SAU Community

Faq: Apexi Powerfc - Frequently Asked Questions

paulr33

there is one on here atm for $470 i think, with the data logit you also need a laptop to monitor anything, if your not going to tune it your self then you would be better off getting the hand contoller, will tell you what you need to know with out needing a lap top.

I ordered mine new from Fc datalogit yesterday for 460AUD. :P A few months ago it was 600AUD.

Edited by Alf

Spent some time reading this thread and have been keeping abreast of the PFC Guide for some years now, but still can't work out the following:

How can I monitor boost pressure via a D-Jetro PFC? The D-Jetro MAP sensors use the same port that would normally be used for the Boost Control Kit I believe?

yes it does, but it only uses the same port for copgyback power and ground signal

the djetro map sensors splice into the AFM wires, but use the boost control kit loom to steal power and ground for each map sensor

so the signal wire on the boost control loom is unused, this is where the map sensor signal for the boost sensor goes

i havent heard of someone copgybacking the djetro map sensors into the boost control kit port signal wire, be careful with this one, it might go bang

yes it does, but it only uses the same port for copgyback power and ground signal

the djetro map sensors splice into the AFM wires, but use the boost control kit loom to steal power and ground for each map sensor

so the signal wire on the boost control loom is unused, this is where the map sensor signal for the boost sensor goes

i havent heard of someone copgybacking the djetro map sensors into the boost control kit port signal wire, be careful with this one, it might go bang

Thanks for the reply.

After reading it a few times and checking my connections and the port outputs I see what you mean. I'll be giving this a go in a month or so and will report back on how it works out.

"One AFM:

If you are using one airflow meter you can simply parrallel up the airflow meter signal into the second input on the RB26 ecu. The ECU will average out both signals despite it coming from the same airflow meter to work out engine load (or airflow load). "

This is not true. It adds, not averages. For a car to run an RB26 pfc on say and rb30 with a single AFM. The corresponding AF curve figures all must be halved. Or you can reduce the AF correction voltages to 50% but I would rather represent what air is actually entering the motor.

First attempted start on with the pfc d jetro after the single turbo conversion on the gtr and It starts but stalls immediatly,correct injector info was entered,when I give it gas it stays on but stuggles.I've raised the fuel pressure regulator and it made it a little better but it still stalls within 5 seconds or less after startup.Anybody know the problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Just put in a z32 before I take it to get tuned it idles fine just a quesiton in the faq it says about adjusting the AJR vaule in the IGN/INJ settings until you see abit of black smoke I have put the vaule up to about 1.040 but I still do not see any smoke does any know of roughly how much higher the AJR vaule has to so I can have a guide to how high I have to go the get black smoke.

Just put in a z32 before I take it to get tuned it idles fine just a quesiton in the faq it says about adjusting the AJR vaule in the IGN/INJ settings until you see abit of black smoke I have put the vaule up to about 1.040 but I still do not see any smoke does any know of roughly how much higher the AJR vaule has to so I can have a guide to how high I have to go the get black smoke.

I know it can go 1.250

I have a Q for the datalogit gurus.

What do the load numbers in the water temp correction refer to? -see pic

post-12979-1258824563_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alf

its fuel correction - they are Low and High load, its covered in the Powerfc hand controller documentation

Is the RB25 documentation available in english? Only one I can find is the 13B that does not cover everything for an RB25

great stuff guys. I read this thing about 3 times so far..

currently got my power fc and datalogit up and running on my pretty stock setup. Just learning the ropes. Will not dive into it until I install my new turbo setup.

Thank you for the support.

ps

I paid for the datalogic member subscription and provided all my info. I have not gotten and email back from the datalogit team... is this normal?

Ok I've been doing a bit of reading regarding the Power FC Pro in the last hour as I possibly can get my hands on a second hand one (including controller)... It's for the 98.6~ RPS13 (180sx Type X).

Now there's a bit of concern going around as to whether ones people have received are legit Pro or not... Only way to tell is to turn on the PFC and check the start up to see if the text reads PRO (e.g. SR20DET1PRO or similar), or open the ecu and see if there's a sticker on the NEC chip with the word PRO on it...

As the guy is from Sydney and I'm in Melb, I can't do those things...

I'm hoping to clear a few queries I have:

1. Is there certain serial numbers for the PRO to tell them apart from other PFC versions? (for both ecu and hand controller)

2. Does the hand controller have to be a Pro version to suit the Pro ecu or all hand controllers can be used with all versions of the ecu as long as they are in the same generation?

3. Do the boxes and manual of the Pro differ to the standard Ljetro version (normal version)? I ask cos I have the standard PFC and would like to keep the boxes and manual for referencing the Pro, but if they do differ I'll include them in the sale of the normal when I sell it to get the Pro happy.gif

Thanks in advance!!!

Cheers,

Andy

this is covered in the FAQ and was recently updated, you should check it

if the PFC case has a silver shiny FC Pro~~~ sticker on the side of the ECU case, this does NOT mean its an FC Pro unit, its just the software designation

so the only legit was is to check via what the hand controller displays, or as Madaz said, check the box packaging

Hmmm sorry for my extremely late response, but I've only just started to research the legit Power FC Pro Spec (Drag) versions again lol...

Now I've been doing a lot of reading, including and cross checking between your Apexi PowerFC FAQ site, www.gtr.co.uk, Apexi Japan site, and Nengun site...

Let's take the BNR32/BCNR33 RB26DETT '89.9~'98.12 as an example, in the Apexi site the details for the Power FC has three different versions...

1. Part Number: 414-N001 / Serial: RB26 / Hand Controller: FCC NT

2. Part Number: 414-N011 / Serial: GTR33 / Hand Controller: FCC FN or FCC3

3. Part Number: 414-N029 / Serial: GTR33 / Hand Controller: FCC FN or FCC3

Now according to Nengun (although they state they are discontinued) they still show the Part Number for the different Power FC Versions

1. 414-N001 Nissan Skyline BNR32, BCNR33 RB26DETT (H/C 415-N001 Included) = Power FC Pro Spec (Drag) http://www.nengun.com/apexi/power-fc-hand-...roller-pro-spec

2. 414-N011 Not listed

3. 414-AN029 Nissan - Skyline - BNR32/BCNR33 = Standard (LJetro) http://www.nengun.com/apexi/power-fc-hand-controller

So what I've concluded the 1. Part Number: 414-N001 / Serial: RB26 / Hand Controller: FCC NT should be the Power FC Pro Spec version.

A few things that has confused me though are things I've read from www.gtr.co.uk and your Apexi PowerFC FAQ site.

Your three pictures here that help identify the legitimacy of the Pro Spec version confused me a bit. Mainly refering to your last picture that shows the Serial PFC RB26 9607 - 0298. The RB26 matches the aforementioned in Nengun, so I pretty much concluded that yes it's a Pro Spec version.

But having said that after digging some more, I found your What does the "FC Pro" sticker mean? Why is it there? which was the part that confused me. You've stated that the FC Pro sticker version is built from 05/1996 till 1997. But the above section with the picture showing the Serial PFC RB26 9607 - 0298 was said to be the Pro Spec version but built in 07/1996?

Confusing things even further, in http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/90349-power-fc-...ation-help.html the thread creator shows a picture with Serial PFC RB26 9605 - 0133, he said that his isn't a Pro Spec version. The build date 05/1996 matches your theory, but what about the RB26? I did also see you post up that some Pro Spec versions have been flashed to become standard... But yeah, still very shady!

I have a feeling all my dribbling won't make much sense to most that hasn't looked into this as much as I have, but yeah...

Only things I can conclude are:

- The Power FC's with Serial RB26 were all in fact Pro Spec versions, but many were flashed to standard?

- They weren't labelled correctly?

- ???

I'm actually looking at getting the RPS13 SR20DET '96.8~'98.12 Power FC - (Apexi Japan site - Part Number: 414-N006 / Serial: SR204). According to Nengun this 414-N006 version is the Pro Spec (for Drag use) version. I've already got the standard (LJetro) version being (Apexi Japan site - Part Number: 414-N017 / Serial: SR2017).

The guy I'm buying it from has confirmed that the Serial is SR204, but doesn't have the controller to check in ETC, VERSION... Only thing I could do is get him to open to see if it has a sticker stating something like SR20PRO or similar, but if it's been flashed then the sticker will mean shit right?

What can I do from here? Buy it and hope for the best?

Sorry for the looooooooooonnnnnggggggggg post!!!

Cheers,

Andy

I have a feeling that some of the info about the Power FC Pro Spec version in Paul's site is a little off maybe and a little conflicting too...

Or possibly I've not interpreted correctly :)

For example, I didn't get this http://paulr33.skylinesaustralia.com/docs/...erfc-faq.htm#42. It's showing a few examples of different versions of Power FC's... Now particularily the last one:

This is inside a Skyline GTR RB26 PowerFC Pro

Note: The expansion chip (like the rb20 ap eng) and the alternate main ecu

TN_Inside_PFC.JPG TN_Inside_PFC_5.JPG

Please note: The "FC Pro" sticker does NOT mean this is a PowerFC Pro unit.

This means the unit can be connected to Apexi's Power Excel software. See - What does the "FC Pro" sticker mean? Why is it there?

Does "This is inside a Skyline GTR RB26 PowerFC Pro" mean:

a. it's a Power FC Pro Spec version showing the inside, but Paul is making a point in the please note part stating that the "FC Pro" sticker has nothing to do it being a Power FC Pro Spec version?

b. it's only a FC Pro and the unit can be connected to Apexi's Power Excel software?

Maybe a suggestion for Paul to update the wording in the site to clearly be able to distinguish which is which when being discussed...

Power FC Pro Spec = Pro Spec version (i.e. Drag use only - launch control and ignition cut)

Power FC Commander Pro = FC Pro sticker (i.e. shitty version with only one addition to have the provision to be connected to Apexi's Power Excel software)

Anyhoo... I was able to get a picture of the inside of the RPS13 SR20DET '96.8~'98.12 Power FC (Part Number: 414-N006 / Serial: SR204) I am hoping to get...

pfcsr204.th.jpg

The sticker in this picture has a very similar sticker to the picture in the quote I've taken from Paul's example...

Can anyone confirm if it's a Pro Spec version or not?

Thanks in advance!!!

Cheers,

Andy

Edit: Fkn sucks that there is no customer queries email address for Apexi... Not that I can find anyway!!! Would be good to email Apexi with a serial number to get clarification from Apexi. Wtf is there email address... GRRRRR

Edited by AnDyStYLe

i will update the FAQ to refer the wording a bit better

the one in the picture is a normal RB26 PowerFC

at the start, we all thought it was a legit Power FC Pro Unit due to the sticker, but alas, its a normal version

the only legit power FC Pro model we have seen is

http://paulr33.skylinesaustralia.com/docs/...C%20PRO%202.jpg

you can see from the chip the string version contains FCPRO in the string

this would be present on the hand controller when you do ETC, VERSION as well