SAU Community

R33 Auto stalling at low RPM & low speed

Wink

My auto R33 seems to stall sometimes when I'm at low speed or low RPM. This most often happens when turning without much (if any) throttle applied. The times it has happened were usually after I had been driving for awhile at 60km/h and over. Then when it came to a fairly slow turn (at traffic lights), the car would stall during the turn.

Is it because I need to give it more throttle during my turns? I've never driven an auto which requires more throttle to keep the RPMs up to prevent stalling so I'm not sure if this is the problem or not.

However, it works fine when I'm reversing without throttle or when I'm turning in/out of my driveway without any throttle being applied (just leaving it in D and then letting the car roll).

I've got Overdrive on and the Power and Snow switches to off.

Any ideas anybody?

I've noticed that after I changed my spark plugs that when I start to accelerate from stand still that the revs drop down so low that it almost stalls. This has only happened when I went from a 11 gap to a 8 gap. Don't know why but gonna put the old ones back in to see if it fixes it!

I'm having the same problem. At first I thought it was just cos I used BP Ultimate (I pulled into a service station, BP, first day I got the car in the middle of nowhere with an empty tank and I opened the fuel door and it said "Optimax Only" in big letters....)

It's been happening less (I think) since I put Optimax in but it happened again yesterday, mostly sitting at lights, and once when I braked hard to give way just before a right turn and it stalled.

I have an atmo BOV, is this causing it somehow?

The only answer I've found to avoiding it at lights (most common time to stall) is leave a good 6 feet to the car in front, if I feel it start to stall take foot off brake and roll a couple feet forward, brings the revs up and stops it stalling. Also using handbrake at lights keeps the revs higher.

Was gonna bring it up when I get the car checked over by mechanic in a couple weeks.

A) You don't have to use Optimax ONLY. Just anything over 98 RON

B) Also have a look at your Air flow meter.

I have a spare one if you want to borrow/buy

I had the exact same thing. Changed AFM and it fixed it.

• 2 weeks later...

im oppsite from that wen eva im on hill and my car seems to stall and if i give some gas, it would bunny hop really bad !!!!! any 1 know exprienced this probelm ?? some 1 sed u cant let the fuel get too low ????

Like knore said.....check basics first. I would then point to things like AAC valve, TPS and AFM. Only because they are common problems with these models. AAC valve should up the idle when load is applied to the engine with the buttflies closed ie. I have a manual and I can idle up my street in first gear with no accell. it is a small hill and the AAC valve picks the idle up to keep it driving.

If everything looks alright or test alright. Try cleaning things like throttle body, AFM and AAC valve. Use something like throttle body cleaner or carby cleaner but DO NOT spray the throttle body direct with the cleaner. it can burn out the TPS. Instead, spray onto a rag and wipe the T/body clean with it.

Check to see if a power steering pressure switch is present. I;m not quite sure if there is one there. This could also be faulty as it would not tell the AAC valve that pressure is rising in the rack.