SAU Community

0-100 times R33 vs Ford typhoon and V8s etc

Actually you'd be suprised.. the sr20det puts out about 150-160kw at the fly.. so I'm assuming hypnotik's talking rwkw, or doesnt actually know how much his s13 puts out.. (i'm assuming its an sr20det, if its a ca18det, then yes he probably is dreaming...)

Yes, I'm talking about rwkw's, and yes, it's a SR20det. It surprises a lot of bogans in their V8 Commy's and Falcoon's.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a S2 R33 GTS25t with K&N panel, HKS Dump/Front/Super Drager Cat-back, Hybrid copy FMIC and 10PSI on the stock Turb. This gives 160-170 RWKW depending on the air temp. I have had a couple of "private Road" drags with a guy at work in his SS Ute Gen III 6spd has had extractors and exhaust done. Very even, it really comes down to who gets the better start and keeps the treads hooked up.

They may be a dinosaur POS but some of them are quite quick.

But they're still a POS.

when i sit here and read this people in r33, 32, silvia's and other older (well they are now) cars its a wonder that they can keep up and even come out on top considering the commo's everybody here refers to are the newer ss models and clubbies...and each newer models is always faster and more powerful

just reinforces the fact that the japanese sure knew how to make a car so it is still up with the 'best' now

You also have to know the initial cost of a late model V8 as well. For a VU SS ute your still looking for about $30k anyway. I don't think an old Falcon EB XR8 with a few mods could blitz a Skyline GTS-T & GTR.

i own an eb fairmont with the 5L and shift kitted 4 speed auto, and i only loose to a gtst 33 runnin 12psi by about 3 lengths. if i had some 4:11 diff gears instead of 3:1 id probably keep up no worries. and i know of a STOCK vu ss that whoops 33 easy. dunno maybe its the air here or something.

well tahts straqnge cause the other day i had a wanker in a commo use . mind u Gen 3 SS so i found out, being a tosser up the inside lane at the lights, so waited for red, floored it, and he had to brake hard or hit the gutter... i guess in all he learnt his lesson cause for the rest of the 25 mins or so, he stayed well clear of teh accelerator and me at the same time :P

nah its a gtst

Just wondering how much the mods you did(all the mods in the avatar?) to get it to sub 5 for 0-100km/hr, cost? eg buy car for 15K and spent 8K in mods?

If that's private or who did the mods is private etc. that's ok, but if it's not private could you please post how much it cost?

whether a ford or holden is faster than a skyline is irrelevant to me, I have a healthy respect for them. What it boils down to (for me anyway) is that I love my 'line like I have never loved any of my previous cars. Its the looks, the sheer passion of driving her, not to mention that sweet sexy whine of the turbo (mine sounds like a deep wolf whistle) and also the reactions I get from friends and strangers. That probably sounds kinda mushy, but owning a r33gtst for nearly 2 yrs has had a profound effect on me......I love my skyline.....for better or worse...hehehe

• 4 weeks later...

hey sorry havent seen this therad for a while

yeah ive managed 4.88 0 to 100 in my r33

it falls in line with my previous 0 to 100km/h times as well

that 172rwkw was in non shootout mode on a 35deg day

so shootout mode most likely around 200rwkw

my previous 0 to 100's are

4.88 myself with powerfc, exhaust, fmic, boost controller at 0.85bar

5.55 myself with stock ecu, exhaust, fmic, stock boost solenoid at 7psi

5.70 friend with pod filter and 142rwkw, stock boost solenoid at 7psi

5.98 myself when i first got car with pod filter

6.72 powerfc, pod, exhaust, fmic, 0.85bar, massive wheelspin and cluch slip,no traction all the way through first

the last 6.72 has been the worst ive ever recorded. i can get a photo of the rsm top 5 0to100km/h times if you guys like. ive never had tyres less then 255's on the rear and never get massive wheelspin. usually rev to about 1600rpm then cluthc out and floor it at the same time, wheni got 4.88 i had a prefect take off

im suprised with krzsiu's times as he as at least 50rwkw more than me but he has stock ecu, whereas i have powerfc, and his turbo could be a tiny bit laggier than mine, i w9ould like to see his when he gets a powerfc what times he can pull

my current biggest killer is the pod in the engine bay. im got a cold air box here ready to go on and just need to fix and sheild up proplerly, i dont expect it will make a massive difference to the 0 to 100 times however it should drop some of the knock im seeing, i was getting high knock on the way home tonight, was fairly cool but would have been roasting under engine bay. under fulll load in 5th @ 70km/h full throttle open within about 2seconds of full load, knock would climb and powerfc would flash excess knock

You gotta love the current line of V8s though. Stuffing 6.0 litres of 297kw GENIV V8 into what's basically a taxi is just pure gold IMO. Those engines were designed for a corvette for pete's sake!

Nah but seriously, I've heard of GENIII V8 Commodores running mid twelves on just headers, exhaust, chip flash and mild cam upgrade. With 5.7 litres you dont need to be very highly tuned to get moving faaaaast!

Hey peeps

Holden V8's are great engines..or should i say the GM 5.7L V8 is.

i own a R32 GTR and i have raced my company Monaro which has full dual 3" exhast system with highflow cat extractors induction mods and a chipped ECU (auto)

i am running stock boost with boost restictior in..just catback Zorst Pods and High flow cat.

i ran 3times with the monaro.

0-100km/h i wont by 1.5car lengths

60-150 i won by 1 car length.

second run i won by 1.5 car length..

i never had any problems with anysort of V8 while i was driving.

or even the New XR6T typhon or sumthing...

they are great fast cars i love driving the monaro..

it pulls so hard...but in a very different way compared to my SKY

anywayz bottom line is they are good cars too.but too heavy

but i do have respect for them as i have seen sum V8's munch up poor R33 GTS-T's which were quite modded

hi guys

ok im gonna go out on a limb and put down what ive noticed. ive got a pdf which is the gtr n1 r34 vs hvs gts300, the 300kw v8 5.7litre 6 speed yellow monaro basically. ok in the pdf it covers torque vs 1/4mile vs 0to100 vs weight and power etc.. they cover basically everything. anyway long story short the bnr34 kills the gts300 by 2seconds on the 1/4 mile and 1.5 seconds on the 0to100 and the gts300 has more torque (only a tiny bit). anyway what ive noticed is a stocker commo v8 5.7 litre or whatever 5litre usually has around 240rwkw or there abouts maybe a tiny bit less a skyline gtst with 160rwkw will beat the v8 in both 0to100 and 1/4 mile. the v8 will most likely and i have no doubts it wont have more torque. the turbo accel curve is much more aggressive and fun than the v8s curve as an example

my car vs hsv gts300

opponent

gts300

300kw at fly wheel

6 speed

probably around 1500kg ?

5.7 litre v8 big brakes, fiarly good cold air intake usual stuff

my car

rb25det skyline

200kw at the flywheel

5 speed

2.5 turbo mid sized brakes, pod filter, some more boost (7psi)

1400kg ish ?

the gts300 manages 0 to 100 in 5.8 or 5.7

when my skyline was fairly stocker with stock zorst, cooler, ecu it was getting 0 to 100 in 5.7 with 255s on the rear.

the winner in that case comparing raw 0 to 100 and 1/4 was my car

i guess the reasoning is that the turbo curve is more aggressive

sure it has turbo lag but once on boost it burns more air and makes more power

the v8 on the other hand has a linear curve and sure it makes lots of torque but doesnt appear to suck in as much air and make as much power

its a known turbo vs v8 myth among racers that a turbo can beat twice its capicity in v8 land so a 2.5 can surely beat a 5.x litre engine.

my thoughts

i mean either my car is running a good config with some fairly good takeoffs

or the apexi rsm is on crack and the figures arent accurate at all (possible)

heres some quotes from the article

remember the gts300 is a rwd and gtr n1 is awd attessa

"The optimistic 320kmh nismo speedo is reading over 200 when porter waves his imaginary chequered flag. Results? 0 to 100 in 5.0 and 13.1 1/4 mile at 176kmh

No complaints. But the Correvit shuts down at 180 (speed limiter kicks in) and the GTR is dangeroulsly close. Porter (driver) raises the limit to 250km/h. Quick cool down. then anothe run. A six grand step off sees 0 to 100lmh in 4.6 and a 12.8 standing quarter. But there has to be more. A seven grang launch sees the GTR explode from the blocks, no diff shunt, no stinky clutch just deceptive smoothness. First gear is over before anyone can cry freedom. Into second the GTR breaks traction slightly and keeps boosting hard. When the flag falls its clocking an indicated - and easy 217kmh. Thank christ were not at Oran park or we'd be wearing concrete smiles. Porter calls the numbers 4.4 0 to 100km/h and 12.7 and 178kmh for 1/4 mile."

"Next the HSV GTS Coupe. HSV wildy claim 13.3 for 1/4 for the standing 400. Wheels has never cracked 14. Not in the sedan at least with two personal ballast plus timing gear. The GTS coupe is around 40kg lighter than the VX GTS sedan but that doesnt make launching it any easier. Traction contorl engaged, the GTS bogs down. Too quick off clutch or feed in a smidgeon too much thorttle the GTS bogs em up. Once youve breached the grip threshold. The GTS will hold blaziing powerslides until the sires are blazing. But on calders drag strip the GTS is playing Joan COllines during a bitch fitch over pre-nup. Still the final run is a goody. Hovering the throllte around 4000rpm easing the clutch out and caressing the accerelator until shes rolling sees 5.8 0 to 100km and 13.9. THe GTS reads almost 190kmh/ when I call for the brakes and it feels strong. The GTR has the gforce thing happening but the GTS isnt blushing. The 300kw v8 sounds glorious when extended. And the GTS looks cool to chirping rubber 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 change points while squatting like a Rottweiler on a neighbours lawns."

One nations cultural icon versus another. A balging V8 anxious ridicule over hyped turbo terror. Hang on this had been attemped before. 10 years and nine months ago to be exact. Nissan r32 gtr versus vn SS group a. Fundamentally the status quo hasnts changed. Its that age old argument surfacing again - "size matters". Size doesnt matter, quality versuses quantity mines bigger than yours. But its the way you wield it that counts, Isnt it?

I find skylines a bit disappointing at times when you want to go for a lazy drive. Especially when there's hills about.

Makes you wonder what it would have been like if say instead of 2-2.5 litre engines with the 32 & 33's they sold a gtst30!

Go for a easy drive in a '33 manual and take off from the lights next to a v6 commodore.

If you want to keep up you're forever revving to 4 grand through the gears.

Low down torque is so good.