SAU Community

ANOTHER DEFECTED THREAD...7 DAYS & COUNTING

RTFGTR

I will start with my post in the "I got pulled over in my driveway thread"... to get ppl up to speed.

LANGUAGE WARNING... PISSED OFF  

I WILL START A NEW THREAD AS I NEED HELP ASAP.

Driving down Dandenong Rd. tonight and I get pulled over for nothing (no traffic offence committed) and get the: "we will be conducting a full RWC on you car sir, please pop the hood.... Anyway I CBF'ed gouing into it all right now as I'm destroying my keyboard as I type, I AM SO ****ING MAD - I have a MAJOR DEFECT NOTICE on my car and needed to get it towed (what a ****ing wank) my car is safer that 99% of the shitboxes out there. I got done for:  

Intercooler/ Pods  

Boost Controller

2 x front tyres (for those that went on the Portsea Cruse, they are pretty bad but not ****ed)

Ride Hight (100ml) easy

Exhaust noise (EPA test)

Internal wiring (stero AMP)

Steering Wheel (needs to be padded center)

Front end alingment (cause of my fronts getting worn??)

All this needs to be done in next 7 days

They placed the DEFECT notice in the middle of the windscreen (I can't see shit when driving - how am I going to drive around to get this shit fixed... do they expect me to tow the ****ing car all over town to get it complied??)

And, I got done for driving an unroadworthy car $265

My licence expired about 3 weeks ago and I have not had it re-issued yet $107 (Ironic as I work next door to VIC ROADS)

I have done nothing wrong in the way of respecting the road rules, sure these things can be fixed. I reckon at the very least with the fines I'm up for $1300. Also, being a short week coming up I think I will struggle to find the time to get everything done. Could not have happened at a worse time. I'm extreamly busy at work with a new product release (Monday) and a $600,000 Harvey Norman order to ship by Tuesday and 80% of my staff have booked time off after Wednesday public holiday... my bosses will not be keen to give me time off next week to run around getting shit done to my car.

I will start a new thread now and list the thing that I think SAU may be able to help me with and advice on how to best resolve my delema.

EDIT: The cop also asked if I was XXXGTR from the nissansilva.com forums - I'm not a member on there... who is using my number plate as there forum name??? I think that may be what caused me to be pulled over in the first place cause that was one of the first things he said to me.

I need the following:

HELP...

Standard air box (can this be done with the T78 set up?)

What should I do about the boost controller??? Hide it?

Most of the other things I can organise myself.

I will be booking my db. test @ DEALLDERS-spelling? early next week. If I don't pass I will fill my zorst with cotton buds till it does.

I will be getting 2 x tyres and wheel alingment mid week (probably Donnellans-spelling? Box Hill)

Wiring - my stero does not work anyway so I'm just going to rip it all out.

I will be buying a steering wheel from Autobarn probably, anyone know of a place that sells padded steering wheels cheaper than Autobarn? (this one is crok in my eyes caus the VIC ROADS and RWC tester both sighted this when I got the car complied?????)

Ground clearance (100mm) I think it passes already - I have Tien HA sus. anyway

Any help much appreciated.

Robin

Hmm, sounds like that copper that done me, has done you, but mine was in St.Kilda

He got me for ride height which was too low, padded steering, needed wheel alignment (really mr copper but my tyres are still roadworthy, does it need a wash too???)

What i did, get a roadworthy, they will check your road height (adjust up your Teins) and tyres and all the other stuff. You should get a wheel alignment if your getting new tyres anyway. I didnt touch my wheel alignment or tyres. Now with the steering wheel, i left mine and no one said a word, as long as i gave the roadworthy to the EPA it was ok. Now the epa will look at your bleed valve and do i noise/emission test. With the bleed valve once i hid it and got away with it and the second time i took it off and ran the hose directly to the actuator. As you have a GTR they allready come with a FMIC so shouldnt pods be ok?? You are allowed only one intake mod, either pod or cooler not both but as a GTR is standard with a FMIC, a pod should be ok, correct me if im wrong!!

With a T78, have you got an external wastegate?? Thats a big no-no

Good luck.

Man, you only got the thing RWCd like 3 months ago, how can they possibly defect it now.

The IC can't be a defect - the damn car comes with one. The pods can only be a (potential) noise-level defect - there are no controls in the (replaced) airbox that affect emissions.

I don't have a padded steering wheel either, but the last RWC guy accepted it on the understanding that I would simply fit a compliant one, get the RWC, then put the original back. Add to this that he was the first ever to comment on the wheel, anyways.

i had the same thing happen to me... it is a pain but it sounds like u dont have to have a full EPA inspection... for now anyway... i say this because when the cops pulled my car off the road i 'conveniently' recieved an EPA inspection notice in the mail about a month later...

Y not take the car back to where you had the roadworthy done when you got the car? and you will need to have the car inspected by vicroads but that is no problem at all...

Just work up and I feel like I really need to get a lotto ticket tonight... how much bad luck can 1 person get in 2 days (Driveway pull up Thursday, MAJOR DEFECT on Friday) both times I was doing nothing wrong at all. Fair enough if I was speeding, getting my arse out around a corner... any sort of traffic infringement, but no... I drive like ****ing Miss Daisy and what do you ***ing get... MAJOR DEFECT on a very safe and roadworthy car :bonk:

The T78 has an external w/gate... I will get it plumbed back to the exhaust again.

I don't understand why u got done for : Internal wiring (stereo AMP)

What's wrong with that?

My amp came from Japan located where my passengers feet are meant to be and all its wires are tied in with boost controller and extra cooling fan switch. They are all tucked away under mats (cop lifted the mat because he could see wiring coming from switch I think, asked me if that was my aftermarket ECU. I had to show him the left and right speaker channel outlets?? Anyways that’s an easy fix, my Inherited Japanese MiniDisc player needs to be replaced anyways.

Hmm, sounds like that copper that done me, has done you, but mine was in St.Kilda

He got me for ride height which was too low, padded steering, needed wheel alignment (really mr copper but my tyres are still roadworthy, does it need a wash too???)

What i did, get a roadworthy, they will check your road height (adjust up your Teins) and tyres and all the other stuff. You should get a wheel alignment if your getting new tyres anyway. I didnt touch my wheel alignment or tyres. Now with the steering wheel, i left mine and no one said a word, as long as i gave the roadworthy to the EPA it was ok. Now the epa will look at your bleed valve and do i noise/emission test. With the bleed valve once i hid it and got away with it and the second time i took it off and ran the hose directly to the actuator. As you have a GTR they allready come with a FMIC so shouldnt pods be ok?? You are allowed only one intake mod, either pod or cooler not both but as a GTR is standard with a FMIC, a pod should be ok, correct me if im wrong!!

With a T78, have you got an external wastegate?? Thats a big no-no

Good luck.

Stonington TMU in a Falcon GT - purple and faint orange bonnet/side highlights.

I checked my ride height this morning (No.. I haven’t adjusted the TIENS) and I'm 140mm @ front bar and 200mm on sides?????

FMIC + two pods (note on shopping list says it needs to be one or the other, but it would make perfect sense since the GTR has standard FMIC anyways??

Steering wheel I will get some rags and wrap them around the 50mm of exposed metal and some electrical tape in black... I know have a padded wheel :idea: You reckon that would cut it? I don't mind getting a new one, just a pain in the arse and waste of my ****ing money!

Tyres I will be getting done as it was almost time anyways.

Fixing the POD's if not allowed current set-up will be my biggest ball breaker to fix in 7 days B4 I lose my registration???? How can a std. airbox fit?

If it's any help I've got a standard airbox you can borrow.

That would be great. I will organise to pick it up later in the week. I already know where you are. I'll PM you with a time etc...

Hopefully it won't be needed if someone knows what the ruling for the GTR is since it has the FMIC standard anyways??

guys.

keep it to helping him and this stay open.

no more cop story threads. ok? We said this a while ago.

Keep it to the MEMBERS SECTION as that is private if you wanna ahve a b*tch session as the Police READ THESE FORUMS

Ok. Fully understood

guys.

keep it to helping him and this stay open.

no more cop story threads. ok? We said this a while ago.

Keep it to the MEMBERS SECTION as that is private if you wanna ahve a b*tch session as the Police READ THESE FORUMS

Just had a good look on the infringment notice.

Sec. 7 "If this notice is not cleared by 19/02/05 the vehicle's registration may be suspended from that date" - does that mean I get a month to fix all items on list? I recall the policeman saying it all needed to be done in 7 days?

Can anyone confirm for me if I can have POD filters since the GTR came with FMIC standard?

Can anyone confirm for me if I can have POD filters since the GTR came with FMIC standard?

My understanding is that if the IC is factory standard then the pods are OK, but suggest you talk to the EPA to confirm and ask for that in writing.

I talked with a Vicroads engineer (NOT one of the desk drones) about pods about 6 months ago. To quote him directly:

"We are'nt concerned about them.....they are not an engineering (ie roadworthy) issue. However the EPA may be interested, you should talk to them"

So I rang the EPA. They were very helpful and, in a nutshell, they are allowed as long as they are the only intake mod (as we all have thought). One thing to note tho was that they wanted to know the make, model and year of manufacture of the car, but mine was only a general enquiry about pods. I suspect that with more recent model cars, the ADR's are stricter (ie pods may not be allowed under any circumstance on something manufactured in 2004, for example).

Just had a good look on the infringment notice.

Sec. 7 "If this notice is not cleared by 19/02/05 the vehicle's registration may be suspended from that date" - does that mean I get a month to fix all items on list? I recall the policeman saying it all needed to be done in 7 days?

If the intercooler fitted to your car is the factory intercooler (not aftermarket) then your pod filters are ok. (as per the EPA's "one intake mod" rule)

If you have an aftermarket intercooler and pods then you have to return one of them to stock to pass an EPA inspection.

Since you only need a RWC inspection to get the defect cleared, just tell the vicroads guy that your intercooler is stock (even if it isn't) when you produce your RWC and they should let you pass and clear your defect...

If the intercooler fitted to your car is the factory intercooler (not aftermarket) then your pod filters are ok. (as per the EPA's "one intake mod" rule)

If you have an aftermarket intercooler and pods then you have to return one of them to stock to pass an EPA inspection.  

Since you only need a RWC inspection to get the defect cleared, just tell the vicroads guy that your intercooler is stock (even if it isn't) when you produce your RWC and they should let you pass and clear your defect...

Aftermarket IC but same size???

Anyways, I just took a walk to VIC ROADS and spoke to them about my current position and to get my licence renewed. I have there total support in getting my car back on the road. They too do not understand why :

A: you can sell a non padded steering wheel yet they are illegal???

B: Since my car was engineered only 3.5 months ago why it is DEFECTIVE now

My advice was to get the DB test for exhaust and send to EPA. Go to the same place that issued the RWC and get it re-issued...only thing that is not so good was they need to inspect ride height - otherwise they said I would not have been required to bring the car in for an inspection. I think VIC ROADS or some people @ VIC ROADS are also struggling to get the logic of DEFECTING a perfectly safe car on these stupid rules (GO AFTER THE CARS THAT ARE A DANGER TO ROAD USERS) maybee if they were concentrating on that our weekend raod toll (8) would have been lower (no Skylines on the news this weekend)

I tried to call EPA motor division... guess what? They are all on annual leave today?? Public Sector serving the public as usual.

u can buy bongs but cant use them... same deal

same with bovs.. oil catch cans which have a breather etc

but as if any of them will know that the GTR cooler is aftermarket and not stock

I rang the Policy & Education department of the VIC TMU (where the officers get trained to become a TMU officer) and I have the official ruling on steering wheels.

RULE: If your car is pre 1995 it can be fitted with an aftermarket wheel but must exceed 330mm

1st clause: This wheel must also be padded or depressed if original wheel design had such qualities. This is obviously not word for word but you get the drift.

So looks like I will need to spend about $300 to get a padded centre aftermarket wheel. Even though the cop I spoke to had issues with the clause and its logic.

Also, on my list it has ride height @ 100mm minimum (this is fine as I have already checked) but talking to officer he asked what measurement the TMU officer that booked me got... He did not measure anything... that's a big no-no on behalf of the cop. I could in theory get that requirement taken off the list but since I will pass anyways, what’s the point.

I also rang the EPA today and got some official advice on the intercooler/pod issue. Guy advised that if I can convince the RWC person that my FMIC is the same size as original than it should be fine, even if aftermarket. Does anyone know the correct specks on the R32 GTR FMIC to measure against my TRUST unit... also piping needs to be same size?

Also,

Did anyone manage to listen to 774 ABC Radio this morning? I rang and used the free legal advice line about my "little" issue... talked to the guy about my wheel and advised that I take it back to original engineer and get papers to certify ADR compliance. CBF'ed and I bet he would tell me to get lost anyways.