SAU Community

HELP: Oil in inlet duct

GTSpec

Disconnected AFM to install new one and found oil in the rubber duct leading to AFM. Help.... what could this be due to???

Also, my oil pressure varies between 0-6 when driving.... sometimes it will sit at 0, other times rising to 6, and sometimes sits at 4

This oil is usually normal when running higher amounts of boost. You get what is called blowby. The only real way to prevent it is to a: run lower boost or b: get an oil catch can fitted.

It could also be an indication that your rings are on their way out as this allows more crankcase pressure which results in blowby. It really depends on the amount.

Coke bottle cap full = normal blowby

Half a litre = rings buggered

the car is running 10psi, there was only a small amount of oil in the duct at the point where i removed - at AFM..... so i dunno how much oil there is further down the tract but i was able to wipe away the oil with a tissue so not much at all....

What im worried about is the pressure meter....... i been told its prob just the meter but i dun wanna hurt my engine.

got it booked in with racepace for major service mid next week.

I getting:

Oil/oil filter, check oil pressure and oil in inlet

Gearbox - redline

Diff, transfer case fluid

check coolant

anything missing?

the oil in the inlet is a pretty normal thing with the skylines. don't let them tell you your engine is rooted before you have a compression test, both wet and dry and a leak down test. If they feed you any crap then ask them to prove it...any good mechanic will be able to back up their statements with facts.

when you say transfer case, do you have a GTR or something?

another thing is with the oil pressure, it should be 25 PSI at idle 42 PSI at 3000 RPM and 50 PSI at 6000 RPM.

This is according to the engine manual. If they give it to you in bar then it will be something like 1.8 bar idle, 3 bar at 3000 and 3.5 bar at 6000. these bar figures are only rough estimates off the top of my head.

Well i went out tonight and after 5 minutes my car died.....

basically engine made a horrible nocking and vibrating noise and seized up....

tentatively tried restarting and very bad vibrations. I think its fcuked....

dunno which way to go... rebuild or new engine...... gonna take it to racepace

If you have lost oil pressure it will most likely be caused by your main bearings failing.

The vibrations will be the crank whipping which in turn will cause the crank to crack. The Block should be fine but now is the time you need to ask yourself what you want outta your car. Do you want to keep it? Do you want to do it up? How far do you want to go with doing it up? if you have lost oil pressure and driven for a while you could have damaged the bearings in the turbo also. Your cheapest option is a different standard engine and just drop it in. A rebuild done properly will cost you three times as much. But that's when it comes down to yuor answers to the previous questions. If you wanna keep the car for a while you would be best to rebuild. If you are gonna sell it, just drop in the other engine.

You won't know the extent of the damage without completely pulling down the engine and that will cost money if you don't know how to do it yourself. How much money do you wanna spend. If it's just a second hand engine...prolly about 2 grand all up. Complete rebuild including turbo starts from around the 4 grand mark but in the end it will all come down to how much damage has been done.

no not 2k for engine... its a gtr.

anyway, i had forgot to reconnect the afm prior to driving... i reconnected it within 2 mins of driving. 3 minutes later it seized up....

a friend of mine explained it could be sparks fouled as it would then run on less cylinders and hence the vibrations.... gonna check the sparks tomorrow and change and see how it goes....

fingers crossed... i got a feeling all will be good

BTW, i tried checking the sparks today but my toolkit didnt have the appropriate sized ratchet head.... anyone know wat size it is (metric or imperical).

it will be a 5/8 deep socket

or a small head spark plug socket (same thing)

those things you mentioned are all possibilities so good luck. I hope your engine is ok.

They will be platinum plugs so check the tips of the plug to make sure they haven't worn down. They should be fairly pointy on the end. Assuming they are platinum still in there.

I replaced the sparks and...... got a heavy knocking sound and some vibrations... probably bottom end :D

got it booked for racepace for rebuild next week.....

just wondering, i am getting hks cam gears for the car, but what are cam sprockets?

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/products/engine.../campulley.html

bottom... cam sprockets... worth getting and wat do they do?

As for rebuild, i intend on getting forged pistons and conrods if they are not too pricey, but is there anything else i should get while the engine is out?

i will try and retain standard head if there is no damage (do cams and valve springs at a later date, also turbos i will leave if ok)

will get oil catch can, should i get a new oil pump?

anything to do now while the engine is out.....