SAU Community

Lifespan on RB engines?

i am into r31s obviously. so call me biased.

but i can't go past the rb30e.

mine has only bout 205. i have absolutely abused the car since i bought it at 136,000. that was 2 years ago. it has sat on rev limiter for a total of about 2 hours at a motorkhana day. it's done 4.5 minute burnout in 1st gear at 6,200 in burnout pit at wsid. various others engine harming experiences where it just bounces right back.

i'm not known for engine maintenance, but car does not miss a beat

the rb30e is amazing

we know of a guy with a 31 that was done 700,000. no kiddin.

anyway i'd go so far as to say it's definitely the best engine in this country ever, if not the world.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am into r31s obviously. so call me biased.

but i can't go past  the rb30e.  

mine has only bout 205. i have absolutely abused the car since i bought it at 136,000. that was 2 years ago. it has sat on rev limiter for a total of about 2 hours at a motorkhana day. it's done 4.5 minute burnout in 1st gear at 6,200 in burnout pit at wsid. various others engine harming experiences where it just bounces right back.

i'm not known for engine maintenance, but car does not miss a beat

the rb30e is amazing

we know of a guy with a 31 that was done 700,000.  no kiddin.

anyway i'd go so far as to say it's definitely the best engine in this country ever, if not the world.

I can easily top that, I've an old VL toilet door thats done 1,600,000 K's on the same donk. I've gone thru 4 heads, but the donk & tranny (auto) are factory original. I bought the thing new, & it hasn't missed a beat since 1986. Thats why i've just bought an r32 gtr, which has just blown the @@##?? clutch.....

I forgot to add that the speedo shit itself at 1.5,-0000000 (is that enough zeros??) but why bother to replace it. I've currently got the car for sale but i dunno whether to tell any prospective buyers that the speedo reading is second time round ????? :Bang:

• 1 month later...
my rb20det had approx 180,000ish just before it died, not actually sure of what happened, motor blew the day it was sold.
The day it waz sold... Thats lucky....
was it out of your hands after the engine died?

I can shed some light on it since i bought the thing, it was out of his hands and in to mine when it let go, but i knew it was f@rked and paid accordingly.

Ben you need to have stern words with who ever touched your cam belt last, it'd been put back on a whole 2 teeth out, and the chance of it jumping teeth by itself is slim. Once that was rectified it actually compression tested up reasonably well but it'd done a big end bearing on #1 cylinder so we just ripped out the engine and replaced it (60-80K engine but who knows with wreckers?).

If you're interested mate your old beast now has nice FMIC and Electronic Boost Controller only pushing 12psi but will wind it up some on the dyno next month. So far its been good to me and did Melb - Adel trip no worries.

Good luck with your Ceffy mate.

I can shed some light on it since i bought the thing, it was out of his hands and in to mine when it let go, but i knew it was f@rked and paid accordingly.

Ben you need to have stern words with who ever touched your cam belt last, it'd been put back on a whole 2 teeth out, and the chance of it jumping teeth by itself is slim. Once that was rectified it actually compression tested up reasonably well but it'd done a big end bearing on #1 cylinder so we just ripped out the engine and replaced it (60-80K engine but who knows with wreckers?).

If you're interested mate your old beast now has nice FMIC and Electronic Boost Controller only pushing 12psi but will wind it up some on the dyno next month. So far its been good to me and did Melb - Adel trip no worries.

Good luck with your Ceffy mate.

Hmm very interesting Ash. I will have to ask a few questions with that workshop ;) Don't think i will be taking the ceffy back to the same place, espec considering it will be up for a new cam belt when it gets here. Having the timing belt teeth out didn't cross my mind. And yeah i had actually tested the compression a few months before the problems started and amazingly did have a pretty even compression in all cylinders.

Otherwise it Great to hear the car is now going well!! ;) If your still using the same ECU you should be able to find someone in adelaide to do a new map for the FMIC, otherwise i'm sure sam(dr drift) will send u in the right direction.