SAU Community

Laptop / ecu

Jahson

Hi Turbo Guys. I'm a newbie, got a simple question. Can I use my IBM THINKPAD to tune or run my RB20DET? And if so what program would I need to install to interface with the engine? p.s. I really like your Web Site. Very informative forums. Logged on.

You could use it to tune an existing ECU if you have the right software, but to run your engine from a laptop, not a good idea.

Engine management requires a real time operating system to control fuel injectors etc and read input signals. Windows is a non-deterministic operating system which means interupt latency is not guaranteed. Even Embedded versions of windows can be called soft real time at best. This means it responds to imputs when its ready, not when you need it to. Also you have to contend with the blue screen of death etc. If you use linux, it is better but it is still not a hard real time operating system.

Hypothetically if you did get all the software sorted out and had a hard real time operating system and the appropriate engine management software installed you still have the problem of having the required interfaces such as reading all the input signals and being able to drive outputs such as fuel injectors. So an external interface would be required.

The laptop is also not made to run in that environment full time. The hard drive would fail and you would probably suffer random lockups from internal problems caused by the continuous vibration and g-forces.

what software would u need for a r33?series 2? what programs? im not chasing engine manangement i just wanna see what the car is doing?and also help with tuning the orginal ecu? but i dont want it to acutally run the car or anything like that! what software would i need to read the car and look at all that???pm me if u have the software or have ideas thankz

if you obtain a conzult cable from PLMS Developments you can read your ECU all fine, but that doesn not do tuning.. only part i have heard of really for hand on tuning is hand controller for Power FC.

I am running the conzult cable on a r32 rb25 and it works all fine, i can read everything from the ECU, turn off cyclinder, increase/decrease timing but very limited options.

I have tried a few programs but they basically all the same, but would never think about running a full engine management system off a laptop as GTRman has said, would not be worth it.

Can you re turn the original ECU's? i know yoshi would be able to do these i think.

Having 12 guages on a laptop is kinda cool looking tho. haha :cheers: