SAU Community

Hey all,

The gtr is going in for a 100k service pretty soon, and they said they have to pull the whole front end of the car off....to get at timing belts etc.

Now if this were to happen....would it be easier installing things like HKS Adjustable Cam Gears (cheaper labour?).....instaed of having to do it later on? and are they a worth while add on?

Will I get more driveability as well as power?

anyone?

As yourself two questions.

What is the current valve timing of your engine.

What is wrong with it, and why will changing it improve anything.

If you have a definite plan, fair enough. But just making something adjustable is not going to create a miracle.

If you are doing it to dress up the engine, fair enough. They are a good loking piece of gear.

I just ask because I've read in a few magazines that they create more off boost power....and make the car more driveable on the street (more torque) and are a good piece of gear...and on some cars making another 20rwkw if they are set up properly

and yes I rekon they look pretty sweet in the engine bay :cool:

Apparrantly you can adjust the timeing for more power up top or more torque lower down and boosting the torque is going to make it more driveable....and quicker. And , yes if the timeing cover is comming off that would be a good time to add it or them

What is the current valve timing of your engine.  

What is wrong with it, and why will changing it improve anything

On any GTR the timing is not optimised for max power or even power or boost to be created early. And when theres been some light modifications like increasing boost etc theres even more potential. It's a proven result that vernier timing gears have given good results if tuned properly. There are dyno sheets to prove these and I'm sure many ppl on this forum have got good results. With twin cam engines you can alter the exhaust cam and the intake seperately. Most GTR's end up advancing the intake and retarding the exhaust.

Of course the potential is only as good as it is tuned.

Heres a dyno sheet of Mario's R34:

http://www.exvitermini.com/pics/r34236d.jpg

Note at the bottom the car made 10kw more @ the wheels even with a powerFC and AVCR and boost came on 800rpm earlier. The only downside I know of is a slightly lumpier idle.

Actually that makes a lot of sense. Especially retarding the exhaust cam. But as I said earlier you need a plan.

You also need to spend money on tuning to get it right. There seems to be the mistaken impression around, that merely fitting adjustable cam gears will automatically make more power.

what are your current mods?

if you're getting a whole lot of other work done I'd say jsut do it. It's prob gonna take a few dyno runs... maybe 5 or so... so maybe $200-$300 worth of tuning.... if you're getting other work done by them then maybe it will reduce your cost.

if you are planning more mods in the future you could get them fitted and left at the standart timing which shouldnt cost you anything if they are doing the timing belt, then later you can get them dialed in. They are only worth doing if you have different mangement first as there will be more gains here

engine mods are:

apexi n1 zorst..with front pipes and dump pipes (no cat)

k&n pod filters

avc-r - 14 pound boost

...with this it made 220kw at the wheels...but it cut out due to the speed cut.

ermm....and in the future i will be fitting a power fc, and maybe do a turbo upgrade.....depends on money.....but yeah...definately a power fc!!:uh-huh:

Have to agree, stick them in and later when you have your FC and a few other goodies spend the money on a decent dyno tune.

These two magazine articles, do they give before and after valve timing figures, and if so could someone please post them ?

Stock factory 32/33GTR inlet cam opens 7 BTDC, closes 57 ABDC

exhaust cam opens 63 BBDC, closes 7 BTDC (BTDC is correct)

The stock settings have zero valve overlap.