SAU Community

Dump Pipe ?

Binky1970

as r31nismo says - it all depends on if you are getting a direct swap turbo, if deffo are, then do it now, if you are not sure, then wait ....

i did mine b4 i got a turbo, but had already decided on getting a gcg high flow unit, so no big deal ... could deffo notice faster spool up, and the run off would just go on for ages ..

if you aren't going to use a wastegate that dumps to air, then get a twin dump pipe made - it makes quite a large difference - we tested about 600rpm earlier for boost, and 20-30horsepower across the board (over stock rb20det dump pipe).

twin dump pipes have a main pipe, and a second one coming out of the wastegate part of your turbo, then rejoin lower down - in my case, just before the cat.

but yes - if you are going a bigger flanged turbo, you dont want to get a $500 custom dump pipe made, then need it remade because its hte wrong flange.

but yes you will get big gains - as with anything done ... right:)

Ive got a similar problem,

im just worried about the wastegate seperator plate on the dump pipe, as im getting my turbo highflowed by GCG and they increase the wastegate diameter by a few cm

i just decided to wait till the turbo is done

I had my turbo high flowed by GCG and fitted a CES split dump pipe and had no problems fitting the splitter. The splitter needed to be trial fitted and filed down a few times to get the splitter to just seat at the base of the exhaust housing. Plastercine is good for just getting the fitting correct.

I had my turbo high flowed by GCG and fitted a CES split dump pipe and had no problems fitting the splitter. The splitter needed to be trial fitted and filed down a few times to get the splitter to just seat at the base of the exhaust housing. Plastercine is good for just getting the fitting correct.

Awesome thats exacly what i meant, im even using same equipment (ces dump and gcg highflow)

what do you mean filed down though? as in made thinner? this isnt a good idea if thats the case, ive seen modified splitters fall off

what did CES say?

and how does the ces split dump with gcg highflow go at 1bar? nice i bet :D

You need to file down to the exact length, the end of the splitter so that when you bolt the dump pipe up to the turbo with the gasget in place, the end of the splitter is not too long and strike the turbo before the bolts are done up tightly. Thats what you use the plastercine for. Your not making the splitter thinner or weaker, your just filling it down to the correct length...CES make them so that they can be filed back to the correct length.

You need to file down to the exact length, the end of the splitter so that when you bolt the dump pipe up to the turbo with the gasget in place, the end of the splitter is not too long and strike the turbo before the bolts are done up tightly. Thats what you use the plastercine for. Your not making the splitter thinner or weaker, your just filling it down to the correct length...CES make them so that they can be filed back to the correct length.

Ok, i dont know if we're talking about the same thing then

What i mean is,

The CES dump for the standard RB25 turbo has the splitter following the outside of the wastegate hole, but when getting the turbo highflowed, this hole is bored to a larger size (2cm if i remember correctly) Meaning that the splitter, even if filed back, will still not be getting all the wastegate gasses because the wastegate hole is now past the splitter itself.

I know what you are saying but i'm certain that the curved splitter on the CES dump pipe remains in the metal between the wastegate and the exhaust. I know when we trial fitted my CES dump with the Hi Flow turbo the splitter was in the correct location. It is only the tip on the end of the splitter that has to be filed back. The part that will make contact inside the recess for the wastegate and exhaust.. The reason i know that the splitter is not slipping inside the wastgate hole is that it was leaving an imprint in the plastercine that i was using to gauge when the tip had been filed back enough for it not to bottom out when the bolts holding the turbo and dump were able to be tightened. Its a great dump and the improvement is measurable. Its also a little louder than a ordinary aftermarked 3" dump.

I know what you are saying but i'm certain that the curved splitter on the CES dump pipe remains in the metal between the wastegate and the exhaust. I know when we trial fitted my CES dump with the Hi Flow turbo the splitter was in the correct location. It is only the tip on the end of the splitter that has to be filed back. The part that will make contact inside the recess for the wastegate and exhaust.. The reason i know that the splitter is not slipping inside the wastgate hole is that it was leaving an imprint in the plastercine that i was using to gauge when the tip had been filed back enough for it not to bottom out when the bolts holding the turbo and dump were able to be tightened. Its a great dump and the improvement is measurable. Its also a little louder than a ordinary aftermarked 3" dump.

ok cool,

but you didnt answer my question... How does it run with the gcg highflow at 1bar? :burnout:

ok cool,  

but you didnt answer my question... How does it run with the gcg highflow at 1bar? :burnout:

Sorry, I think we are running about 18lbs Boost, C@V couldnt get any more out of the Hi FLow and with Power FC, HKS Step1 Cams, CES Dump, 555 Nismo Injectors, GTR Front Mount Int, GTR Fuel Pump, Sard FPR and the usual aftermarket panel filter, it was making 250kw@the rw. I paid around $2100 for the GCG Turbo with new HKS actuator. It goes quite hard and will be competing at most of the NSW Hillclimb and Supersprints this year.