SAU Community

help advice and parts needed

Jaystar

hey all

i unfortunately have oil leaking from the back passenger corner of my head.

I am wondering if anyone has bought a vrs kit for the rb20det in brisbane from anyone besides nissan and repco and ontop of that was considering putting in a metal head gasket while i have the head off...and wondering where guys have got these from in the past what size and how much?

Also will be sending my head to the machine shop to be skimmed and have my valves reseated if ok...and am wondering what advice people have as to what else i should ask them to do while they have my head but knowing that i am on a tight budget.

Need help and parts urgently and so all advice and helping me get what i need would be muchly appreciated as at the moment am sorta without a car

i have posted this in here as i would prefer locations in qld but if need be will look into other states and get delivered.

thanx all

Jason

Why not from Nissan or Repco?

I got my full set from Repco about 2-3 months ago.

It is a monotorque set. Excellent quality and most of the gaskets are either geniune or imported from Japan anyway.

Metal head gasket is not worth getting done as you will have to get the block ringed to suit it. Also if you are not putting out any decent horsepower then it is a waste of time for the $300 they cost to buy.

You could get your head ported while it is off. That is if you are planning to get the valves reseated. You might as well squeeze 50 more horsies outta your engine.

Is the leak definately coming from the head and not a rocker cover gasket or something silly like that?

PM me if you still wanna buy the gasket set and I'll get it a lot cheaper than you can.....a lot cheaper.

nah its definetly not a rocker cover i have already done those...and have inspected it a couple of times after hosing down on hoist at work.

Repco quoted i think it was 410 for the kit but have found a place in sydney that will do the vrs kit for 285 it think plus delivery

Now i am reading all about the rb25's with metal head gaskets and stuff and others than have done them to an rb20 and wondering if you can explain further so i understand why i shouldnt do it...next mods being bigger turbo and aftermarket ecu as i have a few mods already and am looking to gets some hp out of her in the near future.

cheers

Metal head gaskets 101:

Not very reliable - only sealed by sealant

Very overpriced and not necessary unless you will be looking at figures above 500hp at the wheels.

You must get copper rings made onto the block surface around the pistons - Expensive

If it blows - people say they are re-usable but not always the case.

Ultimately it is up to you, but I would seriously talk to a few performance shops around and get more information before you make up your own mind.

I considered doing it to mine when I did the rebuild too but it was going to cost nearly $800 to get it done and I was told by many that it was not necessary with only 400hp and that it is easier for the head gasket to blow through the sealant.