check out their website it explains most of the stuff including pricing:

Kiwi Car Carriers

I imported a 300zx and I think that was about 10.2m^3, will be different for a skyline, someone on here should be able to let you know the size.

My car was about 650,000Yen to purchase and cost me just over $4K in customs/duty/shipping/quantine etc.

Although it only goes to Brisbane they used to do free land transport to your city (in fact your house/compliance place !) but I think that might have changed now.

The insurance says it covers anything, damage, stolen bits etc. I'm just about to test that one out as I've got damage to my bumper. I'll keep you informed on how that goes....

Other than that they were pretty good, although it did take almost a month to get down to Sydney !! but Christmas got in the way and they also had problems starting mine for the road trip so had to forklift it :rofl:

Hope that helps !

Cheers,

Matt.

hi mate

we have had kiwi car carriers import 3 of our cars.

all of them had missed boats at least twice and we ended up waiting for four months for cars when we should have only been waiting 2. all our cars came off the boat with chain scrathes on the roof and doors, then we went through them for insurance and they said they dont repair anything under 500 dollars which was how much it was to get the paint fixed.

we also had some rare badges and things like that in the car which were all stolen and they said because the bades were under 500 dollars they couldnt cover them

so we have had very very bad experiences with them so i would not recomend them

cheers

I had a few things stolen in my car using them and also missed the boat once...not sure if that was the importer or the shipping co.

Car was shipped to Brissy and then trucked to Melb. - I picked it up straight from TOLL in laverton caus it takes 4 days to get from Laverton to Burwood ???? (about 45min)

They are generally not too bad. Like whats already been said, I wouldn't recommend packing expensive/loose items in the car. Cars with big body kits and low exhaust generally get damaged.

9/10 cars I've seen come in have scratches and dents that were not on the before they left Japan, but you can never point the blame because it can either be shipping company or the car carrier delivering it to you.

ive` just got arrival notice for 2 gtr`s on prince # 1 ...freight has gone up $7 US per meter + quarantine has gone from $90 per car to over $200 cleaning and q/t inspection....so much for the tarrif reduction ...swings and roundabouts i guess ....its just amazing how tax has been reduced from 22% to 10% with the GST ... tariffs have gone from 20% to 10% ...cars still costing the same ..govt cut still the same if not more ...surprise ..surprise

well prestige said that they would not ship it to our door and also got e-mailed a letter from kiwi sayin they dont...or do...or somthing...(was a realy bad traslation of jap-glish) ! but when we rang kiwi in brissy, they said they do every thing and not to worry....same wit the customs agent (he said it will take up to 5 days to clear and to pay for it when we pick it up in adelaide) ?...so we r just gona let it chill and see what happens...

ps....word of warning to ne one in adelaide...BOOK REGANCY NOW! you may get in b4 for march...ifffff ur lucky! :bs!:

1 dent and some paint could add to over 500 easily on a GTR.

could you win if you threatened court action. cause I have pics of the car before it left japan, and if it turns up with scratches and dents, god help me I will strike someone down over it. I love my cars, but carelessness with them should be punished I say :P

mark

(mine is on the prince which is in brissie today. jspec said they handle everything to get it shipped to my door. no cost to me from memory)

Apparently kiwi use to transport vehicle to your door, but since january 05, they will either transport it to their depot closest to you for an extra $150 or you can organise your own transport and they will give you a $250 rebate. I booked mine with autotrans who are delivering straight to complience shop.

sav1: give kiwi a ring, the brissy office and see what they say, coz they sait they only doing that if your car is un-driveable...eg: dosent start or is sooo packed full of shit they cant get in....coz we were bout to organise tranport but then rang them and...yea, just giv em a ring...it cant hurt!

mark

ps: mr r32 m-spec: how much did you sell ur car for? and how much did yu pay for tha gtr? as i have a 93 m-spec too and am thinking of selling it and buying a 89 32gtr as well :aroused: !

I have 16 cars, 5 in brisbane at the moment and rest waiting for shipment. Been waiting for 2 months, and kiwi is the only shipping lines which you can get your cars on regularly. NYK Mitsui comes directly to Melbourne, however New Cars have first priority, and whatever remaining space is left is for used cars. Good luck in getting cars on them. So i had to use kiwi for all my cars.

From Japan to Brisbane is pretty much a breeze, but then to get it sent to Melbourne is a headache. And regards to insurance, its gonna be hard to prove your vehicle was damaged on the ship if you dont get to see it once its unloaded. Kiwi can always blame the trucking company (Toll) for damages.

Hus.

www.allblitz.com.au

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just used them to bring over 32 GTST-4. Total cost was just under $2600. They did deliever direct to compliance work shop. Clearance time ended up being 10 days instead of 5.

Got to see car for first time early this week, unfortunately one mag was damage (place in boot) with space saver on car. Also forklift damage to side skirt and chassis, floor panel bent (although broker has stated they 'should' never move vehicle with forklift). Rear bumper also has large scrape on one corner.

Pretty disappointing since all damage has happened since I purchased the car, somewhere between Jpn and Au :rofl:

So be careful. I am placing a claim through Kiwi but apparently it is a near impossibility to have a claimed paid out through them.

yeah, just shipped with kiwi on prince no.1, saw the car for the first time yesterday and am a little disapointed looked like they used chains or lashes of some type to tie down the car front and back. looks like chains around the area where the spoiler attatches to the bootlid, the paint is all chipped and cracked on the pylon things, looks like they did the same through the grill area as quite a large area of paint has been removed from this area. both these areas were not damaged when i purchased the car. Will see how insurance goes

hey.

i bought a GT-R32 through prestige last year, and organised the shipping for early this year, they said my car should arrive in brisbane on the 2nd of feb. whats the G-O about getting it brought here-im in melbourne-? do i call kewe car carriers in brisbane and tell them i want it brought down to there depos in melbourne? or am i better off in getting it trucked or trained here? what will be safer? cause i dont want no scratches on my car ! :pissed:

i dont know how much the shipping and customs people charge so i put $5K aside for that. does any know a rough idear? and also a price for compliance? and a GOOD shop in melbourne too?

thanks.

justin - a.k.a [sLAKER]

hey.

i bought a GT-R32 through prestige last year, and organised the shipping for early this year, they said my car should arrive in brisbane on the 2nd of feb. whats the G-O about getting it brought here-im in melbourne-? do i call kewe car carriers in brisbane and tell them i want it brought down to there depos in melbourne? or am i better off in getting it trucked or trained here? what will be safer? cause i dont want no scratches on my car ! :pissed:  

i dont know how much the shipping and customs people charge so i put $5K aside for that. does any know a rough idear? and also a price for compliance? and a GOOD shop in melbourne too?

thanks.

justin - a.k.a [sLAKER]

hi mate i can help you out with your compliance

we go through a guy called mark

he is behind karisma on victoria street even tough they are moving he is still staying there

pm me for his number

bye

thanks.

justin - a.k.a [sLAKER]

shipping, customs clearance, all associated port fees/costs and import duty + GST will equal approx $4500 on a car that cost around 1 million yen in Japan. so you will be safe with $5000 (unless your car was very expensive to begin with).

HTH