SAU Community

0-100 times R33 vs Ford typhoon and V8s etc

I saw in a motor mag today the Typhoon is only 6.4 sec to the 100km/h.

I thought a standard R33 should do low 6s. So off the lights or drag on the 1/4 mile the skyline should hold it?

I got done by a newish V8 commo ute on a private rd. I just let out the clutch and floored it.The V8 looked a little hot, Maybe just an SS though, manual. The ute was pulling quite hard. With the turbos you have to get the revs up off the line a bit right? Looked like he didn't really get an awesome start either. You could see the V8 had more power. Though maybe if got a good start could have stayed with him.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I have read, the R33 GTST (I assume you are not talking about the GTR), does 0-100 in 6.2 and 1/4 in 14.37 (from memory). Not sure if these figures are accurate. I sure don't feel as though my car does 0-100 in 6 something (only mods being cat back exhaust and pod filter).

I think you would have to have a few mods to beat the current v8 Holdens and Fords. Don't get me wrong, I'm not fond of these cars, in fact I would never buy one. It's just that they have that much torque that to keep up off the line you really have to give it a bootfull. Maybe I need to get some mods and then i would feel differently.

my car only has cat back and running the 7psi sloenoid open all the time. But yeah I reckon the extra power and torque once they are underway can be seen. Off the line I just let out the clutch and floored it but to be a chance I would have had to drop it a bit. We were both equal to about 20km/h then he started to pull a bit probably about a car length to 100kays I reckon. I have a dump pipe ready to go on, hopefully that will help but yeah the v8s have a bit of power these days.

Maybe I should get over it. ...

I am kind of bitter about how easily the Holden's and Ford's pull these days. I am tempted just to get a charade, save on fuel and forget acceleration and handling.

Maybe I should get over it too and just enjoy my car for what it is.

my car only has cat back and running the 7psi sloenoid open all the time. But yeah I reckon the extra power and torque once they are underway can be seen. Off the line I just let out the clutch and floored it but to be a chance I would have had to drop it a bit. We were both equal to about 20km/h then he started to pull a bit probably about a car length to 100kays I reckon. I have a dump pipe ready to go on, hopefully that will help but yeah the v8s have a bit of power these days.

Maybe I should get over it. ...[/quote

did you knwo that a v8 need only spend about 3grand to make his engine chop any gtst and some gtrs. like i said not to be underestimated

your kidding me!!! 250 rwkw and finding it hard to pull away. I thought with 250 you would easily do it.

there goes my plan (one of many) to add say $2k's worth of mods to get up to speed. I would need to spend $5-10k to get 250 rwkw wouldn't I?????!!!!

I once under estiamted the v8's. when my friend gave me a ride in his dad's clubbie. it was the one with the 5l motor with 195kw @ fly@. This was back in 2000. Then a year or two later his dad bought a Gen III holden with 225kw and I thought it was pretty quick. Just pulled from 1,500 revs. Something I wasn't used to. I respect them, just don't like them.

You also have to know the initial cost of a late model V8 as well. For a VU SS ute your still looking for about $30k anyway. I don't think an old Falcon EB XR8 with a few mods could blitz a Skyline GTS-T & GTR.

i was in a gen III taxi last weekend and the taxi driver sure did give it some. I was suprised at how hard it pulled with 4 people in the car and it was auto. It felt faster than the 6pd gen III an uncle of mine used to own.

maybe it felt faster coz i was a little intoxicated at the time.

my car only has cat back and running the 7psi sloenoid open all the time. But yeah I reckon the extra power and torque once they are underway can be seen. Off the line I just let out the clutch and floored it but to be a chance I would have had to drop it a bit. We were both equal to about 20km/h then he started to pull a bit probably about a car length to 100kays I reckon. I have a dump pipe ready to go on' date=' hopefully that will help but yeah the v8s have a bit of power these days.

Maybe I should get over it. ...[/quote

did you knwo that a v8 need only spend about 3grand to make his engine chop any gtst and some gtrs. like i said not to be underestimated[/quote']

Hey mate. you should get that 5.7 pumping pretty easily.

You do know that you can cheaply get that motor to what it was designed to do don't you? 300kw

The only difference between the SS and the GTS engine is the extractors and exhaust, throttle body + intake, and flash reprogram from holden on the ECU.

Boom 300 kw.

I reckon you'd chop most cars with that.

Well, that was my 2 cents.

my stock auto sedan is 7.2 seconds to 100km , you manual coupes should see 6s easily .

its all about the launch , you really need to exploit the weight differential on the initial launch to have a chance . with that in mind my previous mildly tune s15 was more than competent agaisnt the later v8s and the earlier ones were no problems at all .

if ur really concerned get a gtr now cheap b4 they change the laws spend a few thousand and never worry again

i got 250rwkw and i find it hard to pulll away from V8 utes... they are just soo light lol

I dont think they are that light, my dads xr6 turbo ute weighs in at about 1700 kgs. I keep up to him in my 33 quite easily but then its not a v8.

i got 250rwkw and i find it hard to pulll away from V8 utes... they are just soo light lol

You're either racing some modded utes with a fair bit of power or you can't drive. In my 140rwkw S13 I can beat GENIII SS's. In the next month or two I'll have about 220kw and I'll be slaughtering them! :headspin:

You're either racing some modded utes with a fair bit of power or you can't drive.   In my 140rwkw S13 I can beat GENIII SS's.   In the next month or two I'll have about 220kw and I'll be slaughtering them! :headspin:

hehe... I think you'll find krzysiu is being sarcastic..

You also have to know the initial cost of a late model V8 as well. For a VU SS ute your still looking for about $30k anyway. I don't think an old Falcon EB XR8 with a few mods could blitz a Skyline GTS-T & GTR.

Thats right, Just remember your comparing the r33 built roughly 93-98 (dont quote me). If you compare to the holden ford v8 of equivalent time period the im pretty sure the GTSTs and GTRs should have it on them (in stock form).

hmmm my R33 had the cams, exhaust and pod filter done to my car in terms of engine and i've had the wheels, heavy duty clutch and suspension upgraded and i haven't lost to an SS anything yet. all in the car already when i bought for 20K

i haven't got that good a gear change down the qrt but still pull 13.57 so wonder what a good driver could do in mine. I have lost to a couple very beefy HSVs, one was a 401kw GTS.

I've smoked a XR6 turbo aswell and wheels mag says that only does 14.2 down the qrt.

but yeah traction is the main thing on a street drag, but you are lanuching your car near its power range aren't you????