SAU Community

can i run engine hard when it's still cold?

sky

It is strongly not recommended to run your car hard until it's up to proper operating temperature.

I know with my kart racing that we shouldn't push it hard until the temp. is up as the piston will obviously be revving hard causing friction and in turn heat. When something heats up it expands, if the piston/ring expand and the cylinder doesn't (because it's in the process of warming the coolant/water around the cylinder) then it can cause the engine to brake.

Even though you have oil lubricating the parts, if something is heating/expanding at a different rate to another part it causes problems.

Espectually with turbos, as the compressor/turbine wheel heat up and expand, the turbo housing must expand with it.

It's like when in bed with a girl, if you put something fat and hard into...... u get the point :)

Yep, you need to work gently her to get her up to operating temperature.

If you don't then the lube won't be doing its job and you will chew out her lumps. :)

Water temp is irrelevant, once water temp is up to operating temp you then have to wait approx 7mins for the oil to come up to operating temp.

So if the Skyline is running correctly this will be around 10mins of driving.

Mine takes 2-3mins for the water temp to come up.

And dont forget that even if you warm up the engine's temps to operating range while stationary (eg in the morning), your gearbox wouldn't have had the chance to warm up and would need a few mins to catch up.

No never rev it till it's reached operating temp.

But hey if you do and u blow the motor which u will, I can find u a buyer who will take it off ur hands for cheap.

PS: I bought my gtst off a p plater who did exactly that, I snapped it up for real cheap :(

Especially if you run forged piston's, these are ment to be warmed up properly as they expand and contract in the cylinder, You can hear it when the car is cold if you try and rev over 3k it doesnt sound all their.

This is the same when you are running in you'r new forged piston engine, too much RPM = boost = air blowing past rings cause not run in properly.

As other's have said you'r just asking for trouble.

sorry guy, what i was saying is that the engine is operating at normal oil temperature and the water tempearture is say 60degree instead of 80degree. ie can i run hard when the engine water is alot cooler then stock due to better cooling system?

I dunno about no >2500RPM for 10 mins, there's no way I'd spend that long that low with my RB20DET, i'd never get anywhere! ;)

For me i just pay attention to how "hard" i drive it rather than keeping it below a set Revs amount, I'll rev up to 3500RPM odd but do it smoothly, no sharp acceleration or hard launches, until it gets warm! :(

exactly, if you keep it under boost it means your not gonna be pulling silly revs anyway.

by the way why would you want to drive your car hard when the water temp is cool? If you do boost it around when cold, the water temp will come up super fast anyways.

As for your 60 degree running temperature due to a better cooling system, what happened to your thermostat?