SAU Community

RB20 fast idle

juicen

Hey kids,

I was posting in another topic but I thought I'd start fresh.

My car (R32 RB20DET) idles realtively OK when its cold (about 1100rpm) but when the needle reaches the middle of the temp gauge, it idles at about 2000rpm - and about 1600rpm with the air-con on.

- The car idles LOWER with the air-con ON (i would've thought the idle control would adjust in the opposite direction to compensate for compressor?)

- It idles HIGHER as the car gets warmer

- I've read topics that say to clean the AAC and they talk about a spring and that it should function properly - I pulled mine apart and cleaned it with carby cleaner (which didn't fix the problem) - and NO spring was present. Can someone tell me where the spring is supposed to be?

Pics of my AAC below

HHHEEELLLPPP PPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEE

Cheers,

Jason

Is it missing or otherwise sounding lumpy?

Generally what happens if it detects irregular idling, it'll bump up the idle to compensate. Could be what's happening there. So could be nothing to do with the AAC..

Check the AFM as well.. give that a clean as well..

Check for vacuum leaks, mine idled really high when it had a few leaks. Worst culprit was a vacuum hose missing of the REAR fuel pressure reg. (R32's have 2) This is what was causing my high idle

My two suggestions:

1)  Your Air Flow meter is either f*cked, or,

2) You have a big aftermarket fuel pump without engine management

2) is exactly what I got! THANKS!

I've got an S-AFC2 to install - I guess that'll help me adjust the idle (assuming all else engine-wise is OK)

Or I might put in my GTR pump that I have - I don't know whats in there now but its noisy

Thanx everyone else too - I'll clean my AFM just for good measure