SAU Community

RB20DET Intercooler too big?

DRFT 14

I decided not to bother fitting the standard rb20 intercooler when I did the Rb20 conversion into my S14. I looked around for a bit and a 600*300*100 Intercooler came up for a good price. I bought that and used 2 1/2inch piping in the "accross the engine bay" configiration. (pics in my profile). Now the question is. do you think this intercooler setup is too big for the RB20DET? Other mods are a 3inch exhaust and an HKS filter. Launching first gear and grabbing second results in the engine bogging down rather than spinning up second gear. Kind of like my SR20DE used to

:bs!: . This is rather worrying. I wasnt expecting this. Dont get me wrong, the motor makes really good power and im really happy with it in a streight line. But the main purpose of the conversion was to make the car a better drifter. I dont want traction. Should I have gone for a 600*300*76 and 2inch piping instead?

Cheers

I doubt its the cooler.

It might make it a bit laggier... slightly.

Have you measured boost @ the turbo, and boost @ the plenum?

That would show up a loss of boost etc.

But remember the SR is a torque motor, the RB20 is a piece of sh|t

...But remember the SR is a torque motor, the RB20 is a piece of sh|t

You will look real funny trying to chew that brick im gonna shove down your throat just before i jam your RB25 up your a55 :(

.....jk ;) RB20 POWAH 4 EVA!!!!!

LOL. bogs down in 2nd? What tyres, what diff, what clutch, what sort of rwhp? With 222rwkws and 225/45/17 semi slicks, 5 puck clutch and Bilsteins i struggle to get 2nds...so?!?!?!?!?

Hi DRFT 14, this is a post I prepared earlier, I strongly suggest you do the numbers on your set up and check the ratios;

Here is an example of 4 intercooler setups and pipework we have actually used;

1. R33 GTST Standard Intercooler and standard R32 GTST pipework

150 rwkw = 27 lbs of air per min @ 13 litres of i/c & pipework

2. Supra Intercooler and matching 63mm pipework

180 rwkw = 30 lbs of air per min @ 15 litres of i/c & pipework

3. Standard GTR GTR and 63/75mm pipework

250 rwkw = 40 lbs of air per min @ 21 litres of i/c & pipework

4. Greddy 600 X 300 X 115 and 80 mm pipework

400 rwkw = 60 lbs of air per min @ 28 litres of i/c & pipework

If you look at the numbers you can see that the rate of air flow and the volume of I/C and pipework have a fixed relationship (27 = 13 , 30 = 15 , 40 = 21 , 60 = 28). This is not an accident, I designed it that way. The reason is I wanted to keep the throttle response as close what it was when the car had 150 rwkw, because I though that was very nice response.

The theory I followed was, the more power the engine produces the more air it needs. Thus if I keep the increase in the volume of air inside the inlet system in the same proportion as the power increase, then the throttle response should stay the same. This is based on the engine using the air in the same time frame.

So when people say they fitted a FMIC and have not noticed any less throttle response, my response would be, that is what I would expect. As long as they went from 150 rwkw to 180 rwkw. On the other hand, if there was no power increase then it would be simply physically impossible for there to be no decrease in throttle response.

The problem of poor throttle response arrises when you have a 220 rwkw engine with a 28 litre inlet system. This is something I see way to often.

Hope that helps:cheers:

Cheers for that mate. And for those that asked, ive got a mechanical SPEC R LSD. Tein type ha coilovers, pinapples installed in the 'drift' configeration and 235 tires. The clutch seems ok, doesnt slip at all......I guess il sort out my overheating problems first (overheating even after two 12inch fans installed) then il get onto my 'too much traction' issues. :( Cheers guys