SAU Community

Newbie - Boost Question?

sauguest

Hi Guys,

How much difference does it make up'ing the boost in terms of power?

As we all know, boost controllers are illegal, in Victoria atleast.

Will up'ing the boost make a huge difference?

Lets say you have:

R34 GTT, 3" Turbo back exhaust, FMIC, High Flow Panel Filter.

If you "up" the boost to say 10-11 psi, will it make a big difference in power? Anyone know a ball park figure of the power increase?

Reason i am asking is, if it only increases the power by 10-15rwkw, i dont think it would be worth doing for anyone considering the risk you are taking.

Any advice would be great as it will help other members too :mad:

Thanks all.

:P

Upping boost mean's more air going into enigne meaning you'r going to need the fuel to compensate for it but the stock ecu usally runs rich and can self learn to whats being done to the car.

You will deffiently notice it seat to pants, the car will pull harder/stronger through to redline.

If you'r at the dragstrip, If you have good traction you will see better terminal speeds & ET's.

I'm not to sure on how much HP you will get from upping the boost depends on what else is done to your car.

:P

Jun

Hi Guys,

How much difference does it make up'ing the boost in terms of power?

As we all know, boost controllers are illegal, in Victoria atleast.  

Will up'ing the boost make a huge difference?

Lets say you have:

R34 GTT, 3" Turbo back exhaust, FMIC, High Flow Panel Filter.

If you "up" the boost to say 10-11 psi, will it make a big difference in power?  Anyone know a ball park figure of the power increase?

Reason i am asking is, if it only increases the power by 10-15rwkw, i dont think it would be worth doing for anyone considering the risk you are taking.

Any advice would be great as it will help other members too ;)

Thanks all.

:D

3" Turbo back exhaust, FMIC, High Flow Panel Filter.

They are all more "illegal" than a boost upgrade. If I increase the spring rate in the wastegate actuator it would be virtually impossible to detect.

On our R34 GTT 3 psi = 15 rwkw max power increase and around 18 rwkw average power increase. Then it was tuned (Power FC ) for that boost level and it picked up another 10 rwkw.

It is worth doing, even if you don't tune it. But it really needs to be tuned to get the best from a boost upgrade.:(

Keep in mind boost doesn't mean much, its the amount of air you flow...

3psi boost may not be much on a smaller stock turbo, but on a bigger turbo, 3psi could be twice as much air, hence twice the power increase.

The boost controllers are illegal because it changes your emissions

I've recently taken my bleed valve boost controller off for awhile so i cruise a bit easier on the freeway and not have my pod filter making heaps of noise on the slightest accelerator touch.

Standrad boost back to 7psi from 10psi.

HEAPS of difference! Feals so sluggish now.

You can do this upgrade (putting the bleeder on that is) for about $100.

Well worth a try. You WILL notice it.

I'm going to put it back on eventually and hope to do a decent installation guide.

It's so easy and alot of people ask about it (i remember not knowing)

As Arnie says...... "DOOO IIIITTTTT !!!"