SAU Community

Replacement Turbo Gauge?

DAVE CONNOR

I recently had the car serviced (R33 GTS25t ), and one of the problems was the standard dashboard turbo dial was not working properly, it seemed stuck @ about -3 with the engine off or running, and hardly moved above zero. We decided to put in an extra meter which is now connected just before the inlet manifold. It is a dial that has (Kilo Pascalsx100) as as the units, ranging from -1 to +1.5. I,ve just rewired the earth of the boost control solenoid which has given alot of extra boost and am a bit concerned that it may be producing too much boost. What I dont understand is that the new gauge shows 0 when the ignition is on, going down to about minus 0.5 when the engine is ticking over, and up to about +0.6 when I give it some stick. What I want to know is this:

1) Should it be @ -0.5 on tickover or have I got an air leak

2) Is the total boost value -0.5 to +0.6 ( 1.1 total ) or just the +0.6

I've figured out that 1 p.s.i = 6895 pascall so I guess I'm doing either:

1.1x100x1000/ 6895 = 15.95 p.s.i ( No way jose! )

0.6x100x1000/6895 = 8.7p.s.i

I pretty sure that a standard turbo won't get up to 16 p.s.i so I suppose it just worries me that the gauge is on a negative figure on tickover.

Sorry this is so long winded but if anyone can shed some light on this it would help me alot.

Thanks!

when it goes to -1 with engine running that is because its under vacuum

my stock boost guage shows -3 on vacuum and my hks evc3 shows -455mmhg

around 7-8psi is about right for the solenoid ground trick, sounds fine (about 3/4 on stock guage)