SAU Community

help plzzzz! no sub??

Skorj

hi ppl,

i have just completed an install in my R32, which included installing an eclipse 12" running off an alpine m-500 mono block and an alpine 540 4 channel running the speakers front and rear.

i did the work myself with a friend of a friend who is a pretty experienced with fairly elaborate audio installs.

install went fine.... he tuned the amps and everything was working perfect.. sub was pumping.. i left his place and drove home. (i live 2 hours from this guys place hence the need to try and solve the problem myself rather than take back to him)

i was 30 min away when i thought to myself there isnt much bass, as i was only listen to radio at low volume.. sure enough i cranked it up and no sub!?? no vibration to touch.. zippidi squat..

i checked everything, sub is turned on at HU, m-500 is still on and showing readings 13v etc.. rca's at amp are still pluged in along with all other cables..

Strange thing is if i try to adjust the bass or trebble on my HU, it just freezez up and wont go up or down from zero.. (alpine HU)

very srange.. as all other functions work fine, even sub volume can still be adjusted up and down, from 0 to 15, but not bass or treble.

anybody have any idea what the problem could be?

the sub is duel voice coil and both coild are hooked up, but its not power cut from amp as i can turn car off and on again and it doesnt fix the problem??

can any1 point me in the right direction as to what may be wrong??

sorry for the thousand word essay,

cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

which Alpine hu?

for some of them (like my 9815) you actually have to trun the sub ON in one of the menu's.

otherwise, if that doesn't fix it, check the RCA's at the head deck

if they're still plugged in, try a fresh set of RCA's

if that doesn't work, try plugging a different sub on the amp

actually, are you sure your sub isn't dvc 2+2? if so, check how it's wired. the M500 won't like a 1 ohm load :)

- Stooge007 out

yeh i made sure i had sub turned on,

i did eventually find the problem, incase any1 else runs into the same dilema,

my alpine m-500 amp went into safety mode.. for some strange reason..

i was hooking up some neons and i got a nasty shock from a loose wire, which might have done something. or not..

all i know is i was checking amp settings and safety somehow got turned on.. i turned it off restarted car and sub works fine now..

strange..