SAU Community

Skyline Number plate size problem.

RedDrifter

As many of you skyline enthusiust may have noticed is that the QLD std number plates are a tab to long to fit correctly into the front and rear(rear especially) of the car in the factory designated spots.

What can be doen to fix this problem?

I origionaly had the edges of the plate bent to fit but I got defected for this last year just after the new year.

So to fix this problem I cut the edges of the plate about 2mm each side.

I just got a fine for this on satrday night.

I have had a look and noticed that the coloured edges are fine still and haven't been toched. The number plate can be read 45 degs top ,bottom,left and right

at a distance of 20 metres.

I dont beleive that I have done anything wrong.

If the stock QLD plates don't fit what can we do? The transport department don't want to know about it and the QLD coppers love it for revfenue raising(dare I say that).

How many of you out there have fallen into this problem and what can be done about it.

The cops have been really cracking down on this is the Brisbane area lately on imports, especially silvias. The copper told me mine were ok. I've got an R33 with the indy brace yourself personalised plates. I think they are only just ok because of the QLD part down the left hand side.

I'd suggest making up some type of metal bracket so they can sit nicely along the back bar without bending/cutting the plates because that is also illegal.

tell them to **** off.. there is nothing you can do about it to change it as that is the way the car is desgined.. short of QLD transport changing the plate design.

moving the plate will also make it defectable, as you won't have any number plate lights on it.

well i have personalized plates. thats 1 option. and get slimline for the front and american style for the rear. go to www.ppq.com.au and take a look at there plates. mite be of help if u want to do that.

why the **** should you have to pay big $$$ to get slimline plates and support the rort that is the ppq scheme if you don't want to ?

its bullshit, it's all bullshit.. cops are shitheads.. go speak to one of the senior people the police station where you were booked and ask them how there is meant to be a solution. It's like saying "oh we've decided having 4 wheels is defectable.. but go fix it eh"

yep its illegal to bend or cut a number plate. Its plain and simple against the law and I doubt that going and talking to the head officer of the station you were booked at is going to do anything about it either, they never want to hear about it as its their employee. If i were you id winge a little (send a letter to the police commisioner of QLD), send the fine back saying your contesting it, then contest it if it ever goes to court as it costs you nothing really. Then if you lose, which you probably will, make up brackets to try and fit the number plate out from the normal slot or you may have to drill holes into the bar to put it on....That or get personalies plates...its b.s but the police will just say it was your choice to buy a non australian car, bring it up to standards or wear the fines. I think its an absolute F*CKING LOAD OF SH*T and when I am finished my degree if I ever get caught for something stupid like this I will F*CK over whoever I can to get the ruled change as legal costs will be "free". Sorry to hear about it, keep us updated on progress.

you can bend the end lips though enough not to obscure things.. just get it on a flat edge and start bashing with a hammer until 90deg

sorry thats illegal too...I checked this out when I had my other plates

tell them to **** off.. there is nothing you can do about it to change it as that is the way the car is desgined.. short of QLD transport changing the plate design.  

moving the plate will also make it defectable, as you won't have any number plate lights on it.

why the **** should you have to pay big $$$ to get slimline plates and support the rort that is the ppq scheme if you don't want to ?  

its bullshit, it's all bullshit.. cops are shitheads.. go speak to one of the senior people  the police station where you were booked and ask them how there is meant to be a solution.  It's like saying "oh we've decided having 4 wheels is defectable.. but go fix it eh"

this is why i wrote " IF YOU WANT TOO" not every1 has too, but he mite not have thought of it yet. but yes, other than spending $$$ to try and combat it there isnt really a fix.

i just got some new plates on my skyline... all u have to do it bend the ****er a little bit and then it will fit sweet !!!

thats what we're talking about here...you can be fined for that...bending or cutting a government issued number plate is illegal

i got done in a vehicle inspection, luckily i was on my way home from a law exam and the cop saw me comin out of uni so he was rather easy on me after i told him what exam it was (just happened to be police powers!). He didnt fine me and said that if another officer ever tries to fine me ask them to do the 45 degree test and when it passes that tell them that only a department of transport officer can fine you.

By the way, this is for having ure plates cut slightly, not bent. But mine are cut in such a way that u can still just see the outlines of the red border