SAU Community

Blown a RB20DET 5spd, What should I do now

VLRB20DET

Ok I blew my RB20DET 5spd man box at local drags using slicks

Whats the best way to get strengh so this wont happen again

now im contemplating in either using a RB25DET 5spd as they are supposed to be stronger than the RB20DET unit, Also will my RB20 clutch (exedy HD) be ok to use with the RB25 box??

or is there any auto boxes that are strong that will work, like RB20 or RB25???

I just dont want to go back out again and destroy another gearbox on slicks...

Do in this order

1.Bin RB20det box

2.Laugh at how small it is

3.Find RB25det box

4.Admire it's fatness and giggle like a school girl

But seriously it will bolt to the RB20,use the RB20 flywheel/clutch,you need to mod the gearbox mount with some flat bar,use R33 slave,shifter and the yoke or vlt yoke.Speedo,if it's cable I hear a cut down?vlt sender could work

How much power are you making, and what sort of rpm did u decide to dump the clutch at? Are you wanting a straight bolt up gearbox, im guessing you have an rb20 in a vl? what about the mx7? rb30et gearbox. You could always get anything, just depending how much money you want to spend. You could go all out and get a tremec tko 6 spd :rolleyes: haha

whats the point of a yoke when they are pressed and seal uni joints and have to be scrapped???

I got a yoke with my 5psd but when i took it to the driveline place they said they couldnt use it. I think i ended up getting a suitable Mark William "V8 Supercar spec" yoke with replaceable uni joints for SFA

question for r31power, im curently chucking a rb25det into my 32 which had a rb20de and i have encounted the problem u are talking about where my speedo is cable but the gearbox is not... what solution do u sugest???

i am in the middle of the same gearbox convert. All boxes seem to be from $1500 to $2000. The yolks as far as i know can be blended with the standard uni. I have a friend who did this convert and thats what he did and it seemed to work. Not 100% sure but thats what he said.

Are you guys still talking about a second hand box???

Why bother putting in a box that has had the k's wound up on it already, and god knows how that was treated. Why dont you just get a box and rebuild it properly with all new bearing cogs, the lot. Of course strengthened parts. Might cost more, but hey, for that peace of mind ...

and mx7's arent that bad, i had a vlt gave them thing so much shit, was on the way out when i got it, and was still going 18 mths later. with plenty of flat changes. haha