SAU Community

HELP ****ed Radiator

MFC05

no its wen i thrash the car for a fit the temp goes up i dont think the radiator is flowing correctly ???

Any1 here here taken their cars to Aspely drift & Drag in kendron.. if so wat did u thought ????

Similiar to what happened to my sisters VL after the flush.

Only difference was before the flush it wasn't overheating, after it was. :cheers:

I pulled the radiator out and when reverse flushing with compressed air and water I had what felt like bark chip covering my hand. It was massive bits of scale that had blocked the core. :(

That may be the case. It might not be the head but how pissed would you be if you spent all that money doing all this other 5hit and then find out it was coz a fake mechanic couldn't do a simple test.

How does he know it's not. Has he got Xray vision or something. A dye test will pick up the smallest leak that won't even cause your car to overheat.

Well anyway, I'm done with the advise. If you choose to ignore it, that's your choice. Like I said before, it may not be the head. I hope it isn't. I hope it's something simple to fix because I have gone through all of it hundreds of times. I just believe that it is best to cover all bases so that you rule out all possibilities. To say that it is not a particular problem without performing the tests to prove it is just foolish. I really hope they do the right thing by you.

ive just got the radiator flushed and cleaned out and everything was sweet until now....the head is gone how much would i be lookin at for a completley new head for a RB20det ADD racing qouted me aroun $1200

Well i like to say 3LIT3 FORS3 WAS right.... and i should of done he sed...!!

it was a blown head in my engine !!! ****en bullshit !!!!!!!!!

so now i got a quote from ADD racing to get it done for 1200

wat do u guys reckon of that price??? any places in brisbane that will do it cheaper ???

and what does it inovole wen changing a new head ?????? pullin the engine out ???

Shop around the forums and you will be able to find heads for between $100-250. Between your existing buggered head and the new 2nd hand jobbie you will get the thing running again. 10rs labour i guess so should get change from $800

You would get change from $800 if you did it yourself. Plus without knowing the condition of the head it is impossible to give an accurate quote as if the head is bent it will cost $600 to get a full head service and straightened. Now I'm sure even if you got the $450 VRS set for free, you would still not get away with $800.

Worst case scenario is:

Full head service $600

VRS $450 (assuming you can buy the VRS seperate from the full kit which is $600)

Labour - 9 hrs - $500

Oil and filter change - $50

Coolant - $30

Timing Belt - $80

Plus you have to account for broken exhaust studs, hylomar spray and any vacuum lines or hose clamps that may break while doing the job.

Total worst case scenario is: $1730 approx

If you can get a second hand head that is already straight or the head you have is still straight, the price would then drop to $1250 plus the cost of the second hand head if so required.

If you do it yourself you would save the $500 labour so then it would drop to $750 for a straight head and $1230 for a bent one.