SAU Community

r34 GTR Vspec, Import vs buy local

I would think anywhere from 70k-100k to import and from 80-120k local?

Not sure R34 GTR prices vary a lot...

Keep in mind even at the lower end say 70k to import one from japan, you're spending 70k on something you've never seen or driven before (unless you go over and check it out yourself)

Its hard to buy one localy as there is not many here .

You will save about $20 k buying the same car in Japan .

If you want a spec 1 Jan 99 -november 00 , depending on k's and condition they go from about 3 mil to 4 mil yen , then you have to add fob costs ( about 100,000 yen ) + shipping and local customs ( about $2k ), then you pay import duty ( 10%) on the cost of the car including fob , add all the above costs including shipping and pay 10 % gst . Compliance cost , in sydney $5000 including tyres ( + brakes , if they need to be done ) , then normal rego costs .

Keep in mind that cars that dealers sell here are usualy the cheaper ones with high k's ( yes i know they only going to have 30 k k's on the oddo after they done a job on it).

So you will pay $90 k here for a car you will get for $70 k from Japan .

You don't get to see the car from japan , thats the only problem , unless you do what i did and go there have a holiday and pick a car there .

You don't get to see the car from japan , thats the only problem , unless you do what i did and go there have a holiday and pick a car there .

That's actually a good idea.

$3000 on a trip to Japan to save $20000 is a good investment.

Plus you get to immerse yourself in the culture that created the beasts.

Its hard to buy one localy as there is not many here .

You will save about $20 k buying the same car in Japan .

If you want a spec 1 Jan 99 -november 00 , depending on k's and condition they go from about 3 mil to 4 mil yen , then you have to add fob costs ( about 100,000 yen ) + shipping and local customs ( about $2k ), then you pay import duty ( 10%) on the cost of the car including fob , add all the above costs including shipping and pay 10 % gst . Compliance cost , in sydney $5000 including tyres ( + brakes , if they need to be done ) , then normal rego costs .

Keep in mind that cars that dealers sell here are usualy the cheaper ones with high k's ( yes i know they only going to have 30 k k's on the oddo after they done a job on it).

So you will pay $90 k here for a car you will get for $70 k from Japan .

Import duty is 15% With the rego you have to pay Stamp duty 2-3%

Import duty is 15%  With the rego you have to pay Stamp duty 2-3%

Import duty is only 10% as of 1st january 2005 and reduces to 5% 1st jan 2010.

+gst 10 % as for the state stamp duty i think it varies a little from state to state .

In nsw its 3% up to around $50k and from then on its 5% .

Stamp duty you will pay the same regardless , even if buy a car registered localy thats why i didnt mention above .

Import duty is only 10% as of 1st january 2005 and reduces to 5% 1st jan 2010.

+gst 10 % as for the state stamp duty i think it varies a little from state to state .

In nsw its 3% up to around $50k and from then on its 5% .

Stamp duty you will pay the same regardless , even if buy a car registered localy thats why i didnt mention above .

Thanks for that