SAU Community

Water in rear spoiler 32 GTR

reni

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this problem :( I kept hearing a water sloshing sound every time I opened the boot. First thoughts were in the spoiler, but couldn't see any holes so I was worried it might be the boot lid. Thankfully it wasn't.

I completely removed the spoiler (two bolts for each "stand"; there is also some stick strips to hold in in place), removed the bracket inside the stands (two screws on the inside of the stands) and undid the row of screws along the underneath of the spoiler. The amount of pressure that had built up in the wing was quite impressive (large hissing noise when I undid the screws). I spent the better part of half an hour removing probably a litre of water by rocking the wing side to side. I also use an air compressor to try and blow out the water.

Then just did the operation in reverse to reattach.

Like jake32, I am completely puzzled how water go in there. There is no obvious entry point, and the fact that there was a buildup of pressure suggests it was reasonably air tight. Weird.

LW.

Thanks Lucien, I'm in the same boat (pardon the pun) as Reni.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Your welcome. One thing I would add: have a stanley knife blade (or similar) around in case you need to cut through the sticky stuff used to hold down the outer edges of the wing.

Also, when/if you take off the brackets inside the wing struts, be careful not to loose the washers.

LW.

Lets see....

Clock timer on dash NEVER worked.

AFM's can crap out (Did some serious damage on my old car)

Water in the boot everytime I washed or it rained on car.

Front left light likes to crap out (sometimes can be fixed by banging on headlight)

Gasket behind turbine craps out easily

Thats about it. Oh.... BIGGEST common problem....

Too much fun. :)

Hi Mark,

Your welcome.  One thing I would add: have a stanley knife blade (or similar) around in case you need to cut through the sticky stuff used to hold down the outer edges of the wing.

Also, when/if you take off the brackets inside the wing struts, be careful not to loose the washers.

LW.

if you just drill 3mm hole at each end..open the boot water will drain out..and will in future if holes are not blocked...saves the hassle of removing..

if you just drill 3mm hole at each end..open the boot water will drain out..and will in future if holes are not blocked...saves the hassle of removing..

I can't bring myself to drill holes in my baby :)

Besides which, the wing removal is only a 5 minute job at best.

LW.

• 6 months later...

Ha!

I had water I my boot too! I just removed, popped two holes in either end ( underneath where it contacts the boot, so I see no problem) and pressurized the thing with an air gun. At LEAST a liter of water came out.

My friends have many theories, from a crane operator dropping my car into Tokyo bay while maneuvering it onto a boat, to consistent cleaning with a high pressure gurney.

Would love to know… maybe one for Dr Karl.

- M

I also had this same problem with mine, i took it off to see what it would look like spoilerless and it was incredibly heavy and i heard water sloshing around so i drained it and it was so much lighter. It was completley full!

just got my gtr32 on the 2/9/05, is water in the spoiler of a GTR32 a common problem??? is it a problem or is it spos to be there???? is the water dirty/clean when it comes out??? but Ive had a quick look at mine and I cant see how it would get in there??? but if its not ment to be in there I would have thort that someone like border patrol would have had a look at the water...

and to say that there is pressure in there aswell???

Im only asking coz I dont want to drain it out then put it back in.....

thought i'd add to the 'water in spoiler' crew..

i had it in mine too, but since i made the dealer take it off and fill in the holes and remove the boot key hole and spray it etc i didn't bother taking the water out the spoiler cos its in the shed..!

there is definately something weird about this water in spoiler epidemic..

i'd say its from the repeated washing they get through dealers and customs and compliance etc

I will throw a spanner in the compliance / boat water theory.

Mine's an Aus delivered and it has water in the boot spoiler too... go figure.

Remember the at the blade on an R32GTR rear wing is a two piece moulding so there may be some way (?) water gets in there...